UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Silva to Weidman: Wait for your opportunity

9/21/12 9:32 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
910 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Weidman's anger is somewhat justified, as the 28-year-old ultimately gave up his pursuit of "The Spider" after UFC officials promised him Silva wouldn't be accepting anymore fights for the rest of the year. That, of course, wound up to be untrue. And now that he's back in the game, the champ has a simple, unapologetic message for the young challenger.

"Everything has it's time," Silva replied in a conference call with Brazilian media, translated by Guilherme Cruz of Tatame. "He'll have his opportunity to fight for the belt. Maybe I fight next before he gets the shot, I lose and he fights someone else. We don't know. I can fight Bonnar, lose and say: ‘you know what, I don't want it anymore'. Or maybe I win and say ‘I don't want this anymore'. Or maybe drop to welterweight or move up to heavyweight. Anything can happen. Every UFC fighter will have their chance. You have to work and wait for your opportunity."

Seeing as Silva's next opponent is projected to be UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre, unfortunately for Weidman, that opportunity may been farther away he'd like to admit.

read entire article...

9/21/12 9:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lazer MMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/21/12 9:51 AM

Love the talk of higher weight class fights by AS! Hope he means it. Also I'm okay if he chases GSP and fights at 170 first (GSP will NOT fight him at any other weight IMO). I agree Weidman will get his shot and I'm tired of the conversion (gross understatement).

I think AS knows he MUST challenge only top fighters at this point. Weidman winning a couple of more fights can only help make that fight bigger.
9/21/12 10:07 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ElChupacabra1982 - Weidman is talented, but he hasn't beaten anyone.

He has beaten better competition than most of the others in the MW division right now.
9/21/12 10:28 AM
X_Rated
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimonos Revenge -

He has beaten better competition than most of the others in the MW division right now.
Unquestionably.

MW is strange though... There hasn't been a clear cut contender in a long time. I mean I wasn't initially impressed with How Chael was given his first shot, or how Yushin earned his, or how Maia was gifted it.

Was Hendo the last clear cut contender?

Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit... But yeah the MW landscape is weird Phone Post
9/21/12 10:33 AM
SQUEEZIE

it shouldnt be about ppv and names. chris is the best in that division...if u dont think he is anderson, then crush him and end of story. and u dont want to fight any of the 205ers who we want to see u fight but your going to go fight heavy weight. against who? tre or tank,kimbo maybe?
i just dont get it...if its all about the fans and finding out who's skillz are better than fight jbj,machida or glover! shit fight rua,gust,shad or chris. the fight that the fans want to see. i think andy is top 5 p4p ever but i wil never say he is the best due to his lack of competition...vitor and hendo are the only two guys he has fought in the ufc that are truly great too.after that its rich chael then okami.thats really not impressive compared to other guys top wins...jbj yr and a hlf run is far more impressive.
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimonos Revenge -

They need to develop a true contender there. I think Weidman needs to just take a chill pill Phone Post
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
747 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anything can happen.....except fight with Jon Jones. Phone Post
9/21/12 10:38 AM
REDRUM_NYC

They are scared of Weidman... deep down they just are... read between the lines....

Anderson is still the GOAT but its a duck job and a half....

9/21/12 10:40 AM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive - 
Chimonos Revenge -

They need to develop a true contender there. I think Weidman needs to just take a chill pill Phone Post

Which is exactly what the Weidman vs Boetsch fight will be.

Weidman is anxious, he just needs to be a little more patient and focus on winning that fight, and he'll get his shot.
9/21/12 10:43 AM
MMALOGIC

weidman is the only interesting fight at 185 for anderson except nobody knows who he is.  Weidman should clean up the rest of the guys (boestch, bisping, get some more experience and then it will be a proper event.
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

the article should mention that this was in response to a very direct question of whether or not he would have faced weidman at 153...if anderson truly did all of this just to save the already stacked 153 card, then he could have easily said "yes, i would have fought weidman at 205"...but alas....
in_different
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets all be real about this.

Weidman can use the extra time to prepare. Silva is coming off a very similar stylistic threat (imo a better one), and if Weidman keeps winning fights then he will get his shot.

Why is everyone so pissed about this? Its simple, if Weidman is the best in the MW division, he can beat the other fighters. all he has to do is win one more and he wont be denies his shot this next time around.

At the present moment, not enough people get excited to watch him fight. he'll get his shot (though its not going to go his way)
9/21/12 10:49 AM
dogfb
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silva is so boss. He is basically telling Weidman he is the king and does what he wants. 
9/21/12 10:59 AM
REDRUM_NYC

Sponsored by
9/21/12 11:02 AM
mijo

Lol@Weidman being best in division. Phone Post
9/21/12 11:09 AM
AK-BJJ

I'm kind of surprised Dana is letting Anderson do all this stuff actually. I think Anderson has earned some right to chose his career path from here on out, BUT... He needs to do one of two things:

1 - Defend his title against whatever contender is up next

or

2 - Vacate the 185 pound belt and bounce around making huge fights

He can't hold the division hostage, and if someone builds themselves as a big money star and champion at 85 in the next couple years... Come back to claim what is yours in a giant middleweight title fight!
9/21/12 11:12 AM

AK-BJJ - I'm kind of surprised Dana is letting Anderson do all this stuff actually. I think Anderson has earned some right to chose his career path from here on out, BUT... He needs to do one of two things:

or

He can't hold the division hostage, and if someone builds themselves as a big money star and champion at 85 in the next couple years... Come back to claim what is yours in a giant middleweight title fight!

anderson has earned the right to pick and choose his fights...that is absolutely true...and even dana knows this...

9/21/12 11:15 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - the article should mention that this was in response to a very direct question of whether or not he would have faced weidman at 153...if anderson truly did all of this just to save the already stacked 153 card, then he could have easily said "yes, i would have fought weidman at 205"...but alas....

LMAO at this pathetic demand....

He should fight Weidman at 205 now? Why the fuck would they waste taht fight in the division above where the belt is. Why would Weidman want to risk everything against the GOAT if the belt isn't even on the line?

You know how I know you're obsessed?
9/21/12 11:18 AM

UGCTT_LnPninja - 
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku - the article should mention that this was in response to a very direct question of whether or not he would have faced weidman at 153...if anderson truly did all of this just to save the already stacked 153 card, then he could have easily said "yes, i would have fought weidman at 205"...but alas....

LMAO at this pathetic demand....

He should fight Weidman at 205 now? Why the fuck would they waste taht fight in the division above where the belt is. Why would Weidman want to risk everything against the GOAT if the belt isn't even on the line?

You know how I know you're obsessed?

ummm what deman?

i am saying he could have easily answered the question, yes...

u know how i know your obssessed ?

9/21/12 11:31 AM
Toquinho
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like a Bawwws Phone Post
9/21/12 11:31 AM
AssassinsNATION

Warzone209 -  wait till i retire and duck u  is what i got from that.
You would and expected seeings how your a negative person. Phone Post
9/21/12 11:42 AM
UGCTT_LnPninja

^^^^^ You do realize taht at 37 years old, 2012 will be the first time Anderson only fought once in a year...oh wait he took the 205 fight on short notice to help the UFC...

Since joining the UFC Anderson averages over 2 fights per year kid. ;)
9/21/12 11:58 AM
daishanjamin

Warzone209 - 
UGCTT_LnPninja -  ^^^^^ You do realize taht at 37 years old, 2012 will be the first time Anderson only fought once in a year...oh wait he took the 205 fight on short notice to help the UFC...

Since joining the UFC Anderson averages over 2 fights per year kid. ;)

Ya and dan henderson is 42 and fought 3 times last year,  Fedor announced retirement after the hendo fight and still fought 3 people after..

im not a kid idiot and im not even going to count a fight where he's a -1300  favorite which is like the highest ever in mma a give me payday as a valid title defense and a "fight" in 2012...

Point is we seen what chael can do to anderson take him down at will well now heres a guy who can take him down at will and actually won't get subbed out easily which chael is known to get and also has subs of his own. 

What funny is you're saying 37 is like senior citizen status or some shit.. Pat militich and alot of mma trainers say 28-36 is still prime.. oh hes 1 year over prime time to hang it up? When the fuck has anderson even been rocked or cut open he has taken virtually no heavy dmg at least that i've seen in a fight to cut his career short.

Dan Henderson is on synthetic hormones to keep him in the gym and he just injured himself so maybe he should be fighting less himself. Anderson has earned the right to take it easy from time to time. You don't know what kind of injuries he has had in training. I'm 35 and when I work out 5 days a week I don't even want to get out of bed somedays, and I can't even imagine what doing a mma super athlete's workout all week long would feel like, plus getting punched and kicked all the time.
9/21/12 12:22 PM
mixedmartialparks
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AK-BJJ - I'm kind of surprised Dana is letting Anderson do all this stuff actually. I think Anderson has earned some right to chose his career path from here on out, BUT... He needs to do one of two things:

or

This!!

/Thread

9/21/12 12:35 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Warzone209 -  i may move up to HW?..really to fight JDS his friend/ training partner...And nothing about LHW because ya if he's ducking weidman he wants no part of JBJ lol...but small man GSP is what he put on the table.
Why do you keep saying this stuff? Silva is closer to gsp in weight and reach. Gsp weighs within 5-8 pounds of Silva on fight night despite being in a lower weight class.

I don't see you clamoring for Jones to go up to heavyweight when hes fighting guys who would cut less to make 185 than Jones does to make 205. Why? Aside from a hate/love motivated opinion. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.