UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rashad: I let Vitor know where Jones is weakest

9/21/12 11:35 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1030 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Rashad Evans and Jon Jones famously 'divorced', with Evans leaving Jackson's MMA, and eventually founded the Blackzilian fight team. Evans and Jones fought at UFC 145, with Evans losing a lopsided decision, but became the first and to date only fighter to go all five rounds with Jones. In so doing, he feels he learned where Jones is weakest.

Belfort is now training with the Blackzilians, and Evans says although he will not name them, he has shared with the Brazilian the places he feels Jones can be beat.

"I picked up a lot," said Jones in a recent interview on  Spike TV's MMA Uncensored Live. "I was in there for five rounds. I saw a lot, and I felt a lot. I have a pretty good idea of some the things he's strong at and some of the things he's weak at."

"I hit him with a few good shots, and I had a few good opportunities, in the fight, but I just wasn't able to stay at the level for the whole fight. I've been working on myself to make sure that never happens again. I let myself down, in that area -- being conditioned to fight that kind of fight and to keep the kind of pace I needed to stay at. I think that Vitor -- we train him enough to be able to fight where I wasn't able to."

But what if Belfort wins? Will Evans now once again find himself having to fight a teammate for the title?

"No," said Evans definitively. "I'm not gonna fight Belfort. I'll figure out a fight for me. You know, Jon Jones was saying, 'I dunno what Rashad's doing. He's coaching somebody to fight for the belt that he wants.' I do want the belt, but when you compete, and you really have a love for competing, you understand what it's really about. What's for me is for me, and what's for somebody else is for somebody else. I believe I'm gonna get mine, either way. I don't see a problem with helping somebody else become champion."

So will be drop to middleweight and fight his way to title contention?

"I would consider dropping to 185, but the problem is, I'm kinda heavy right now. I might have to do a practice cut to get down there before I make any commitment to fight at 185. I've never cut weight like that, not since college. And, I always told myself, I said, 'If I compete again, there's no way that I'll turn myself into what I did in college, as far as living just to cut weight and stuff like that.' If the offer is interesting enough, I'll drop down. But, if not, I'll stay at 205. It makes no sense for me to drop down to 185 to be right in the same position I'm in now at 205."

Read entire article...

9/21/12 11:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Symbolic
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad said he wouldn't fight Vitor since they're teammates now, I wonder if Vitor would feel the same way in the future if it ever came up. He trained with Anderson before and he fought him without hesitation Phone Post
9/21/12 12:22 PM
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

More of this crap? Fighters need to grow up and stop pretending they won't fight for a title when the chance comes up. How many times has a title shot ever been turned down, because an associate was holding the belt? Has it ever happened even once? Rashad is only saying these things, because he knows Vitor winning is very unlikely.
9/21/12 12:27 PM
SQUIRREL Master
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stonepony - More of this crap? Fighters need to grow up and stop pretending they won't fight for a title when the chance comes up. How many times has a title shot ever been turned down, because an associate was holding the belt? Has it ever happened even once? Rashad is only saying these things, because he knows Vitor winning is very unlikely.

this!!
9/21/12 12:28 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pretty sure Vitor would not have a problem fighting Rashad if he had to.
9/21/12 12:29 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
544 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Symbolic - Rashad said he wouldn't fight Vitor since they're teammates now, I wonder if Vitor would feel the same way in the future if it ever came up. He trained with Anderson before and he fought him without hesitation Phone Post
Well going by history Vitor would probably go somewhere else and be willing to fight him Phone Post
9/21/12 12:32 PM
Lobo8

Chimonos Revenge - Pretty sure Vitor would not have a problem fighting Rashad if he had to.

Vitor is all bussiness. Him training with overeem, proves that.
9/21/12 12:57 PM
joesonshuevos
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, if Vitor wins at 205, Evans won't fight him. But may go to 185. So, they would swap weight classes?
9/21/12 1:10 PM
DudShuTFKUP

Rashad tells vitor about Jons weakness!?wait,who won that fight!?sorry rashad ,but Jons expose your weakness in that fight bro,not the opposite. Phone Post
9/21/12 1:14 PM
Stea1th

DudShuTFKUP -  Rashad tells vitor about Jons weakness!?wait,who won that fight!?sorry rashad ,but Jons expose your weakness in that fight bro,not the opposite. Phone Post

What weakness did he exactly expose?
9/21/12 1:16 PM
sextoymagic
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rashad knows jones weakness?? I don't see that when they fought. Phone Post
9/21/12 1:18 PM
Chimonos Revenge
264 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DudShuTFKUP -  Rashad tells vitor about Jons weakness!?wait,who won that fight!?sorry rashad ,but Jons expose your weakness in that fight bro,not the opposite. Phone Post

Im sure Rashad has some insights into Jones style after being a training and sparring partner with him for years, and then fighting him for 25 minutes.
9/21/12 1:22 PM
CaptainWoody
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And the dumbest post of the day goes to..DudShuTFKUP

Congrats bro!
9/21/12 1:35 PM
StratTone
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chimonos Revenge - 

Im sure Rashad has some insights into Jones style after being a training and sparring partner with him for years, and then fighting him for 25 minutes.

Man I wouldn't even bother trying to explain that. Like pouring water into a container with holes.
9/21/12 2:02 PM
Winston Wolf

Rashad had nothing for Jones and he thinks he knows his weakness ? phh
9/21/12 2:03 PM
cheesesteak
231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't mean he will be able to exploit it...So far no one can.
9/21/12 2:08 PM
SickEyeDiaz
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DudShuTFKUP - Rashad tells vitor about Jons weakness!?wait,who won that fight!?sorry rashad ,but Jons expose your weakness in that fight bro,not the opposite. Phone Post
That doesn't mean that Evans didn't learn something in that fight. Phone Post
9/21/12 2:08 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom

wha?
9/21/12 2:22 PM
Fabefromfort

Yes Shad was going good in the fight with Jones til the Elbows took over. Shad didn't adjust and just kept walking into the elbows, which still perplexes me !! What kind of corner did he have ? And, why didn't he know Bones has, and can use lethal elbows. Isn't that one of the things he is known for ? After the fight Rashad basically said that the Elbows was news to him. He acted like it was a new weapon for Jones. Anyway, when Shad slipped punches, and traded with Jones he looked good, very much in the fight, if not winning it. Jones was getting caught comming in, and he backed off of the aggression, til he found the range for the elbows, which changed the fight. Yes, it did look like Shad hadn't trained properly for the fight. He needed his cardio, and sport skill specific muscular endurance to be another 2 levels higher to win. Strange, Shad just caught Jones comming in with the right hand, and Jones could sense Shad gassing, and took advantage right away to coast to an easy decision which Evans aquiesced to. If Belfort can get in range, which Jones will avoid, he should land something if Evans can. Belfort's only ally here will be the Cage. He has to time it so that Jones's back is against the cage, or at least, the cage to be nearby when he goes on a flurry. That limits where Jones can move away. He has got to be smart here in his assaults. Pick his spots, stay off the mat. The one thing is he has got to get ready for the elbows. That is Jones's second line of defense, that he uses as an offense sometimes, but lethally. What makes this fight compelling is people think Belfort has the speed and footwork to close the distance. He doesn't need to go Ape-shit right off the bat as some people think, but wouldn't that be fun ? That could last all of 6 seconds though.
9/21/12 2:42 PM
HenryO

KingofBJJ - 
stonepony - More of this crap? Fighters need to grow up and stop pretending they won't fight for a title when the chance comes up. How many times has a title shot ever been turned down, because an associate was holding the belt? Has it ever happened even once? Rashad is only saying these things, because he knows Vitor winning is very unlikely.

Silva and Machida refused to fight each other. There are more important things than fighting for a title.

When you learn that lesson, you will understand meaning of "grow up".

Come on, theyve been training together for 6 months. MMA training needs to become more about the individual
9/21/12 2:50 PM
Strykr619

KingofBJJ - 

Silva and Machida refused to fight each other. There are more important things than fighting for a title.

ROFL at your concept of "growing up" ANY FIGHTER WHO TURNS DOWN A  SHOT at title because their "friend" or "associate" holds the belt is an idiot and deserves to get shit canned.

Is your "friend" going to pay your bills or feed your family? Stop with this budo bullshit. In the end of the day this is a job and fighters will do what ever they need to do to get payed. 
9/21/12 3:20 PM
mchase126
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Strykr619 -
KingofBJJ - 

ROFL at your concept of "growing up" ANY FIGHTER WHO TURNS DOWN A  SHOT at title because their "friend" or "associate" holds the belt is an idiot and deserves to get shit canned.

Is your "friend" going to pay your bills or feed your family? Stop with this budo bullshit. In the end of the day this is a job and fighters will do what ever they need to do to get payed. 
Who does Rashad need to pay his bills? The dude has continually made bank every fight after he lost the title. Phone Post
9/21/12 3:22 PM
Strykr619

mchase126 - 
Strykr619 -
KingofBJJ - 

Who does Rashad need to pay his bills? The dude has continually made bank every fight after he lost the title. Phone Post

I am talking about the whole concept of "i won't fight a teammate". Its stupid plain and simple. 
9/21/12 3:34 PM
DudShuTFKUP

Stea1th -

What weakness did he exactly expose?
Let see,he isolated rashad wrestling pretty easy by staying low and keeping that jap in his face,he kept him backing off all the time so it was hard for rashad to load the powerful right hand of his(loaded it one time when Bones was backing off).i wanted rashad to win so bad ,that I was both angry yet impress with Bones Game Plan! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.