UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Switch from whey to plant protein?

9/23/12 1:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shootfighterbull
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm considering completely removing animal meat, dairy and the like from my diet and switching to plant based protein. Has anyone made the switch, and how was your results? Phone Post
9/23/12 1:48 PM
turducken

i started using this recently: http://vegasport.com/en/recover/performance-protein

i notice zero difference in my strength, cardio or looks. but i am not vegetarian and still eat eggwhites, chicken, fish and now very rarely, grassfed buffalo(i forgot how fucking delicious red meat was).

anyways, that is the best vegan protein i have found, although it is kind of high in sodium. not a problem since i only use 1 scoop per day, but if you are one of those weirdos who uses 3-4 scoops a day, then it might have too much sodium.

i tried going entirely vegan for a few weeks once and really didnt like it. i literally got softer.
9/25/12 10:51 AM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/12 10:52 AM
I didn't eat dairy products other than whey protein anyway. I first cut out meat other than fish because I was scared about protein and losing muscle. That didn't materialize and I found myself eating less and less fish. I now eat almost completely vegan, although I'm not morally bound to it or anything. I might have an egg or some sushi every couple of weeks.

I eat hemp protein in my morning smoothie and post workout. Other than that I just focus on getting either beans or legumes with most meals to keep a reasonable amount of protein. Also avocado, olive oil and other healthy fats to keep full.

Results? I feel incredible most of the time, when I was on a heavily protein/meat based diet I was tired most of the time and making due by pounding energy drinks. I don't need caffeine anymore, I probably save close to $100 a month on not drinking 2+ monsters a day. I feel "light" after meals, not weighed down if that makes sense.

Strength and bodyweight has not dropped at all, I can bench and squat the exact same numbers which is a little surprising considering I've been focusing mostly on endurance sports. In that realm I've improved a lot, my run times have come down, my bike distances gone up and I recover a lot faster from long bike or run sessions. This I can attribute to the endurance boosting effects (beets, chia seeds, etc...) and anti-inflammatory nature of a vegan diet.

You know, just give it a try but don't get caught up in the almost religious zealotry the animal rights style vegans have. See if it's for you, if you feel better after a few weeks then you won't need any convincing to keep it up. Just do it right, whole foods, lots of veg, lots of legumes and skip that 'junk food vegan' soy product crap.
9/25/12 11:18 AM
cdueck
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Slacker,

I felt exactly the way you say when I switched to Paleo. Did you cut out grains when you switched your diet? I believe that not unlike a Paleo way of eating if you are a true Vegan or vegetarian you should be on the verge of ketosis almost all the time which would account for the endless energy people always talk about.

I have been told that Hemp is the best plant protein one can take, I am not sure if that is true or not though. 
9/25/12 1:56 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have done this years ago and never looked back....

www.truenutrition.com make a combo of 70% non-GMO pea protein and 30% rice = most bio-available complete plant protein...and cheap as a 2 dollar hoe (and that's cheap, sir) 
9/25/12 5:59 PM
shootfighterbull

Im gonna do it for a while and see how i feel. I bought a bottle of Jarrow Plant Proteins. Phone Post
9/25/12 9:26 PM
big_slacker
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have not cut out grains at all. I eat quinoa every day, sometime brown rice, sometimes wheat bread. Lots of grains.
9/25/12 10:56 PM
Badmonkey
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat roughly 60-70% fat,25- 30% protein, 0-10% carbs and have never felt better.

I ride my bike 15-20 miles a day in San Francisco (tons of hills) and have tons of energy. Have lost fat and kept my strength in the gym - steady mood and energy all day, skin looks great(had rosacea- now its gone), bowel movements are smooth as silk and i have zero digestion issues...

I eat 6-12 whole eggs a day, 1-3 pounds of meat- at least half or more of that as grass fed beef - greens veggies, kim chi, saurkraut, coconut oil, raw butter from grass fed cows/goats, almond butter, 90% dark chocolate ... Phone Post
9/26/12 1:13 AM
shootfighterbull

This thread is not about paleo, fool. Hijack another one. Phone Post
9/26/12 11:16 AM
ArthurKnoqOut
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

big_slacker - I have not cut out grains at all. I eat quinoa every day, sometime brown rice, sometimes wheat bread. Lots of grains.

quinoa is not a grain, nor is buckwheat. they are, from the horticulture prespective, seeds :) 

9/26/12 1:11 PM
Badmonkey

shootfighterbull -  This thread is not about paleo, fool. Hijack another one. Phone Post

I don't think anyone meant to hijack your thread; it kinda went the "i feel great not eating meat" route and thought i'd throw in my experience... but whatever your choice you should probably eat more healthy fats to help with your mood swings.
9/26/12 2:28 PM
shootfighterbull

Badmonkey -
shootfighterbull -  This thread is not about paleo, fool. Hijack another one. Phone Post

I don't think anyone meant to hijack your thread; it kinda went the "i feel great not eating meat" route and thought i'd throw in my experience... but whatever your choice you should probably eat more healthy fats to help with your mood swings.
Ive done paleo, my friend. There is a reason i no longer do it. Phone Post
9/27/12 2:17 AM
big_slacker

ArthurKnoqOut - 
big_slacker - I have not cut out grains at all. I eat quinoa every day, sometime brown rice, sometimes wheat bread. Lots of grains.

quinoa is not a grain, nor is buckwheat. they are, from the horticulture prespective, seeds :) 

I just googled and it appears you are correct. Learn something new every day.

About the paleo thing above, my typical diet prior to axing meat and dairy included no less than a pound of meat a day, healthy fats from nuts, fish, fish oil, olive oil and some grains. I have tried paleo for a couple months and energy levels were not good at all for me.

I'm 38 years old and have been involved in athletics of various types from a young age, and have experimented with many different types of eating. I encourage others to do that same, find something that work's for you whether it's paleo, vegan, ovo-lacto, pescetarian, etc... As long as you keep that processed crap out of your body you'll probably be doing better than with it. For me I think I've found something that works very well and I don't see any reason not to continue it. It's all benefits and no downsides.

It funny about clearing up skin issues, I've had sinus allergies most of my life and would literally break out in hives if I picked up my dog with bare arms. After switching to a mostly vegan diet I have no allergies and can wrestle the pooch around with no issues. It's hard to say whether it is the meat, whey protein or heavy caffeine or "energy" blend in the drinks that was causing this. But it certainly was one or some mix of the above causing it.
9/27/12 6:07 AM
Zero1

Being vegan for about 2 years now and all I can say it was the best decision I could have done. Using plant protein lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, etc.

Recovery is great and I can train a lot.

Take care
Björn
9/27/12 9:01 AM
ArthurKnoqOut

big_slacker - 
ArthurKnoqOut - 

I just googled and it appears you are correct. Learn something new every day.

About the paleo thing above, my typical diet prior to axing meat and dairy included no less than a pound of meat a day, healthy fats from nuts, fish, fish oil, olive oil and some grains. I have tried paleo for a couple months and energy levels were not good at all for me.

I'm 38 years old and have been involved in athletics of various types from a young age, and have experimented with many different types of eating. I encourage others to do that same, find something that work's for you whether it's paleo, vegan, ovo-lacto, pescetarian, etc... As long as you keep that processed crap out of your body you'll probably be doing better than with it. For me I think I've found something that works very well and I don't see any reason not to continue it. It's all benefits and no downsides.

It funny about clearing up skin issues, I've had sinus allergies most of my life and would literally break out in hives if I picked up my dog with bare arms. After switching to a mostly vegan diet I have no allergies and can wrestle the pooch around with no issues. It's hard to say whether it is the meat, whey protein or heavy caffeine or "energy" blend in the drinks that was causing this. But it certainly was one or some mix of the above causing it.

that's what I do in my nutritional consulting as well. Gotta try several different things but always start off with "only water and tea (maybe caffeine), no sugars of any kind or starch (no bread, no sweets) and tons of veggies".

as far as skin issues and allergies, it is certainly whey. Dairy in general promotes a ton of immune problems. That's why you see people with allergies, quit dairy and then smell the flowers and dogs and cats, etc

9/27/12 5:22 PM
Badmonkey

Thats another thing; since eating as i described above i have no sinus issues, allergies, snot/boogers... i use to think it had to do with all the dust at work and/or at home.. its kinda sad: i actually miss picking my nose. Phone Post
9/27/12 8:49 PM
orcus

No change in my allergies from quitting dairy. Honestly I didn't really notice any difference of any kind from going vegan, which is both good and bad. Good in the sense that I haven't suffered any downsides or lost a step in any way; bad in that I didn't have the magical transformation so many others report where they found themselves cured of allergies with glowing skin and limitless energy.

9/28/12 3:01 AM
Badmonkey

Make an effort to eat more healthy fats and less sugar... Phone Post
9/28/12 12:31 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

orcus, when you say "vegan" do you mean shit like faux-meats, tofurkey, vegan cake? Just building on Badmonkey's point. 

That's one thing I LOVED about Rich Roll's appearance on the JRE and him talking about how when he first went vegetarian he was eating pizza, fries, milk shakes, etc...

if you're vegan eating this:

it's not the same as eating this:

(taken from my own facebook, so selfish plug)

this isn't directed at you per se, orcus, just goes to elaborate what people say when they hear "oh my friend went vegan and he gained 50 pounds" lol

9/28/12 2:00 PM
big_slacker

Edited: 09/28/12 2:00 PM
^^ This. I had a housesitter when I went to europe earlier this month that I found through a friend. I asked her how she wanted the pantry stocked and she said she was a vegan. I was like "Great, I've got quinoa, brown rice, lentils, black beans, brown rice pasta, avocados, nuts, apples, organic whole wheat toritllas and a high powered blender for greens shakes already hooked up for you." She had this blank look and I was like WTF, I thought she was a vegan? I got back and she had soy meat, pre-packed indian curry stuff, pasta, white rice and so on. None of my stuff was touched, haha! No surprisingly she was a little chunky.

If you want to try it, do yourself a favor and pick up Brendan Brazier's "Thrive", Scott Jurek's "Eat and Run" and Rich Roll's "Finding Ultra" to get an idea of how you SHOULD be doing it correctly as an athlete.
9/28/12 2:03 PM
ArthurKnoqOut

and coming soon "Arthur's Functional Nutrition for vegans, vegetarians and meat lovers" :-P

p.s. next time you need someone to house sit, I'm your Huckleberry" 

9/29/12 12:47 AM
Ned Ryerson
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sunwarrior protein is my personal favorite Phone Post
9/30/12 12:16 PM
Charles T Rose
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did and feel much better.
Sunwarrior blend and Hemp Pro 70
10/1/12 10:27 PM
smichal
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone has their thing, however for quality of the protien itself, besides actually eating meat, nothing beats whey as far as what I've read. Certain plant protiens can be good, but can't substitute what you get in whey protien. That is unless you buy into the China study/Forks over knives stuff. But the studies involved in that material involve casien protien, unless I'm mistaken.

I use a product called Isagenix. It's basically sold through network marketing distribution, but that doesn't bother me. The product itself is genuinely top class.

My cousin is a doctor who is into longevity, and contrary to my views, believes you should restrict animal protien to no more than 20% of your food intake. He uses the vegasport product.

I buy into the paleo way of eating, but love my breads and pasta too much.
10/1/12 10:40 PM
shootfighterbull

Ive eaten vegan for a few days now and am currently supplementing with NutriBiotic Rice Protein. Ill comment on how i feel in a week or so. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.