UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Change string gauge? Do I need to adjust?

9/23/12 4:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
snakepitz
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am going to slap 10's on a guitar I usually have 9's on. Do I need to make truss adjustments (which I dont know how to do)

Also I may use a hybrid set which has tops of 9's and bottoms of 10's....so basically just increasing gauge of bottom three.

Are adjustments necessary there as well?

Thanks guys!
9/23/12 10:54 PM
jman
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I used to use 9's then heard about Yngwie using the split 46-9 set, for 15 years or so I used that. Then after that I started just playing a straight set of 10's.

So I know what you're going through, it's fun picking up a guitar with 9's now, my vibrato is crazy on it from being used to bending strings on 10's.

To answer your question, absolutely you should have a slight change in the truss rod. Also it my play in the height of your bridge depending on things as well as adjusting springs on your tremelo if you have one. I'm lazy and don't really do it too often, but it can be advised to readjust your intonation too...but that's optional IMO.

Bridge Height
Termelo Angle
Truss Rod
Neck Joint Angle (wood shim)
Nut Height

Each of these things can drastically change the overall feel and playability of your guitar. Just start expermimenting on your own and learn how to do it. You can't really screw things up, so why not teach yourself (YouTube?) and then you're set for life.

Good luck, let us know how it works out!
9/23/12 11:07 PM
snakepitz
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks jman...I posted this on OG too...a little more detail..as I am curious why they feel so different...following is pasted from other thread

I recently got a sharp Ibanez at a really great price...couldnt pass up and a surprisingly great guitar in looks and playability...my other (electric) guitars are a Jackson Soloist and a Fender Strat.

I have D'addarrio .009's on all my guitars and they feel great. All I have used on every guitar that came into my life for 20 years. When I had the Ibanez set up with the 9's they feel way too thin and rubbery. Huge difference than the others. A friend said it was because its a shorter scale neck and possibly cause a fixed bridge...others have floyd and stock fender tremolo.
9/23/12 11:50 PM
jman
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/24/12 12:04 AM
lol "friendly" advice from the OG.

Yeah that's another thing that will affect your "feel" is the scale of the neck. I notice this on acoustic guitar more than electric (I really only play one scale on electric).

Also the floating tremelo thing too. I suck at bending notes because usually I'm using a floating bridge. So you bend the note, but the springs react and cause the note to go flat, then you have to bend more, etc. Constant struggle to get the note to the right pitch for me. I'm using 5 springs on the back of my guitars as well to try to stiffen it up to make it as tight as possible, but still floating.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.