UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Is Jones Black Belt Level?

9/23/12 11:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Gomrad
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uniquetechnique -
Smith1234 - 
uniquetechnique - 
Gomrad - 
uniquetechnique -
Gomrad - 
Smith1234 - If gi and no gi are so separate, why do many legit BJJ BBs say Hughes is black belt level. Including Joe Rogan himself.
I am a wrestling coach and only train No Gi (on and off since mid 90's). I have tapped brown belts and black belts at different gyms training no Gi
I don't care to devote the needed time to Gi classes / testing. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the art and tradition of BJJ (and all grappling arts) but I don't think BJJ many purest feel that way about american folkstyle / catch-as-catch can wrestling. Phone Post

I got a question for you...be honest.hehe
Have you ever trained in a Gi before ever? what was your experience like? I have heard from many..but want to hear from someone else who has schooled many BJJ Black Belts and Brown..No-Gi. Thanks
I first started grappling (1994-95) in the FSU combatives room in the basement of fully gym. There was a BJJ brown (Dustin, i forgot his last name) belt under the Silvera brothers in Miami. Anyway I was a 19 year old rookie and took many lumps as I started to learn grappling. He owned / wore a Gi and the rest of us did not.

In the late 90's I threw on a Gi a few times at Marcio Simas school in Orlando, I never liked it (felt claustrophobic, lol) but had good enough base to stop sweeps and not get submitted.

the high school I Coached at in 2000-01 was down the street from Din Thomas gym, I rolled there with some tough cats while Din was training for his BJ Penn fight.

More recently I have trained at the Jungle in Orlando and have been able to submit everyone I've rolled with other then Tom Lawlor, that guy is one tough fucking nut (what do you expect he is a wrestler, lol...). Phone Post

Tom Lawlor is great. I went against him back in 2004 in the advanced and I believe I was the only guy that lost to him by points. He submitted the other 2 with a heel hook and toe hold.

So Tom Lawler in 2004 could beat you in BJJ, but current Jon Jones can't? Wow.....

No Gi Brotha. :)

Remember, were talking about Jones putting on a GI for the first time. Yea, I would win at least by points. Sweeps with a gi is totally different than without a gi.
Could you beat prime mike Tyson in a fight if you were both wearing a Gi? Phone Post
9/23/12 11:26 PM
Winston Wolf
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uniquetechnique - 
Smith1234 - 
uniquetechnique - 
Gomrad - 
uniquetechnique -
Gomrad - 
Smith1234 - If gi and no gi are so separate, why do many legit BJJ BBs say Hughes is black belt level. Including Joe Rogan himself.
I am a wrestling coach and only train No Gi (on and off since mid 90's). I have tapped brown belts and black belts at different gyms training no Gi
I don't care to devote the needed time to Gi classes / testing. I have a lot of respect and admiration for the art and tradition of BJJ (and all grappling arts) but I don't think BJJ many purest feel that way about american folkstyle / catch-as-catch can wrestling. Phone Post

Have you ever trained in a Gi before ever? what was your experience like? I have heard from many..but want to hear from someone else who has schooled many BJJ Black Belts and Brown..No-Gi. Thanks
I first started grappling (1994-95) in the FSU combatives room in the basement of fully gym. There was a BJJ brown (Dustin, i forgot his last name) belt under the Silvera brothers in Miami. Anyway I was a 19 year old rookie and took many lumps as I started to learn grappling. He owned / wore a Gi and the rest of us did not.

In the late 90's I threw on a Gi a few times at Marcio Simas school in Orlando, I never liked it (felt claustrophobic, lol) but had good enough base to stop sweeps and not get submitted.

the high school I Coached at in 2000-01 was down the street from Din Thomas gym, I rolled there with some tough cats while Din was training for his BJ Penn fight.

More recently I have trained at the Jungle in Orlando and have been able to submit everyone I've rolled with other then Tom Lawlor, that guy is one tough fucking nut (what do you expect he is a wrestler, lol...). Phone Post

Tom Lawlor is great. I went against him back in 2004 in the advanced and I believe I was the only guy that lost to him by points. He submitted the other 2 with a heel hook and toe hold.

So Tom Lawler in 2004 could beat you in BJJ, but current Jon Jones can't? Wow.....

Remember, were talking about Jones putting on a GI for the first time. Yea, I would win at least by points. Sweeps with a gi is totally different than without a gi.

no they arent.Im a good wrestler and very very rarely get sweeped GI or NO GI.I do get subbed but rarely sweeped and Jones is bigger than me and much better But u can sweep him and beat him by points ( in your dreams ) Good night lmao
9/23/12 11:27 PM
Gomrad
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gomrad -
uniquetechnique -
Smith1234 - 
uniquetechnique - 
Gomrad - 
uniquetechnique -
Gomrad - 

Could you beat prime mike Tyson in a fight if you were both wearing a Gi? Phone Post
Pulling guard being permitted of course Phone Post
9/23/12 11:29 PM
wiggum
285 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rundymc - 
Smith1234 - Didn't Rickson himself say a non-BJJ guy who was world class wrestler was his toughest guy to sub in no gi grappling?

That match is on youtube I believe. It's one of those "Gracie in action" tapes. The guy was a wrestler, Div I champ I believe, and pretty damn big. He sat in Rickson's guard and kept tight, hence the tough sub.

Not sure what you're talking about. He's talking about Mark Schultz, who held Rickson in a cradle for two 20 minute periods of time.
9/23/12 11:30 PM
Winston Wolf

wiggum - 
rundymc - 
Smith1234 - Didn't Rickson himself say a non-BJJ guy who was world class wrestler was his toughest guy to sub in no gi grappling?

That match is on youtube I believe. It's one of those "Gracie in action" tapes. The guy was a wrestler, Div I champ I believe, and pretty damn big. He sat in Rickson's guard and kept tight, hence the tough sub.

Not sure what you're talking about. He's talking about Mark Schultz, who held Rickson in a cradle for two 20 minute periods of time.

that wasnt Schultz in GIA it was someone else.
9/23/12 11:34 PM
uniquetechnique
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/23/12 11:37 PM
Winston Wolf - 
uniquetechnique - 
wiggum - 
Winston Wolf - 
wiggum - What I will say is that as a Division I wrestler with about 4 months of no gi experience, I had trouble when I first put the gi on. Starting on the feet, I was beating blue belts, but purples had my number.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

i wasnt D1 level but after a few months of GI training I liked it and used it.If u are a good wrestler and u put GI on and just wrestle u will have trouble.You have to use it as well Not just defend it.When i grappled people I wouldnt be like oh crap we are in GI Im scared ( of same guy I just grappled no GI )

No doubt. I started feeling really comfortable with the gi after about a month.

I can see JBJ getting comfortable as well and start taking off. I am sure his learning curve is off the charts. But, Put a Gi on him for the first time like I said, He'll be helpless if you ask me.

what belt are u ? do u think u can beat Jones in GI ? helpless ? I doubt u have even ever grappled ? ya Jon Jones the same guy who choked blackbelt Machada a sleep and subbed Vitor would be like a deer Like a Bambi in a GI ? R u like a purple belt who wants to believe somehow with a GI u could beat Jones ?

I have done BJJ since 1995 under Fabio Santos until 2001, I trained all the time with a Gi, he didn't believe in No-Gi. In 2001 I moved to Las Vegas, I was a purple belt with 3 stripes then, Not too many purples back then. I went to John Lewis school I think it was only, Sean Spangler, Scott Beiri Henry and myself,that were only Purples, Big COuntry got his purple in 2002 I believe. Marc Laimon just got awarded his Black at the time. Everyone defected to Laimons practically and in 2007 I got my Brown from Matheus Dias. I then trained about almost 2 more years more and found out that I had 2 really bad back tears that required surgery. I retired and was later awarded a BJJ Black Belt from my very good friend who was a world champion many times. Because of Brazilian Politics and controversy..I did not accept it. Iv'e been fortunate before leaving the sport to have rolled with many BJJ Champions, UFC fighters, MMA fighters like, Dean Lister, Jeff Higgs, Royler Gracie, Rorion Gracie, Rockson Gracie, Rickson Gracie, BJ Penn, Chris Brennan, Rodrigos Medeiros, Margarida Pontes, Roy Harris, Henry Atkins, Tom Lawlor, John Lewis, JD Penn, Fabio Santos, Kimo, Ricco Rodriguez, Tito Ortiz, Chuck LIddel, Gilber Yvel, Marvin Eastman, Randy COuture, Marc Laimon, Roy Nelson, Scott Beiri, Sim Go, Jeff Glover, Chris Holdsworth, Frank Mir, Jason Santos, Rick Davis, Sean Spangler, Ricardo Pires, Eric Pele, Uly Gomez, Jake Rosholt, Johny Hendricks, Shane Roller, Joe Daddy Stevenson, Kendall Grove, Troy Rudeboy, Andy Wang...I know theres more too. :)
9/23/12 11:36 PM
uniquetechnique
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gomrad - 
Gomrad -
uniquetechnique -
Smith1234 - 
uniquetechnique - 
Gomrad - 
uniquetechnique -
Gomrad - 

Pulling guard being permitted of course Phone Post

lol, this.
But even though I have done Muay thai for awhile..I don't stand a chance with any UFC fighter in the cage. I'd get my ass handed to.
9/23/12 11:38 PM
Winston Wolf

nice list i can name drop too but not nearly as impressive .I could roll with the entire BJJ all star team dont mean I could beat Jones.But im sure its great to think you could have beatin him.Unless u have a huge weight advantage I would clearly have to see it to believe it
9/23/12 11:38 PM
Smith1234
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ unique, are you saying he should change his post from "purple" to "brown" :-)
9/23/12 11:42 PM
Gomrad

Jon Jones would out grapple / kick
Everyone's ass in this thread at the same time.. Probably tap everyone in less then 1 minute. Phone Post
9/23/12 11:44 PM
uniquetechnique

Winston Wolf - nice list i can name drop too but not nearly as impressive .I could roll with the entire BJJ all star team dont mean I could beat Jones.But im sure its great to think you could have beatin him.Unless u have a huge weight advantage I would clearly have to see it to believe it

lol, I'm a solid 215 at my prime. I actually rolled with Robbie Lawler during the time that he fought Pete Spratt. I got him in a wrist lock that he would not tap to, His wrist popped because he had an ego problem and his coach thinks that is one of the reasons why he lost. Laimon from then on would not let me use my signature move in class. was fun.
9/23/12 11:45 PM
uniquetechnique

Gomrad -  Jon Jones would out grapple / kick
Everyone's ass in this thread at the same time.. Probably tap everyone in less then 1 minute. Phone Post

wouldn't doubt it...lol...at the same time. But in a Gi, with Gi rules..originally what we were talking about.
9/23/12 11:47 PM
Winston Wolf

uniquetechnique - 
Winston Wolf - nice list i can name drop too but not nearly as impressive .I could roll with the entire BJJ all star team dont mean I could beat Jones.But im sure its great to think you could have beatin him.Unless u have a huge weight advantage I would clearly have to see it to believe it

lol, I'm a solid 215 at my prime. I actually rolled with Robbie Lawler during the time that he fought Pete Spratt. I got him in a wrist lock that he would not tap to, His wrist popped because he had an ego problem and his coach thinks that is one of the reasons why he lost. Laimon from then on would not let me use my signature move in class. was fun.

where i trained firtst rule was to never name drop about who u tapped or what u got on anyone But Im sure if thats true u probly were pretty good.I still would bet the house on Jones ( sorry )Id also bet on him against 2004 Pat Lawler and Robbie as well
9/23/12 11:50 PM
uniquetechnique

Winston Wolf - 
uniquetechnique - 

where i trained firtst rule was to never name drop about who u tapped or what u got on anyone But Im sure if thats true u probly were pretty good.I still would bet the house on Jones ( sorry )Id also bet on him against 2004 Pat Lawler and Robbie as well

lol, very true...I never name drop. I'm retired though....hehe. Yea don't get me wrong..I miss the sport and have went through about a year and a half of depression.
9/23/12 11:52 PM
uniquetechnique

Edited: 09/23/12 11:53 PM
Chris Brennan is on, I asked if he could give his opinion on the Gi aspect of JBJ. We helped train Chris back in like 1996 I think, when he fought Pat Miletich. Memories man, I tell you. Seems like yesterday.
9/23/12 11:54 PM
Smith1234
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

uniquetechnique - 

Wait, are you comparing Robbie to Jon on the ground?
9/23/12 11:55 PM
Dazednconfused
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just because you catch guys in submissions in a fight does not make you blackbelt level. The mere suggestion of this just shows how clueless some fans really are. Put jones on his back and see how he does. Jones has even said he doesn't train much bjj. He's just good at the basics Phone Post
9/23/12 11:55 PM
uniquetechnique

Smith1234 - 
uniquetechnique - 

Wait, are you comparing Robbie to Jon on the ground?

Hell No!
Im just bragging. haha
9/23/12 11:58 PM
Dazednconfused
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's alot different when elbows and punches come into play. Phone Post
9/23/12 11:58 PM
rundymc

Smith1234 - Chael did the right defense against the Silva triangle -- so that is better than a Rampage - Arona slam.

The BJJ guys prolly criticise Rampage and congratualte Chael....

He attempted the right defense. He left his arm unprotected and couldn't get his leg over Anderson's body.
9/24/12 12:04 AM
WestsideStrangler
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His shit is set up from beating guys up first.  He hasn't subbed anyone without beating them up or tiring them out first.  I promise you if ME and him rolled I would sub the shit out of him and I also promise you if I fought him if he wanted to sub me he could win by submission.  The guys a freaky athlete and he uses it well in the cage but he is not near black belt level in gi or nogi Jiu-Jitsu.
9/24/12 12:06 AM
rundymc

sunderground - In the fourth round of a UFC war, getting a smashed up Vitor in an Americana does not mean you are "a BJJ black belt".

That submission takes a fraction of the skill shown by Vinny Magalhaes with his armbar.

The "throw him a black belt after he wins in the octagon" was a bad precedent that started with Rashad. And Hughes isnt one either no matter how many times he beats up Royce.

Hughes did not beat up Royce. Hughes out grappled him. He also hung with Serra on the ground. He is, without a doubt, a black belt at submission grappling/nogi BJJ.
9/24/12 12:10 AM
rundymc

wiggum - 
rundymc - 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fngsgye5cg4

Fuck me, I got my wires crossed.
9/24/12 12:10 AM
uniquetechnique

Edited: 09/24/12 12:11 AM
WestsideStrangler - His shit is set up from beating guys up first.  He hasn't subbed anyone without beating them up or tiring them out first.  I promise you if ME and him rolled I would sub the shit out of him and I also promise you if I fought him if he wanted to sub me he could win by submission.  The guys a freaky athlete and he uses it well in the cage but he is not near black belt level in gi or nogi Jiu-Jitsu.

Hope you guys are happy, Heres a real pro tellin it. Chris has trained Gi since 1993. :)

or is it 1992? haha
9/24/12 12:31 AM
hermanitor

Winston Wolf - 
hermanitor - Jones is not close to a black belt in jiu jitsu. His classic jiu jitsu is not particularly good.

He IS however a VERY good/excellent overall grappler. His wrestling, Positioning, and Ground and Pound are more than a match for ANYONE on the ground.

I do think however, that he can fall into traps set by BJJ players, because he doesn't formally play that game.

His armbar escape in this fight was indeed technically wrong, and he appears how have hyperextended his arm at the elbow. Technically you are supposed to stack the opponent, not pull out, which only completes the armbar. Tim Sylvia made this *exact* same mistake against Frnak Mur. No one was claiming big Tim was black belt caliber.

I think Jones IS at risk for losing via. armbar to a technical formal jiu jitsu player. This fight shows a real issue. A better BJJ player than Vitor might finish that submission. Jones does leave his arms out a bit too much.

So yeah. Jones is a black belt in grappling, but not a black belt in BJJ.

whats classic BJJ LMFAO

You know, wearin a Gi? Training BJJ at a BJJ academy, and not an MMA gym? Learning the basics and practicing in that one art for YEARS.

Tell me, how many formal BJJ blackbelts are going to pull out of an armbar like that? Extend their arms in guard like Jones does, Etc. These are classic no-nos in BJJ.

Is your issue with my use of the word 'classic'? I don't follow.

Still though, as I said before, Jones is a black belt in grappling, in pure/formal/classic/gi/whatever BJJ....he is learning FAST, but he makes technical mistakes that a black belt would not.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.