UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Deadlifting for BJJ

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/23/12 9:52 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
renatolaranjabjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had on and off nagging back pain since i started doing gi jiu jitsu, mainly frmo being stuck in the closed guard and trying to keep posture while the other guy is trying to yank me down. WHen i rest it goes away and ive taken anti inflammatories done physio (mainly gave me stretches and yoga upright movement) but since ive healed other major injuries with weighted movements like freeweights for wrist, or theraband for shoulders, i was wondering if anyone has had success with lightweight deadlifts for back pain? i finally have my form right for it so i will start experimenting soon and of course im worried i could fuk it up worse.

thanks
9/24/12 1:38 AM
BALLSDEEP
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice that shit.
9/24/12 5:49 PM
renatolaranjabjj

thanks for that answer. i never thought of icing my back before.
9/24/12 10:50 PM
nowaydo
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/24/12 10:50 PM
You have to find your weakness and/or imbalance and either stretch it or strengthen it.

No one can give you a solution with an movement screening test.

I work with lots of BJJ guys. They usually have back pain due to 1) tight psoas 2) glutes that are not firing 3) tight hamstrings 3) weak core 4) Kyphosis

You have to find out which one(s) is/are causing your problem.

I suggest starting with stretching your psoas and strengthening your glutes.
9/24/12 10:52 PM
SidRon
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should be deadlifting in a gi so that you get the most possible skill transfer of the movement to your sport.
9/24/12 11:09 PM
BALLSDEEP
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea, I see a shitload of dudes wearing a gi when at the gym. Thought about it, but mine is blue...:/
9/24/12 11:17 PM
BALLSDEEP

But seriously tho, deadlifting, no matter what it's for is going to help. Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Guys on here like leigh, Jeremy Hamilton & others can go into further into detail on specifics...maybe hit them up.
9/24/12 11:58 PM
Shortkick
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nowaydo - You have to find your weakness and/or imbalance and either stretch it or strengthen it.

No one can give you a solution with an movement screening test.

I work with lots of BJJ guys. They usually have back pain due to 1) tight psoas 2) glutes that are not firing 3) tight hamstrings 3) weak core 4) Kyphosis

You have to find out which one(s) is/are causing your problem.

I suggest starting with stretching your psoas and strengthening your glutes.
... Very nice post Phone Post
9/25/12 2:06 PM
torquemada
483 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

SidRon - You should be deadlifting in a gi so that you get the most possible skill transfer of the movement to your sport.
I laughed. Phone Post
9/27/12 10:45 PM
nowaydo
149 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I should of said..."
No one can give you a solution withOUT an movement screening test."
10/5/12 7:47 PM
hiptosser

When BJJ retards fuck around with deadlifts "I hurt my back/hernia from deadlifting" threads pop up.
I know I am a BJJ retard who has been injured dlfting.
10/11/12 7:05 PM
BJJER

renatolaranjabjj - I've had on and off nagging back pain since i started doing gi jiu jitsu, mainly frmo being stuck in the closed guard and trying to keep posture while the other guy is trying to yank me down. WHen i rest it goes away and ive taken anti inflammatories done physio (mainly gave me stretches and yoga upright movement) but since ive healed other major injuries with weighted movements like freeweights for wrist, or theraband for shoulders, i was wondering if anyone has had success with lightweight deadlifts for back pain? i finally have my form right for it so i will start experimenting soon and of course im worried i could fuk it up worse.

thanks

A lot of people initiate movement through the low back and hyperextend their back without thinking about it. Make sure you are concious of your pelvis and keep it neutral through out the roll.

And yes, stretch the psoas.

If you haven't go to www.mobilitywod.com and search for "psoas" "lowback" "neutral hip"
10/12/12 5:01 AM
Chocolate Shatner
312 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and stop holding men between your legs so damned much.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.