UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Training Question

4/17/02 9:34 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chuckk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 17-Apr-02

Tony, Over the last several months I have been working on integrating several ingredients from the BYOB package into my training. SPEAR fundamentals, CQ form, scenario training, attack specific, et cetera. I find them challenging (which is good) and fun to play with. My question is: I've noticed that as I spend more time on these skill sets that my previously owned skills begin to rust, if you'll pardon the metaphor. I also understand periodization. What I work on today is not what I'll be working on down the road. I also understand venue, as what a civilian (like me) trains should be different than a LEO, or military type, because our theater of conflict is inherently different (although I train with both groups in different capacities). So what I was wondering was how much time do you, or anyone out there who'd like to contribute, set aside for working on various skill sets? What I mean is--as an example: 50% of a workout is on conditioning, 20% is on gross-motor movement, 20% on finesse movement, 10% on simulations--or something like that. I am interested in what you all have to say. I've been at this for awhile and want to keep up my momentum. I like creating my own perimeters out of the available information. I have competed (at various events) in the past, and I know there is some cross-over possibilities between the two, but I find my focus has shifted (once again) to self-protection, as well as the protection of my loved ones. Thanks in advance. Peace, Chuck
4/18/02 12:17 PM
Tony Blauer

Edited: 18-Apr-02
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
Great question Chuck, but I'm afraid my answer will bore you.... In reality, you already own all the answers...in other words, only you can determine what you need to work on and for how long.... That includes conditioning, skill developement and so on. Remember in the BE YOUR OWN BODYGUARD package you received the PDR manual, there is a section in it that discusses CAPACITY & POTENTIAL models, review that. The inner barometer should always lead our workouts...remember, habituation and ego will try to maintain status quo, for this reason, working on new material takes more of a commitment. As to your 'rusting' analogy, there's a reason things rust, sometimes it's because they are not used and sometimes its because they are not useful....determine that, if your leaning more towards personal protection, then follow that intuition...a lot of the technical tools taught DO NOT have a place in street defense. If you do find yourself 'missing' the other trainings, then simply set up a designated workout period wehre you practice the esoteric skills you love. Tony
4/18/02 6:59 PM
Chuckk

Thanks Tony, In reality I think I have a pretty good idea of how to make the most time of my training. I was more trying to see how some of the others on the forum, yourself included, spent the majority of their time training. Like I said, I know that things should be venue specific. Still, you never know what you might learn with an honest share. I loved the line "esoteric skills." Put a big smile on my face. Thanks. The skill set(s) I was referring to was mostly boxing. I just don't seem to have the time do practice more than a few rounds a week, right now. Thanks for the reply. Peace, Chuck
4/18/02 8:09 PM
Tony Blauer

....well, boxing isnt such an esoteric skil... but pretty much the same answer, reframe the boxing training from other stuff to something more tangible: in other words, connect it to the street applcation, instead of boxing for sport, use the boxing segment to work on proximtiy sense, blinking control, sucker punch evasion and so on. Some new 'marketing' and you'll find yourself including it more & more. Tony
4/18/02 11:34 PM
truart

Chukk, It is also very important for you to sit down and analyze what your most likely "arena of combat" is going to be before you decide on how to periodize your training. If you really ponder and break down when and where will you most likely be called upon to use your skills, the question of how what and when and how much, gets answered along the way. Tony Torres Va Beach, Va
4/19/02 2:36 AM
Chuckk

Edited: 19-Apr-02
To both Tonys, Thanks for the replies. I agree with you on both counts, the boxing and the "arena of combat." Like I said, I think I have a good handle on how to train for whatever venue I will happen to get into (when I can see into the future that is :)). For example, for the last few weeks I have been mainly concerned with an upcoming engagement coming up at the end of this month. Some LEO friends (training partners) asked me to help them work security at an event. So my physical workout looks something like this: 50% conditioning (because I hate being out of shape), 30% clinch, tie-ups, controls (with and without partners), et cetera. 20% SPEAR, cqf, boxing, et cetera. We practice likely scenarios once a week at one of our team practices, using makeshift gear (we are trying to get up a kitty for some High Gear), diffusion tactics, protecting secondary personnel, debriefing, et cetera. On occasion, during this present venue specific training, I work on strategies and tactics that are more relative to my "everyday" life, protecting myself and loved ones. I don't want to leave anything to chance. When this event is past I will return to my more relevant training. I started this thread to for three reasons. One because, ever since the switch to MMA.tv it has been incredibly dull on most of the forums. Forums without dialog are like a television set without electricity. Two to create a dialog, to see what others were doing. I had a coach once tell me that the two worst things a fighter can do is, one, thinks he knows it all, and two think he doesn't. I think that applies here. And three from some dialog, who knows what gems I might find. I have trained with some "names" in the past, like Bill Wallace, Joe Lewis, Benny Urquidez, and others, and I learned a lot from them, Wallace in particular. And while I learned a great deal from them, I don't fight much like any of them. So, if I might be so bold, what are you all working on? Tony B.-- as often as you travel, what does your personal training consist of? And Tony T, how about yourself? What areas are you stressing right now? Thanks again. Peace, Chuck PS. I don't ask this so that I can train like Tony (or Tony). This is merely for fun. If you'd rather not participate for some reason, that's cool.
4/19/02 8:07 AM
Tony Blauer

Forums without dialog are like a television set without electricity. Sweet. T
4/19/02 8:13 AM
Tony Blauer

My training is more of a maintanance routine than a skill development prgram or goal oriented, this is due to the hectic travel schedule. I teach almost constantly, that maintances my coirdination and timing with specific tactics, I try to run as much as possible and work a lot of anaerobic drills into my running to maintain that quick burst endurance. I spend a lot of time with cops & soldiers so my head game stays pretty focused and of course teaching SPEAR, CQC, ground & weapon protection maintains a realistic edge on realistic tactics.. Tony
4/19/02 11:20 AM
Chuckk

Tony, Very cool. Thanks. As always, I enjoy the discourse. Anyone else? Peace, Chuck
4/19/02 3:08 PM
Lofland
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 19-Apr-02 06:09 PM
"If you do find yourself 'missing' the other trainings, then simply set up a designated workout period where you practice the esoteric skills you love." this made me smile too. I didn't realize that other people on here missed their unrealistic yet oh-so-fun traditional arts. In the Aikido dojo, whenever I finally got down the basics of a particular throw, I felt invincible, lol. If I do start training in Aikido again, I'll have to avoid saying "But this guy Tony Blauer says..." all the time. Of course, I know Tony has respect for all the martial arts, it's possible to integrate Blauer concepts with some traditional martial arts, and that the SPEAR, etc. will allow you to go from the "oh shit" moment to get a point where you can use your style.
4/20/02 2:43 PM
truart

Edited: 20-Apr-02
Chukk, I spend all my "class" training time focusing on the Law enforcement officer aspects of the SPEAR System icluding the weapon control and groundfighting just like Coach Blauer since that was my profession for the past 12 years and my life depended on my training as well as how well trained the guys in my team are. Other than combat calisthenics, I try not to include to much conditioning during skill development time other than the conditioning you get from intense BMF's and alive SPEAR System drills. I do my conditioning intesive workouts separately. They include weight training for injury prevention, swimming and other cardio for health, and the ever present 20/10's to get my fighting engine running. Tony Torres Va Beach,VA TCMS PDR Coach torres@tonyblauer.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.