UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Jersey Joe Walcott, Style and Grace

9/24/12 4:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
rorymcd
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm fascinated by the way he moved in the ring. He had some really slick punches combined with power. Wow.
9/24/12 4:04 PM
rorymcd
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/24/12 4:11 PM
rorymcd

Check out the inside slip to left upper cut/hook that he used to KO Ezzard Charles (I think) at 0:34 of the HL, and drops Rocky Marciano with the same slip punch at 1:40.
9/25/12 1:58 AM
pharochuck
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts LLC, Moderator
Very good fighter, he and Charles both had the misfortune of being after the brown bomber and before Marciano. Overshadowed Phone Post
9/25/12 12:24 PM
The Ghost Of Swayze
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AWESOME. Thanks for posting.
9/25/12 7:39 PM
rorymcd

I was surprised that Ezzard Charles made it in to the top 80 fighters in the last 80 years (according to The Ring), but Jersey Joe didn't. One of my favorite guys to watch fight.
Pharochuck, you're right, it's a testament to how many amazing fighters there were in that time period that Walcott is largely overshadowed.
9/26/12 8:05 PM
Chappie
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rorymcd - I was surprised that Ezzard Charles made it in to the top 80 fighters in the last 80 years (according to The Ring), but Jersey Joe didn't. One of my favorite guys to watch fight.
Pharochuck, you're right, it's a testament to how many amazing fighters there were in that time period that Walcott is largely overshadowed.

I am a Jersey Joe Walcott fan, but of the two, Charles was far and away the better fighter. Before moving up to heavyweight and facing Walcott four times, Charles had already beat guys such as Archie Moore, Jimmy Bivins, Charley Burley, Joey Maxim, Lloyd Marshall, Gus Lesnevich, and Elmer Ray. By all accounts, Charles lost his killer instinct and passion for boxing after accidently killing Sam Baroudi in the ring in 1948.
9/27/12 12:17 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/27/12 12:21 AM
Jersey Joe had a great role in Humprhey Bogart's last movie, "The Harder They Fall". Max Baer is in in too, and Tami Maurello (sp?) Great cast in general--Rod Steiger, many more.

Jersey J. would beat Sylvester Stallone's ass in a real throw down.He was a better actor too.

Jersey J was ahead of his time in the footwork department, for heavyweights. That brash young man from Louisville by the name of Cassius Clay, undoubtedly learned something from Jersey J. (Or could have, if he didn't).

Clay said he was a heavyweight who moved like a middleweight, which he was, but he wasn't the first.

No dis intended to the greatest by calling him Clay (his slave name). Unlike Ernie Terrell, I don't do it to dis him, but because that is what he called himself before he decided to be Ali. Just as Ringo was Richard before he started being Ringo (Starr, of course).

In other words, I refer to him as Clay during the time that he called himself Clay, and Ali, when he called himself Ali. When describing his overall career, I would, of course, respect his wish to be called Ali.
9/27/12 11:49 PM
AristidesBrito
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I stumbled on this video by accident a month ago, ever since guys at my gym are.hooked and we watch it weekly... The shifty footwork he displayed puts most modern fighters to shame. The guy could win dancing with the stars in mid fight Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.