UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Rebney: White's statement 'very, very hypocritical

9/24/12 10:18 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney listened to White's words on Monday's episode of The MMA Hour, and did not mince words in his response.

"It's a very, very hypocritical statement," Rebney mused.

"We had to go through the exact same process with Zuffa when we signed ‘King Mo.' Zuffa released ‘King Mo' Lawal on March 27, 2012. They went public with their release, they put it up on their own website, on UFC.com, Dana confirmed the release of 'King Mo' to the media on the exact same day, and then in April, when Bellator looked to sign 'King Mo,' we had to submit our full contract to Zuffa. We sent it certified mail to their attorneys. Then we had to wait 14 full business days, which is typically 20-to-21 days in total, for them to decide if they were going to match or not going to match -- which thankfully they didn't, and we ended up with one of the most exciting and entertaining light heavyweights in the world -- but, this is, to the letter, the exact same process.

"So it's one thing to call somebody out on doing something," continued Rebney. "But when you follow the exact same process, the veracity of the comments have to be taken in context with what the real world dictates."

read entire article...

9/24/12 10:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JeffersonDArcyChoke
296 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bjorn and Kirik together could put on Pablo Cruise and satisfy your woman in ways not legal in at least 4 developed countries. Phone Post
9/24/12 10:32 PM
stonepony
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not about contract matching. Which DW said is normal and legitimate. Bellator is f'ing themselves in the ass with this. Have they not learned anything by watching other organizations get steamrolled? They had every opportunity to establish a business relationship and become a solid #2 organization. Instead, they're going to war with zuffa and thinking they're going to eclipse the UFC? Not smart.
9/24/12 10:40 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So, King Mo actually fought for zuffa. They had matching rights (probably written in to the contract by Stikeforce/Showtime before zuffa came along), and let him go to Bellator without issue.

Bellator signs a fighter for a fight/tournement, tells him never mind, then tells him hes cut, but they still keep matching rights. Then he wins a big fight, outside of Bellator, and Bellator will file a lawsuit against him to prevent him from fighting elsewhere.

Not seeing how this doesn't make zuffa look better and Bellator look worse. Phone Post
9/24/12 10:41 PM
Zomby

Am I the only one confused by his statements?

Zuffa didn't match... and Bellator did...

so Rebney is smoking crack.

9/24/12 10:43 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
558 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wallmart hired someone, then wouldn't give him a single hour and then fires him. Target then wants to hire him, so Wallmart sues him.

That should not be legal. And the fighters aren't smart for signing those contracts either, but they think they're getting the big opportunity. Phone Post
9/24/12 10:45 PM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/24/12 10:45 PM
  I agree with Dana on this. 
9/24/12 10:46 PM
slamming

So Bjorn actually confirmed what Dana said rather than refute it?

Nice one Bjorn.
9/24/12 10:58 PM
Fabefromfort

What Rebney should hit back with, is this. The UFC knowingly sold its fans a broken product. Belfort had a broken hand, and I guarantee you everyone at Zuffa knew. They were on white hot alert when the first reports came out about a month ago about Belfort rebreaking his hand. I can damned well guarantee you they Jetted directly to Vitor Belfort the minute Dana heard the news about Belfort's hand. The show must go on of course, and it did, with everyone in the know including in the broadcast booth, and everyone at Zuffa, knowing full well Belfort could not fight. Does Dana owe everyone their money back ? Yes, fucking rights. Should Toronto sue his ass ? That's up to them, but, let me tell you this,I ain't got one iota of faith left in the UFC. Why do you think Belfort didn't throw punches or bullrush ?. Why do you think he pulled guard so much ?. Far too much evidence for them to get away with this. Litigation on the way.
9/24/12 11:14 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zuffa did the same kind of thing with Herring...he was in limbo because the Zuffa could match his contract and couldn't even do TV commentating work outside the UFC.
9/25/12 2:19 AM
cward81386
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He had to of known once he signed with spike that the ufc was going to crush bellator either way.
9/25/12 2:20 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

HolyAvengerP5 -
Hungry4Stink - Zuffa did the same kind of thing with Herring...he was in limbo because the Zuffa could match his contract and couldn't even do TV commentating work outside the UFC.

so someone wanted heath to fight somewhere else. then ufc matched their offer. and then didn't give heath a fight?

They were giving him fights, Heath turned them down iirc. Based on what RVD has said. Phone Post
9/25/12 6:12 AM
NastyNate420
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -  So, King Mo actually fought for zuffa. They had matching rights (probably written in to the contract by Stikeforce/Showtime before zuffa came along), and let him go to Bellator without issue.

Bellator signs a fighter for a fight/tournement, tells him never mind, then tells him hes cut, but they still keep matching rights. Then he wins a big fight, outside of Bellator, and Bellator will file a lawsuit against him to prevent him from fighting elsewhere.

Not seeing how this doesn't make zuffa look better and Bellator look worse. Phone Post

this
9/25/12 8:51 AM
superbradman
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rebney has angered the gods. Zuffa will own Bellator by the end of 2013. Phone Post
9/25/12 10:25 AM
Whambo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't Hunt end up in limbo as well? I can't remember the exact situation, but it seemed like he got fucked over. I could be wrong tho.
9/25/12 10:30 AM
Whambo
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Dana wants to act like they are on the fighters side? Ok, think about this. Dana says over and over SF will operate "business as usual" and they can do their own thing, compete with UFC for fighters etc.

So SF goes out with the intention of fighter a former UFC HW Champ Tim Sylvia, and Dana nixes it because he holds grudges like a motherfucker. Imagine if Bettman went to a NHL team and said "You can't sign that guy". It's fucked.

Add into it fighters like Melendez will now never get the chance to compete for the UFC title cause they're locked into their BS SF titles for life pretty much unless they decide to go to Bellator.
9/25/12 11:34 AM
Periodik

HolyAvengerP5 - 
Whambo - Didn't Hunt end up in limbo as well? I can't remember the exact situation, but it seemed like he got fucked over. I could be wrong tho.

he got beat by mcC and then beat congo. that it 2 ufc fights for someone who looked like they were not going to be serious again. and you know they are gonna do their best to put him on the next aussie card. not looking too bad for hunt.

Hunt's on a 3 fight win streak in the UFC since losing to McCorky. He's injured right now though.
9/25/12 11:42 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Whambo - So Dana wants to act like they are on the fighters side? Ok, think about this. Dana says over and over SF will operate "business as usual" and they can do their own thing, compete with UFC for fighters etc.

So SF goes out with the intention of fighter a former UFC HW Champ Tim Sylvia, and Dana nixes it because he holds grudges like a motherfucker. Imagine if Bettman went to a NHL team and said "You can't sign that guy". It's fucked.

Add into it fighters like Melendez will now never get the chance to compete for the UFC title cause they're locked into their BS SF titles for life pretty much unless they decide to go to Bellator.
He tried to do Mir instead. Mir vs Cormier isn't a better fight than Sylvia vs Cormier? Sylvia then got owned by Arlovksi.

And it sucks, but Gil signed an extension with strikeforce and Showtime won't let him go. They need him badly and they know it. Phone Post
9/25/12 11:45 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive

Whambo - Didn't Hunt end up in limbo as well? I can't remember the exact situation, but it seemed like he got fucked over. I could be wrong tho.
I think they owned a contract on him that was left over from pride and offered to cut him, but Hunt said he wanted to fight out the contract. Phone Post
9/25/12 11:56 AM
AK-BJJ

Bjorn is making mistakes with these decisions... He was always thought of as a classy alternative to Dana but somehow has managed to look even WORSE than Dana now with all these contract games he's playing
9/26/12 9:12 AM
The Last Emperor

HolyAvengerP5 - 
Periodik - 
HolyAvengerP5 - 
Whambo - Didn't Hunt end up in limbo as well? I can't remember the exact situation, but it seemed like he got fucked over. I could be wrong tho.

he got beat by mcC and then beat congo. that it 2 ufc fights for someone who looked like they were not going to be serious again. and you know they are gonna do their best to put him on the next aussie card. not looking too bad for hunt.

Hunt's on a 3 fight win streak in the UFC since losing to McCorky. He's injured right now though.

wow, i totally missed those 2 other wins. hopefully he gets back in it soon.

New to MMA?
9/26/12 9:32 AM
Allucard

Fabefromfort - What Rebney should hit back with, is this. The UFC knowingly sold its fans a broken product. Belfort had a broken hand, and I guarantee you everyone at Zuffa knew. They were on white hot alert when the first reports came out about a month ago about Belfort rebreaking his hand. I can damned well guarantee you they Jetted directly to Vitor Belfort the minute Dana heard the news about Belfort's hand. The show must go on of course, and it did, with everyone in the know including in the broadcast booth, and everyone at Zuffa, knowing full well Belfort could not fight. Does Dana owe everyone their money back ? Yes, fucking rights. Should Toronto sue his ass ? That's up to them, but, let me tell you this,I ain't got one iota of faith left in the UFC. Why do you think Belfort didn't throw punches or bullrush ?. Why do you think he pulled guard so much ?. Far too much evidence for them to get away with this. Litigation on the way.

What a load of crap... Jesus. I'm willing to bet that this jerk would pull injured and climb over the fence if hit by Jon's strikes. One elbow would do it. Hell, he'd be KTFO. Damn keyboard warriors. Want to fix MMA? MMA is fine, everything is going according to plan.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.