UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Got told I have high blood pressure Help me/TME

9/25/12 7:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tbz
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

as the title says, went to the doctor today and got a blood pressure check, he said it should be around 90? but it was 144? on his little machine, i asked him what i can do, and apart from lose weight and change my diet he didnt give me much more info. i do need to drop at least 20 - 30 kgs as well. 

anyone have any tips or diet suggestions to help me out please? 

im also thinking of buying a good juicer and starting to juice fruit and veg, is this a good idea/ would it put me on the right track. my diet atm is pretty shit
1/29/13 7:32 PM
factchecker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doc didn't give you much info because he thought it was not a big deal and could be fixed easily.

Cut salt intake, lose some weight, and eat more fruit(contains potassium)and veggies. Buying a juicer is a good idea but for me it's too much hassle. I would rather eat bananas.

2/4/13 1:55 PM
cruedi
88 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Increase your magnesium intake and l-arginine. Your sodium levels are controlled by an enzyme system in your body, (Na+ +K+)trans fats will really effect this, so do your best to eliminate trans fat, that will be more helpful than anything.

Do you smoke (I don't it since most people would mention it) if so your body is filled with cadmium, taking in extra vit C and alpha lipic acid will help flush that out.

Get more exercise, walk places, you don't say what you do for a living, but instead of getting a snack, go for a walk around your building if you can, outside is best.

3/1/13 12:29 PM
Z NEDCMK1
790 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/01/13 12:29 PM

Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Furhman

Have you had success resolving your issue?

3/21/13 2:21 PM
robrt_robbins

I've had high blood pressure most of my life and found the single most effective thing for me is making sure I do cardio every day. If I miss one day it will be creeping up the next day. I'm 48 now and my high bp was first caught at a high school footbal physical. i've taken most of the meds over the course of my life but now don't take anything. AS long as I maintain a reasonable bodyweight and cardio, I stay well in range of where I need to be.
3/31/13 9:23 PM
DMSO

At a systolic BP of 144, you are just over the 140 mark to diagnose hypertension (HTN). Having said that, you cannot diagnose HTN on one office visit. It requires at least 2 separate visits with multiple readings per visit. You also need to be sitting down, relaxed and not have had any caffeine or cigarettes for 30 mins prior to the reading.

Not sure where he is getting the 90 value from. Unless your bottom number was above 90 (diastolicBP)

Basically the advice he/she should be giving you is this.
[All this is predicated on that fact that you are not having any signs of end organ damage from high blood pressure...eg. fatigue, headaches, blurry vision, dizziness, difficulty concentrating]

1. Schedule another appt in 2-3 months
2. Encourage you to quit smoking (if you do) and lose weight. Every 5-10 kg's can cause a drop in systolic BP by a 3-5mmHg
3. Start the D.A.S.H diet (look it up online).
4. if none of those work and a repeat physical reveals a BP again >140/90, and you don't really have any other comorbidities like diabetes or congestive heart failure etc... then a simple diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide) would be the first line therapy for you.
7/20/13 2:44 AM
future_jabroni
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tbz -  as the title says, went to the doctor today and got a blood pressure check, he said it should be around 90? but it was 144? on his little machine, i asked him what i can do, and apart from lose weight and change my diet he didnt give me much more info. i do need to drop at least 20 - 30 kgs as well. 

anyone have any tips or diet suggestions to help me out please? 

im also thinking of buying a good juicer and starting to juice fruit and veg, is this a good idea/ would it put me on the right track. my diet atm is pretty shit

The juicing has worked for me. My blood pressure has always been a little high even though I stay in decent shape...way too much job stress.

The particular food that I recommend juicing or using a blender is beets. Over time my blood pressure has dropped to the normal range in large part due to beets, along with other fruits and veggies.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.