UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Who are the UFC's top 5 PPV draws?

9/25/12 9:34 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Of the eight champions now populating the UFC's ranks, three are top pay-per-view draws.

Five fighters – Georges St-Pierre, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones, Chael Sonnen and Rashad Evans – are the promotion's current kings, White said following UFC 152.

White disclosed the list in rebuttal to a Toronto Sun story that was gloomy on the UFC's future. Among its assertions, ex-UFC heavyweight champ Brock Lesnar was listed as the promotion's No. 1 attraction.

White hinted that a new addition to the top-five list is Sonnen, who trumpeted his position as the UFC's top PPV earner in several interviews prior to the blockbuster UFC 148 event, where he lost a second time to middleweight champ Silva.

"Chael Sonnen makes the list now," White said. "I know everybody's going to say, 'He's getting defensive.' I'm not defensive. It just pisses me off when people write inaccurate stories – just to be a d---."

read entire article...

9/25/12 10:44 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dmjr98
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there any way to fond out the order!? I read somewhere else a little while ago that rashad averages out to number 1 if he did is that still true after 148!? Phone Post
9/25/12 11:27 AM
Tardiolli
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Weird to see Chael being mentioned. His fights with Bisping and Stann weren't even main event material.

I think Rampage is up there, despite his recent fights being so-so the man has name power.
9/25/12 11:48 AM
hockey fighter
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Former #1. Brock Lesnar (retired/quit/resting)

1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Jon Jones
3. Anderson Silva
4. Dan Henderson
5. Nick Diaz Phone Post
9/25/12 11:52 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dmjr98 - Is there any way to fond out the order!? I read somewhere else a little while ago that rashad averages out to number 1 if he did is that still true after 148!? Phone Post
It would be a little scewed for him imo, because I think Rampage, Tito and Jones were more responsible for the big ppv buys than Rashad was. Phone Post
9/25/12 11:54 AM
SHOGUN250
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Am I the only one who finds Rashad hard to believe....?

Seriously, he's a bigger draw than Hendo, BJ, Nick Diaz, etc??
9/25/12 12:16 PM
dmjr98
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
dmjr98 - Is there any way to fond out the order!? I read somewhere else a little while ago that rashad averages out to number 1 if he did is that still true after 148!? Phone Post
It would be a little scewed for him imo, because I think Rampage, Tito and Jones were more responsible for the big ppv buys than Rashad was. Phone Post
Interesting view point. Both rampage and rashad were responsible for the numbers they did at 114. When's the last time somebody bought a ppv to see tito? Rashad hyped 145 up pretty much by himself, I'm willing to bet that was jones best selling ppv to date. Phone Post
9/25/12 12:22 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm really happy to see Chael and Rashad on there.  I thought the other three were a given.  Everyone watches GSP and Anderson, and love him or hate him people like to see Jon Jones fight. 

I thought the Diaz Brothers, Hendo, Rampage and maybe even Vandy and Shogun would be somewhere at the top.
9/25/12 12:24 PM
TARRat
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did anyone else here read the original Toronto Sun article? I did, and I don't see anything wrong with its depiction of Lesnar. It stated, and I quote - thus the quotes - "The injuries have come in a year in which No. 1 attraction Brock Lesnar walked away." It doesn't say Lesnar is NOW. I said I don't see anything wrong - that is, unless Lesnar wasn't the #1 attraction. But I thought it was widely accepted as truth that he was.

As far as Rashad goes, I wonder how they calculated it. Was it just numbers from cards the fighters were on, so that even if someone was 2nd fight on the main card, it's counted? Or are they just referring to main and co-main events? Are they looking at averages, or totals? I didn't see any metric stated in either article.
9/25/12 12:36 PM
Jaybrone
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hockey fighter - Former #1. Brock Lesnar (retired/quit/resting)

1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Jon Jones
3. Anderson Silva
4. Dan Henderson
5. Nick Diaz Phone Post
Nick is not a draw his fight with BJ pulled average numbers at best. And BJ has always had pretty good numbers. His fight with Carlos wasn't a big draw either. Phone Post
9/25/12 12:41 PM
cambeezee
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Arianny should make that list too. Phone Post
9/25/12 12:52 PM
FreakDaddy
164 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/12 12:53 PM
9/25/12 2:01 PM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
589 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dmjr98 -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Interesting view point. Both rampage and rashad were responsible for the numbers they did at 114. When's the last time somebody bought a ppv to see tito? Rashad hyped 145 up pretty much by himself, I'm willing to bet that was jones best selling ppv to date. Phone Post
Rampage was the bigger draw at that point, and I think Tito was as well given his name and that he had just won. Jones enviously is bigger. I'm not saying Rashad didn't do anything to hype up those fights, but they had more to do with his opponents than him imo. For example, I don't think Rashad vs Phil Davis would have done very well on ppv. Phone Post
9/25/12 2:12 PM
TARRat
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, but it takes two to tango, as they say. I don't think Phil Davis vs anyone (outside of possibly Silva or Jones) really would have done all that much. Kinda like it's questionable how well Silva-Bonnar is going to do, even though it's Silva.
9/25/12 4:26 PM
dmjr98

OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
dmjr98 -
OnlyTheStrongSurvive -
Rampage was the bigger draw at that point, and I think Tito was as well given his name and that he had just won. Jones enviously is bigger. I'm not saying Rashad didn't do anything to hype up those fights, but they had more to do with his opponents than him imo. For example, I don't think Rashad vs Phil Davis would have done very well on ppv. Phone Post
I've gotta disagree. 114 did so well because of tuf 10 and BOTH of their personalities. While Tito may have been coming off a win rashad was still the bigger star thus bigger draw. Also his first fight after leaving jacksons and most people (myself included) wanted to see what type of fighter he had become since joining the blackzilians. Talk to me about jones being a draw after his next 2 fights. His best 2 ppv were because of the promotion done by his opponents (rampage and suga). His next fight will sell especially if he gets sonnen ( sonnen will hype the fight and the ufc will promote it heavily) but I'm interested to see what his ppv look like with no drama or controversy. Rashads lowest ppv was 108 and those numbers were still pretty good. He's also got 3 ppv that average out to 1 million a piece. Phone Post
9/25/12 4:42 PM
Hungry4Stink
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah it seems obvious the biggest fights they could make would be GSP-Anderson or any combination of Jones, Chael, Rashad, Anderson.

The other big fight I could see between fighters theoretically on the Zuffa roster would be Ronda-Gina. I could see that generating a ton of interest for a Fox card.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.