UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Ideas to help sore knees (not from that)

9/26/12 11:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
brigsy
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looking for ideas for exercises or supplements to help my knees. I guess it might also be age (40) related due to years of abuse. I like getting out in the hills and find walking downhill and down steps is getting really sore and just have sore knees at the end of a day out walking.

Any ideas? Phone Post
9/26/12 1:11 PM
brigsy
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cheers. I wear good walking boots and use poles as well. 10k mg sounds a lot! That's some fishy breath. Isn't 1 k the recommended dose? Phone Post
9/26/12 1:41 PM
1800champagne
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any of the below may help:

Fish oil, msm, chondroitin, glucosamine

Reduce/eliminate consumption of foods that are known to cause inflammation

Joint mobility work targeting knee Phone Post
9/26/12 2:38 PM
brigsy

Cheers. Off to google about inflammatory foods..... Phone Post
9/27/12 7:40 AM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I eat my veggies, stretch my hammies and use a roller; how else can I avoid imbalances and other knee issues?
9/28/12 8:06 AM
MattB ATC
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

419 - I eat my veggies, stretch my hammies and use a roller; how else can I avoid imbalances and other knee issues?

In my experiences, I have found that most people's imbalances are not caused by tight hamstrings and the "tight hamstrings" are instead usually the result of the imbalances. Usual causes have been weak/inactive gluteals along with tightness/mobility deficits associated with poor tissue quality of the hip flexors, adductors, and quads.

If your pain is anterior knee pain, you want to make sure you hip flexor and quad tissue length are adequate, have proper hip mobility, and make sure your gluteals are active and strong. Here is an older, but good article on ways to address that: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/rehabilitation/solving-anterior-knee-pain/
9/30/12 3:55 AM
Spoonie Luv
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.