UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Xcom in 2 weeks.

10/4/12 12:04 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KH Johnsen
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KH Johnsen -
LittleKang -
ferox13 - Try to play alittle of the Demo but it was a bit Clunky on my PC.

Did they get rid of Action Points or make them more simple?
Action Points? Never saw that.... Maybe its the promotion system now Phone Post
No action points. Phone Post
Or rather no time units. Its still turn based Phone Post
10/4/12 12:07 PM
ferox13
825 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/04/12 12:12 PM
El_Clap - clunky is right. I need a new pc. I think I'm going to have to get this for Xbox.

For you Xcom loving Ipad users, Aliens Versus Humans:The Onslaught was released today.

It's pretty much an old school Xcom clone. Will be picking that up this evening.

Yeah - its kinda strange that a turn based game should be so demanding..oh well.

With regard to action points I found this:
In the original games, your characters had a general energy meter that dictated how far they could move without stopping; here, movement is broken into two action points. Moving a certain distance on the map (marked in blue) is one move, while moving into an extended zone (marked in yellow) is considered "dashing" and takes two bars. Moving one bar allows the character to act again that turn, while two bars ends their turn completely.

Looks like they dumbed it down alot.

It kinda looks like you can only have 1 slot in your pck too:

10/4/12 12:22 PM
KH Johnsen
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ferox13 -
El_Clap - clunky is right. I need a new pc. I think I'm going to have to get this for Xbox.

For you Xcom loving Ipad users, Aliens Versus Humans:The Onslaught was released today.

It's pretty much an old school Xcom clone. Will be picking that up this evening.

Yeah - its kinda strange that a turn based game should be so demanding..oh well.

With regard to action points I found this:
In the original games, your characters had a general energy meter that dictated how far they could move without stopping; here, movement is broken into two action points. Moving a certain distance on the map (marked in blue) is one move, while moving into an extended zone (marked in yellow) is considered "dashing" and takes two bars. Moving one bar allows the character to act again that turn, while two bars ends their turn completely.

Looks like they dumbed it down alot.

It kinda looks like you can only have 1 slot in your pck too:

They've made it very much more tactical and less micromanaging hell. They combat is difficult tactical now, not just because, as in the org, that you are underpowered. But it is more accessible, and that can be construed as dumbed down i guess. If you pick the harder modes it's not easy at all Phone Post
10/4/12 12:46 PM
invalid
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pre-ordered.

GameStop is doing some sort of squad DLC bonus. Normally I hate those kinds of bonuses, but figured what the hell. Maybe they'll just look stupid and I'll kill them off.

X-COM!
10/4/12 3:12 PM
ferox13
825 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe I picked up wrong but it seems a character can move twice or move+shoot once regardless of weapon type etc. I am not sure if you can choose aimed or snap shot either.

I just played it for a few mins as my machine wasn't up to it but from what i saw there seemed to less choices. Then again this was just a demo and i didn't even play right the way through. Phone Post
10/4/12 3:23 PM
LittleKang
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ferox13 - Maybe I picked up wrong but it seems a character can move twice or move+shoot once regardless of weapon type etc. I am not sure if you can choose aimed or snap shot either.

I just played it for a few mins as my machine wasn't up to it but from what i saw there seemed to less choices. Then again this was just a demo and i didn't even play right the way through. Phone Post
I think it depends on the class. Watching the playthrough it looked like snipers could move n shoot. Phone Post
10/4/12 3:39 PM
ferox13

Thats what i meant.. Move Twice or Move once AND fire once. I was a bit unclear explaining it earlier. Phone Post
10/6/12 5:04 PM
GnP Sonnen
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it an rts or a shooter Phone Post
10/6/12 8:14 PM
KH Johnsen

Check out xenonaughts if you want a remake of the original. That ones much more true to the format. I have no doubt that firaxis will make an awesome re-imagining though. Phone Post
10/7/12 3:20 AM
ferox13

I love the look of the new one but i feel it might be missing a lot of options that the original had.

Can any one who has played the demo answer these, thanks:

Do you have a choice of shot types (i.e snap shot or aimed shot?)

Do all weapons fire once per turn? Or can faster weapons fire more than slower ones (ie can you get more shots off with a plama pistol than a sniper rifle).

I must say the graphics on the new one look great and it seems atmospheric. The animation for the mind control cracked me up but if they made the combat too simple, it might be a deal breaker. Phone Post
10/7/12 3:39 AM
KH Johnsen

ferox13 - I love the look of the new one but i feel it might be missing a lot of options that the original had.

Can any one who has played the demo answer these, thanks:

Do you have a choice of shot types (i.e snap shot or aimed shot?)

Do all weapons fire once per turn? Or can faster weapons fire more than slower ones (ie can you get more shots off with a plama pistol than a sniper rifle).

I must say the graphics on the new one look great and it seems atmospheric. The animation for the mind control cracked me up but if they made the combat too simple, it might be a deal breaker. Phone Post
No and yes

No action points. But you can use one of your turns to "overwatch" which is a reaction shot activity.
There are perks you unlock through soldier progress which gives you more shots and stuff. Phone Post
10/7/12 4:02 AM
ferox13

I think the fact its cross platform might be part responsible for these changes.

The micro management of inventory isn't a big loss but at this stage it looks like they dumbed down the combat alot (which would take some of the fun out of it for me). The decision to pop one last shot or go for cover OR was it better to try take the ET with one aimed shot rather than a couple of paniced snap shotd was what made the game fot me. Phone Post
10/7/12 4:36 AM
ferox13

Damn - this thread has made me wanna try DosBox out and play the original...

Anyone try this?
10/7/12 5:08 AM
KH Johnsen

ferox13 - Damn - this thread has made me wanna try DosBox out and play the original...

Anyone try this?
Get it of steam. It works Phone Post
10/7/12 5:09 AM
KH Johnsen

ferox13 - I think the fact its cross platform might be part responsible for these changes.

The micro management of inventory isn't a big loss but at this stage it looks like they dumbed down the combat alot (which would take some of the fun out of it for me). The decision to pop one last shot or go for cover OR was it better to try take the ET with one aimed shot rather than a couple of paniced snap shotd was what made the game fot me. Phone Post
Try the demo with the demo editor. Its bot the same as the org but its fun and difficult on the higher levels. Phone Post
10/7/12 5:15 AM
ferox13

Edited: 10/07/12 5:20 AM
KH Johnsen - 
ferox13 - Damn - this thread has made me wanna try DosBox out and play the original...

Anyone try this?

Get it of steam. It works Phone Post

I might try DosBox first as believe it or not I still have my original disk. If I get it from Steam I presume it runs straight off their GUI and no need to tweek it.

Have you playe Apocalyse? I was wondering how good it was compared to the others?
10/7/12 6:26 AM
KH Johnsen

Consensus is that apok is not very good. TFTD is good but hard as fuck and frustrating with the giant maps searching for an alien hiding in a cupboard.
I haven't tried dosbox so don't know how it runs. Phone Post
10/7/12 6:48 AM
ferox13

Thanks man - what i meant was if I buy the games (I might get the pack) via Steam. I don't have to mess around with DosBox - they will just play straight from the steam interface?
10/7/12 8:20 AM
redeye2000
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

was there ever a syndycate FPS game? i thought those were just fairy tales that came from people who add to much coke in their noses :)

about xcom looks great they keep it old school with some new twists.

i remember playing xcom apocalyspe. and i had no fucking clue on how to play that. it was so freaking complicated. i tried i for a weekend then returned th egame. way to complex for my mind.
10/7/12 8:32 AM
ferox13

Edited: 10/07/12 8:32 AM
redeye2000 - was there ever a syndycate FPS game? i thought those were just fairy tales that came from people who add to much coke in their noses

Came out no so long ago for Xbox/PS/PC:

10/7/12 8:43 AM
KH Johnsen

ferox13 - Thanks man - what i meant was if I buy the games (I might get the pack) via Steam. I don't have to mess around with DosBox - they will just play straight from the steam interface?
Yes. It plays perfectly. You can even use the original utility tools so tweak difficulty and stuff. Phone Post
10/7/12 8:45 AM
ferox13

Edited: 10/07/12 10:25 AM

Thanks man - I am tempted. Just €15 for the 5 games. (VTFU)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Just looked at Steam and looks like it won't work for my Win7 (64bit machine):

System Requirements

• Supported OS: Microsoft® 2000/XP/Vista®
    • Processor: 80386 processor or better
    • Memory: 4Mb RAM
    • Sound Cards Supported: AdLib compatible cards, SoundBlaster compatible cards and the Roland LAPC-1.

10/7/12 11:21 AM
choadler
213 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Playing 360 XCOM now. Quick impressions.....

I LOVED the original, but it was what, 15 years ago? I forget some specifics. Would love to answer your specific questions, ferox, but I forget some of the original....

I'm really digging the new one after about 3 hrs of gameplay. They did try to simplify things, make some tutorial aspects more cinematic, but a lot of it seems to work like the old one. I'm still trying to figure out a few features, and that will take more than the 3 hours I played.

Soldiers do progress, and new skills are opened. Some can run and gun, some cannot. I think you can have up to 6 in your squad, but only 4 when you start. A member has to be promoted enough to become a bit of a leader before another slot can open on the team. I like this feature.

Overwatch seems like a good idea, but I do feel like it's mostly a move then shoot experience.

Graphics upgrade is very welcome. It looks good. Not high demands, but it does run on the unreal engine, so plenty of small graphic touches.

From what I've seen, I get a hunch that it will take a longer time to finish. Don't think this is a 20 hour game.

In summary, game seems awesome, especially if a fan of the original. I will not buy this game for $50-60, but then again, I don't think that is worth it for any game. My one $60 game this year will be black ops 2, because we STILL play zombies in my house every single saturday morning. XCOM would probably be right behind black ops 2 as far as purchases go. I'll be very surprised if this game doesn't get high rankings, and I will buy a copy off amazon as soon as I see used versions hitting the market. I do think it is likely well worth the purchase. I do question replayability though, as it seems like I'll play through completion then sell. That being said, I think I'll enjoy every single second of this one.

10/7/12 11:28 AM
KH Johnsen

Sounds good. Is the 360 out in the states now? Its released in Europe on friday Phone Post
10/7/12 11:36 AM
LittleKang
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

KH Johnsen - Sounds good. Is the 360 out in the states now? Its released in Europe on friday Phone Post
Tuesday Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.