UnderGround Forums

GamerGround >> Xcom in 2 weeks.

10/10/12 1:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LittleKang
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - How do you get more engineers? Just from missions? Trying to get some more satellites launched but don't have to engineers for it.
You can build something to get more no clue which ones Phone Post
10/10/12 2:05 PM
invalid
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - How do you get more engineers? Just from missions? Trying to get some more satellites launched but don't have to engineers for it.

A workshop nets you 5 engineers
10/10/12 2:35 PM
gord96
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/12 2:35 PM
gotcha. thanks invalid. have to do some excavating and build a workshop.

how awesome are snipers! got a Nigerian sniper who is a beast. Sadly he was gravely wounded in the last op and is out for 15 days.
10/10/12 2:42 PM
invalid
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They are completely badass. I got really cocky with my baddest dude who was a sniper (earned the nickname Executioner) since I left him alone on high ground and two Floaters jumped behind him and absolutely raped his face.

I think I haven't been using the Support guys to their full potential. Smoke grenades and a ton of medkits? Yes now and forever!
10/10/12 2:52 PM
ferox13
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry invalid - I have only played the original.
10/10/12 3:08 PM
LittleKang
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

invalid - They are completely badass. I got really cocky with my baddest dude who was a sniper (earned the nickname Executioner) since I left him alone on high ground and two Floaters jumped behind him and absolutely raped his face.

I think I haven't been using the Support guys to their full potential. Smoke grenades and a ton of medkits? Yes now and forever!
My favourite is having my snipers cover the flanks of my heavies with their lmg's. Then one assault who charges to get close enough to stun bastards Phone Post
10/10/12 11:43 PM
gord96
95 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How hard are the terror missions? Was trucking along all well and good and now I just got a terror mission in Japan. I have just been doing easy and medium missions and this one is very difficult. What should I expect?

Also, should you expect to lose funding from some regions? I have most of the world under control but a few countries panic meters are almost full. Haven't had any missions there so no way to bring down the panic at this point. Thanks for any info. :)
10/11/12 12:09 AM
choadler
181 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jesus, I'm smiling reading this thread.

my wife asked for help with the laundry on Sunday. I said "fuck no, we are under attack". End of conversation

10/11/12 1:25 AM
killacox
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yellow is flanked, red is completely exposed

seems the gear is brought back. also when your dudes are wounded they are stripped of non default gear and then if its available its put back on when they are healed

ive only captured one non story alien and dont recall the results but researching the corpses you get gives tech unlocks

10/11/12 1:28 AM
killacox

gord96 - How hard are the terror missions? Was trucking along all well and good and now I just got a terror mission in Japan. I have just been doing easy and medium missions and this one is very difficult. What should I expect?

Also, should you expect to lose funding from some regions? I have most of the world under control but a few countries panic meters are almost full. Haven't had any missions there so no way to bring down the panic at this point. Thanks for any info. :)

just use overwatch as much as you can, and know/use the perks you give your men.

you may lose 7 and the 8th region to quit makes you lose the game. sats bring down panic and capturing the alien base brings down everyones panic
10/11/12 3:48 AM
ferox13
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think i might pick it up for the xbox when it drops a bit. Phone Post
10/11/12 4:42 AM
Amano Ginji
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lol I'm playing the original on super human, base got attacked 23 january, complete assrape. Next run I do well until April, then they send in the big boys, hovers and those infectors and rape me :)

Anyone knoe if character development is only linked to kills, skill usage, number of missions or hidden attributes? I can't figure it out. Some guys have alnost no kills and progress faster than the top dogs.

Can't wait until friday for the release of the new Xcom Phone Post
10/11/12 5:04 AM
ferox13

Edited: 10/11/12 5:04 AM
invalid -  How important is capturing life aliens?

I think you need to capture aliens to develop psi-powers for your soldiers (it was like that in the original I think)
10/11/12 10:06 AM
killacox

developing psi powers are now linked to a world event
10/11/12 11:33 AM
invalid

Doesn't make a lick of difference for me lol

I was on my second play last night (still on normal difficulty). Instead of running out of resources (engineers/money), this time I had a base really built up but such an under equipped squad that when we ran into the guys that start popping up during the base attack... I got wiped quickly. Which led to a cycle of throwing inexperienced rookies into a meat grinder.

If I can just get past that mission I think I'd be ok. I lost 3 countries in the meantime, but my base really is hauling ass lol

Every time I lose I learn something, and I really don't want a FAQ or anything to hold my hand because this is still so fun
10/11/12 12:14 PM
gord96

which mission do you speak of invalid? the aliens attack your base?
10/11/12 12:28 PM
invalid

Nah, the one you raid in Europe. It's still embarrassingly early in the game, but I keep getting destroyed by Muton and Chrisillid waves there
10/11/12 12:40 PM
killacox

Edited: 10/11/12 12:45 PM
really enjoyed that mission, sent 5 colonels and a shiv, 3 came back critical and i lost the shiv

this is my first real play through so i tested to see if the base mission had a timer and it didnt seem to, so i did some other missions before going there to get some new toys (alloy cannon shotgun ftw)

i also didnt do the story quests right away so by that mission i had tier 3 weapons and titan and skel armor
10/11/12 12:50 PM
invalid

Yeah, I made the mistake of not having anything but a couple laser weapons going in. It was ugly lol
10/11/12 1:08 PM
LittleKang

invalid - Yeah, I made the mistake of not having anything but a couple laser weapons going in. It was ugly lol
How are you guys cranking out that money lol. Pretty much everything for me is going towards getting my third satelitte up Phone Post
10/11/12 1:29 PM
killacox

Edited: 10/11/12 1:31 PM
i lucked out, some nation wanted some space guns for 1500+

so im all like fuck ya! now im guessing those weapons are being used in some war to kill innocents and shit

another thing i just noticed last night is that some items in the market tell you they are useless and just sell them

sats in some countries bring in more money than others, no clue if the fluctuation is due to panic level or what
10/11/12 1:33 PM
gord96

Thanks for the info guys. Another question. How do you know what a story mission is? And how long can you ignore a mission before it goes away (ie. i have that nasty terror mission to do in Japan, do I have to do it right away?)?
10/11/12 2:22 PM
killacox

story missions are when a research is green and priority. like capture an x alien or research x device. the base one was on map screen and had a button above the scan one

as for ignoring missions, i went to ignore one and noticed i lost it pretty quick :/ but that was a crash site.

dont want to really miss a terror mission because it helps panic levels a ton
10/11/12 2:31 PM
invalid

LittleKang - 
invalid - Yeah, I made the mistake of not having anything but a couple laser weapons going in. It was ugly lol
How are you guys cranking out that money lol. Pretty much everything for me is going towards getting my third satelitte up Phone Post

I cranked out a few factories early on, then a couple satellites. I tried to time it so that they would launch just before each month ended so that I would get a couple extra bucks. I also use the grey market probably too much, but I think I'm finding a decent balance between having enough stuff for research and cashing in when I need $60 for a power generator or something.

I finally just got my shit together and beat the base invasion mission. It's amazing what having plasma weapons + good armor does. I did it with all but 1 rookie lol. I'm starting to get the tech tree a little more as far as what unlocks what... I had captured a couple of those early level guys and was wondering where my sweet weapons were not realizing I still needed the research lol
10/11/12 11:39 PM
invalid

Edited: 10/11/12 11:50 PM
A poster named Fuzz on SomethingAwful's megathread has some pretty good starting tips. Everyone's not going to agree with everything, but I found it helpful

Some fun getting started pro-tips to recap for the thread:

1- Congratulations on unlocking Assault on your guy! Now promptly go into his Loadout, swap out the shotgun, and give him back an Assault Rifle. You can thank me later.

2- Build satellites, satellites, and more satellites. Don't bother putting them in the same continent your base is in, you already have that bonus. The first 2-3 should just go into the big payers: USA, Russia, UK, Germany, China, Japan. Dropping a Satellite in a country will also lower its Panic by 2, so you can use this as a last ditch to save a high-paying country from leaving.

3- As soon as you have 10 Engineers you need to build a second Uplink and link it to the first, then build 2 more satellites.

4- Build your base in Africa or Asia. Thank me later when you realize you have piles of money where you would have been broke as fuck.

5- Adjacency bonuses work horizontally and vertically.

6- Squadsight is the only skill a Sniper needs. All else means NOTHING. For extra fun: put them somewhere with good visibility and pop them into Overwatch at the START of your round. They'll get a free shot on any groups of guys you see BEFORE they can run into cover. Hilarity ensues.

7- Get lasers ASAP. To do this, research Weapon Fragments, then Beam Weapons, then Precision Lasers. Heavy Lasers are handy too, but Heavies are mostly way less useful than a good Assault, Support, or Sniper. Heavy Laser gives you Laser Cannons, however, and they're basically the best ship weapon you'll have for awhile.

8- Never build Phoenix Cannons.

9- Assaults should always be built going straight down the left side until you hit Major. To do otherwise is folly.

10- Heavies should be built going straight down the right side for similar reasons.

11- Always have at least 2 Assaults on your squad, and make judicious use of Flush and Run and Gun. Those two skills are amazing.

12- Always do Council Requests, even if they're something crazy like building some country a satellite. They always pay back more than you have to pay.

13- One regular power gen, a Thermal Gen, and an Elerium gen are all you will ever need if they are all linked together. You technically don't even need the Regular one at the end, but you have to build one unless you were crazy lucky and had a steam vent close to your second level Access Shaft.

14- Improved Pistols is iterative and improves ALL pistols, including plasma.

15- Once you have 2 really good Squadsight Snipers, your third should do the opposite and be a run-and-gunner with the Pistol damage boost and the Scanner. Give him/her the best pistol you have, some grenades, and a Skeleton Suit. Be awed and amazed as you realize that throwing the scanner doesn't trigger Aliens running into cover, so you can be an ultra scout early on and let your Snipers clean house easily.

16- Invest in the Improved Arc Thrower as soon as you can, then make regular use of it to capture aliens even if you already researched them. Free Plasma weapons.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.