UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> R.I.P Evan Tanner

10/20/12 1:43 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HexRei
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Narcolepsy - When is the documentary coming out? Isn't it being release on PPV in January?

according to the post a few above yours, it comes out Dec 28th on PPV.
10/21/12 6:21 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator

sad, but uplifting in a way.

10/22/12 2:52 PM
hockey fighter
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will ALWAYS TTT an Evan Tanner thread. Hard to believe its been over 4 years.

We miss you Evan! Your words and message will live on forever! Phone Post
10/22/12 8:55 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

10/23/12 11:28 AM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk
378 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who remembers when he took his UFC money and played blackjack for 3 days straight and lost it all , drinking beers ? He was balls to the wall, no matter what he was doing lol.  And where is the picture of his sailboat in the Harbor in San Diego ?? Somebody post that.

He lived 5 lifetimes in his short time on earth.

10/23/12 11:32 AM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

:)

10/23/12 3:54 PM
hockey fighter
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_mrzipplokk -

Who remembers when he took his UFC money and played blackjack for 3 days straight and lost it all , drinking beers ? He was balls to the wall, no matter what he was doing lol.  And where is the picture of his sailboat in the Harbor in San Diego ?? Somebody post that.

He lived 5 lifetimes in his short time on earth.

Very true. The guy was a journeyman to the core.

I miss him being around. The Dave Terrell beating... His fights vs NYBA, Lawlor, Franklin were all epic. One of my favorite fights was ever was Tanner vs Levins, God bless them both. Heck, even the TUF 7 Finale was great since he headlined. That was a close gritty fight vs Kendall. I really hoped Tanner would be back in the mix.

Thanks again Evan for everything, I know you're reading this :) Phone Post
10/23/12 4:45 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk

Like Mask, his legend will live on forever in the mma community :-)

10/24/12 9:40 AM
Card
1816 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/12 9:39 AM
10/24/12 9:42 AM
Card
1816 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/24/12 9:43 AM

A Fighter with a big heart comes to Fort Worth to build a new playground for a low income school:

A Parent Teacher Association had been working hard to raise the funds needed to build a safe playground for the 870+ children attending this low-income school. A $5,000 grant that the school received for the playground had a stipulation. After raising the remaining funds needed for the playground equipment the school would have to build it themselves. They needed 150 volunteers to do the build successfully. A parent started contacting as many athletes as she could think of. She knew that strength and stamina was what the school was going to need to get the playground built in one day. There were few responses. Professional fighter, Evan Tanner of UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) heard about the need for tough guys with big hearts and offered to fly in from Las Vegas to help.

"Your Cause is a good one." "I will be there," Evan Tanner simply stated.

The playground build was on Saturday, November 3rd. Starting at 8am and ending at 5pm when the playground was completed. Evan Tanner showed up bright and early with a smile on his face and ready to work.

Tanner spent the first part of the day building a rock climb side by side with a parent and some teachers. After that job was done he moved outside to the site and just jumped in and moved from one task to another. Seeing each task completed before he moved on to the next. Not once did he stand still unless it where for a picture with a fan.

"Tanner managed to nearly have a hand in putting together every part of this playground today." "He is amazing." "I have never seen anything like it," said a local volunteer.

After the equipment was up, concrete in, and everything leveled it was lunch time. Tanner had a few minutes to get some food in before he spent his lunch time signing autographs for the 50 or more kids attending. He brought trading cards and gave each child an autographed picture writing something inspirational on each one.

"The ones to my daughters say, Live strong and dream big and Live well, Laugh often, and Love much," revealed a fan.

He also signed a t-shirt here or there upon request. The children seemed to be in awe. He then met with some local heroes out in the parking lot. The local fire department showed up to support the build day. The bunch of heroes took part in getting some autographs as well. Once lunch was over he was back at work moving the mountain of mulch.

"That man is a machine, a human shovel," said a volunteer from a local church.

"I guarantee that Tanner moved a third of that mountain himself!" said a parent and volunteer.

"He brought the same intensity to the playground build that he brings to the octagon," stated a fan.

"He has the most heart of anyone I have ever met, a true inspiration." "Not too many people get to meet someone as humble and giving as Mr. Evan Tanner." "He flew here to work for strangers, for free." "He made this day for the kids even more special than I had hoped for." "It is nice to know that some athletes remember that they can make a difference outside of their sport." "I am Lucky to have met him," declared volunteer and Playground Leader.

10/24/12 12:31 PM
UGCTT_I Got Fitched Up

Edited: 10/24/12 12:30 PM

^^^^^^ That is just truly jaw dropping and inspiring.

10/26/12 6:11 PM
UnderTheClock

Especially because it seems to me that in some minds "living free" is just a code word for his disease.

10/27/12 11:49 AM
BravoPUA
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Card - 

A Fighter with a big heart comes to Fort Worth to build a new playground for a low income school:

A Parent Teacher Association had been working hard to raise the funds needed to build a safe playground for the 870+ children attending this low-income school. A $5,000 grant that the school received for the playground had a stipulation. After raising the remaining funds needed for the playground equipment the school would have to build it themselves. They needed 150 volunteers to do the build successfully. A parent started contacting as many athletes as she could think of. She knew that strength and stamina was what the school was going to need to get the playground built in one day. There were few responses. Professional fighter, Evan Tanner of UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship) heard about the need for tough guys with big hearts and offered to fly in from Las Vegas to help.

"Your Cause is a good one." "I will be there," Evan Tanner simply stated.

The playground build was on Saturday, November 3rd. Starting at 8am and ending at 5pm when the playground was completed. Evan Tanner showed up bright and early with a smile on his face and ready to work.

Tanner spent the first part of the day building a rock climb side by side with a parent and some teachers. After that job was done he moved outside to the site and just jumped in and moved from one task to another. Seeing each task completed before he moved on to the next. Not once did he stand still unless it where for a picture with a fan.

"Tanner managed to nearly have a hand in putting together every part of this playground today." "He is amazing." "I have never seen anything like it," said a local volunteer.

After the equipment was up, concrete in, and everything leveled it was lunch time. Tanner had a few minutes to get some food in before he spent his lunch time signing autographs for the 50 or more kids attending. He brought trading cards and gave each child an autographed picture writing something inspirational on each one.

"The ones to my daughters say, Live strong and dream big and Live well, Laugh often, and Love much," revealed a fan.

He also signed a t-shirt here or there upon request. The children seemed to be in awe. He then met with some local heroes out in the parking lot. The local fire department showed up to support the build day. The bunch of heroes took part in getting some autographs as well. Once lunch was over he was back at work moving the mountain of mulch.

"That man is a machine, a human shovel," said a volunteer from a local church.

"I guarantee that Tanner moved a third of that mountain himself!" said a parent and volunteer.

"He brought the same intensity to the playground build that he brings to the octagon," stated a fan.

"He has the most heart of anyone I have ever met, a true inspiration." "Not too many people get to meet someone as humble and giving as Mr. Evan Tanner." "He flew here to work for strangers, for free." "He made this day for the kids even more special than I had hoped for." "It is nice to know that some athletes remember that they can make a difference outside of their sport." "I am Lucky to have met him," declared volunteer and Playground Leader.

remember when this happened

got some dust in here
10/27/12 8:03 PM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk

Removed it I got Fitched. No worries bro.

10/29/12 1:16 AM
Ramirez83
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Evan was an awesome human being,he's actually from the same Texas town as me. He was a known wrestler at one of the high schools here and really made a name for himself in MMA by competing and dominating in a local MMA company known as USWF,which was ran by another local legend Steve Nelson.

Evan won his first title in the company against another former UFC fighter in Paul Buentello. The USWF had some big names come compete such as Dan Severn,Don Frye and Ralph Gracie. Evan was the type of guy who if he'd had met you before he'd remember you if he saw you again. He was the type that would hang out with the fans and would make sure he signed everyone an autograph who wanted one.

I personally didn't know him but I did meet him a few times and it was differently a blessing to meet him. Him passing was a travesty not only for his hometown but the whole MMA world. I've never met or known of anyone who didn't like him as a fighter or as a person. Watching his tribute video was very heartbreaking and showed what a great man he was. RIP Evan Tanner Phone Post
11/1/12 7:34 AM
Pito Chueco
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MovieGuy - 

Evan was a good fighter, very talented, and tough. but let's not make him a messiah. The man had issues with substance abuse and very clearly offed himself AND made it public, which makes it a public discussion.  his fight with NYBA was awesome and tanner no doubt deserves our respect. But let's stop glossing over the causes of his death and be adults for just a minute and own up to what really happened

How did he "Off" himself? May have been a bit foolish regarding his survival skills, but from all appearances it was not a suicide mission.
11/1/12 4:34 PM
HexRei

He texted friends several times about the problems he was experiencing. If he really wanted to die he wouldn't be updating his friends about how the spring he had tried to collect water from was dry, or how he was out of gas, but going to walk back. IMO. He'd just ride out there and die in silence.
11/2/12 9:31 AM
Card

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/9/9/610540/remembering-evan-tanner

Evan Tanner was an utter badass and a true free spirit; no he wasn't one of the absolute all-time greats, but I think he's a Hall of Famer. Here's why:

1. He was one of the best fighters to come out of the first wave of regional MMA events in America. His only peers in this were Josh Barnett, Pat Militech, Jeremy Horn and Heath Herring.

2. He was a UFC champion and a Neo-blood champion in Pancrase back when that really meant something.

3. He was one of the first, if not the first fighters, to combine good wrestling, effective muy thai in the clinch, and good jiu jitsu. More than that he practically invented elbows on the ground. Not cheap ass glancing open a cut elbows either -- Tanner's ground and pound elbows were short sharp shocks that stunned and damaged grounded opponents. Watch his very first UFC fights to see why Tanner's career lasted a decade.

Its noteworthy that he taught himself jiu jitsu and muy thai with instructional videos and books. Combined with his background as a Texas state wrestling champ -- again he was a prodigy, since he didn't start wrestling until 10th grade!

4. He finished fights. Out of 32 wins, only 3 were by decision.

5. He was always game and never gave up. His come back wins against Phil Baroni, Robbie Lawler and Dave Terrell are legendary for a reason. His losses to Rich Franklin showed just as much spirit.
11/2/12 12:43 PM
Golden Boy
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He didn't off himself. I knew the guy over a decade. For anyone to say otherwise just doesn't know what they are talking about. Good to see Evan still remembered.
11/3/12 8:57 PM
StretchPlum

I never heard any real speculation back then that he committed suicide. I had the impression that it was more of a cleansing trip, if that's the right word for it.
11/5/12 8:35 AM
UGCTT_mrzipplokk

Yes, he enjoyed pushing the envelope.

11/5/12 12:00 PM
HexRei

I heard lots of speculation, mostly because of what he said beforehand I think.
11/5/12 4:20 PM
DennisinRio
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP Evan Tanner

11/10/12 1:26 AM
Tatami Strangler
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP
11/12/12 4:43 PM
charms434
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shorebreaker420 -
Nicknitro -
shorebreaker420 -  Everybody thought that Terrell guy was the next best thing, Tanner came in the beat the brakes off that boy.. Ill never forget that fight Phone Post

That was the first UFC PPV I ever watched, pretty much my first experience with MMA in general. He had the samurai hairstyle that fight too.
1st time i saw ufc, back in 2000, rented ufc 2 and 3 from a lil movie rental place that had jus opened up.. I never looked back, i breath mma... I check these apps ever 20 minutes through out the day, im obessed Phone Post
So Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.