UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> More DC retcons in the new 52

9/27/12 9:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1369 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/26/tim-drake-is-no-longer-tim-drake/

and http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/27/thursday-runaround-the-new-danger-mouse-and-penfold/

Tim Drake is not really Tim Drake.  It's a bit convoluted, but he's Tim...somebody.  He became Tim Drake after his parents entered the witness protection program.

And this is the new Oracle

*spits venom*

9/27/12 9:19 AM
paw
1369 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw comments:  The Tim Drake fiasco doesn't bother me so much as I wonder why.  If I thought DC was going to do something interesting with Tim that would be one thing, but the way things are going, I don't see the point.

As to Oracle....frak you DC! 

9/27/12 9:21 AM
disbeliever
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
lol Is DC run by lunatics these days?
9/27/12 9:33 AM
BigWilliam
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wait... what? Oracle is some monster from Krypton?

What happened to everyone died except the infant Kal-El?

I think Krypton survived and his parents just didn't want to raise a kid so they fired him off in a rocket with a story so he would never come home.
9/27/12 9:44 AM
paw

disbeliever - lol Is DC run by lunatics these days?

Check this out:

Really, because based on what others are commenting on the issue evidentally Tim Drake:

Was never Robin. Was recruited by Batman.
Didn't figure out Batman's identity from facial tics. (Dick Grayson did.)
Has two living parents who support him as Robin. (They're in witness protection.)
His name isn't Tim Drake. It's a pseudonym.

.....how does that equate to 90% of his origin still being intact? 

If I thought Lobdell had a super-cool plot point that depended on an entirely new origin, I might feel differently, but I get the impression Lobdell has no idea what he's doing.

9/27/12 10:18 AM
disbeliever
331 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
They just flip flop and retcon way too much imo.

Oh this crisis erased 70% of the universe

But wait this crossover rewrites 25% of the 70% we erased

Second crisis now rewrites the rest

Fuck that were doing a new 52 and starting 100% over, fresh start!

But wait, 2 weeks into our fresh start we decide to re-do 36.54% of our first re-do, which makes everything doodoo
9/27/12 10:30 AM
paw

disbeliever - They just flip flop and retcon way too much imo.

Oh this crisis erased 70% of the universe

But wait this crossover rewrites 25% of the 70% we erased

Second crisis now rewrites the rest

Fuck that were doing a new 52 and starting 100% over, fresh start!

But wait, 2 weeks into our fresh start we decide to re-do 36.54% of our first re-do, which makes everything doodoo

Pretty much.

I really don't understand how DC can say that the new 52 was a way to bring in new readers because it's easier to understand, and then contradict themselves so often (up to and including changing trade paperbacks so they aren't the same as the monthly printed comic). 

Seems pretty clear to me that all that "talk" DC made about having a plan, having timelines mapped out, etc....was a bunch of hooey.

9/27/12 11:02 AM
ShadoKhan
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i just wonder when they will give this up and say this is part of the multiverse and they will go back to the original universe....

9/27/12 11:19 AM
BigWilliam
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They still have never explained how Batman has had so many side kicks in such a short amount of time.
9/27/12 11:38 AM
paw

BigWilliam - They still have never explained how Batman has had so many side kicks in such a short amount of time.

It can't be explained and It's worse than that, actually.

In Birds of Prey #0, it was established that Dinah has only been Black Canary for a year - despite knowing Barbara Gordon when Barbara was Batgirl (read: over a year ago as it was established that Barbara was in the wheel chair for that time).  Also in Batman and Robin #0 Damian is shown playing "dress up" with Batman's costume - which he couldn't have done because Batman wasn't operating as Batman at the time of Damian birth.

Complete mess, imo.  Readers have no sane choice other than to completely disregard the "official" timelines that DC is suggesting.

I don't know much about marketing, but it seems like a bad idea to basically force readers to ignore what you tell them.

9/27/12 2:30 PM
BigWilliam

Maybe in Batman and Robin #0 what they were showing is... Damian was the REAL Batman and Bruce Wayne just copied him?

Oh yeah!
9/27/12 3:12 PM
Twostep
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is the problem with having 12 "Bat-books" and no one being on the same page. I enjoy the Batman and Batman and Robin comics, but I have to look at them as a seperate universe sometimes, like the previously discussed Batman and Robin 0.

It's a cluster, that's for sure.
9/27/12 3:39 PM
paw

Twostep - This is the problem with having 12 "Bat-books" and no one being on the same page. I enjoy the Batman and Batman and Robin comics, but I have to look at them as a seperate universe sometimes, like the previously discussed Batman and Robin 0.

My local comic book shop owner actually told me to consider all books in the new 52 as separate universes - ie the Bruce Wayne in Batman & Robin, is not the same Bruce Wayne in Batman, etc.....  Granted, this was months ago, but he was dead serious at the time.

9/27/12 3:41 PM
paw

Edited: 09/27/12 3:41 PM
Dead Again - 
Twostep - This is the problem with having 12 "Bat-books" and no one being on the same page. I enjoy the Batman and Batman and Robin comics, but I have to look at them as a seperate universe sometimes, like the previously discussed Batman and Robin 0.

Yep, that's how I look at it also.

I also disregard anything they write that I don't like and just keep the history I agree with in my head. For example, as far as I'm concerned, Tim Drake was Robin and I don't care what they write, that's teh way it is.

The funny thing is, DC has published material that says Tim Drake was Robin (Teen Titans #1)...and then re-published the same material in trade and changed it so that it no longer says Tim Drake was Robin.

The best part?  Lobdell was the writer, and the one that said Tim Drake was never Robin.

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=2061727

9/27/12 4:24 PM
Twostep
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw - 

My local comic book shop owner actually told me to consider all books in the new 52 as separate universes - ie the Bruce Wayne in Batman & Robin, is not the same Bruce Wayne in Batman, etc.....  Granted, this was months ago, but he was dead serious at the time.

Haha that's crazy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.