UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jackson: Jones elbow 'just strained'

9/27/12 10:26 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
917 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

At UFC 152 UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones came as close to losing his title when Vitor Belfort kicked off the cage and sunk an armbar until the elbow popped loud enough to hear.

“He got that armbar in every way, shape and form,” Jones reflected. “I’ve never had my arm pop like that before. I felt it, but I worked too hard to give up. I was honestly waiting for it to break, but I wasn’t going to tap out. It just felt numb.”

“It’s a personal choice, and when there’s a lot on the line, like a world title, I think that’s what you have to do,” Jackson said of Jones’ refusal to tap. “You have to kind of have that mentality where you’re not going to get stopped. As you’re coming up [the ranks], it’s a personal choice for the fighter, but it’s not nearly as important. When you’ve got your world title on the line, it becomes pretty important. It’s a good mentality to have. I was very proud of him for just saying, you know what, I’m going to gut through it and get through it. I thought it was kind of inspirational.”

Jones was spotted with his arm in a sling the next day as he watched his brothers compete on separate NFL teams. However, n an interview on the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show, Jones' coach Greg Jackson said the injury was not serious.

“It didn’t dislocate or anything,” Jackson told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I’m sure it’s just strained, and maybe a bursa sac or two went out, but I don’t think it’s going to be anything major.”

“We had trained for the armbars. Vitor’s really, really good at it and was able to lock it on before Jon could really get his counter in. It was incredibly quick, and that’s a testament to Vitor’s skill. We had watched him and trained for it, but he was fast. He caught Jon, and Jon was able to work out of it, but yeah, it was very impressive that we were ready for it and [Belfort] still got it.”

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (1:55:52 mark)

UFC President Dana White made similar remarks at the UFC on FUEL TV pre fight press conference.

"Reports I've heard is that it was better than we thought," said White. "Not that good (that he could fight in December), but we'll see. I don't know all the details yet, but it's nothing horrible – or I would've heard already."

"He wanted to see his doctor first. Then we'll fly him out to the West Coast and he'll see our doctor. I just don't see him being out that long. It doesn't seem like it's going to be that bad. Believe me, if it was going to be that (long), he'd be in some serious pain and we'd know. I don't think it's going to be that bad – which is amazing, considering that armbar."

"(I have) nothing but respect for the fight he fought that night."

Read entire article...

9/27/12 10:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
1798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good news.

9/27/12 10:33 AM
SC MMA MD
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good. Would have been a shame if his arm had lasting damage Phone Post
9/27/12 10:37 AM
Bisping decisioned my SN
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I knew it wasn't serious. Everyone was making a bigger deal than it was.... Phone Post
9/27/12 11:11 AM
Van City 604

I'm happy it wasn't serious, it's a joy to watch him fight, I just can't stand listening to him speak.
9/27/12 11:16 AM
KnowKontrol
16 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet then the beat downs can resume. Phone Post
9/27/12 11:25 AM
Snakey

Glad to hear hes ok!

FEAR THE BEARD ANDERSON!
9/27/12 11:51 AM
jtown2
107 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good. Fight Hendo in January with machida on the same card so we never have another 151. Phone Post
9/27/12 11:55 AM
hmb

His arm is fine

-Greg Jackson, MD.
9/27/12 12:10 PM
orcus

I'm shocked that his career is not in jeopardy from a failed armbar.

9/27/12 12:12 PM
disbeliever
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, Moderator
orcus - 

One can still get very seriously injured from a "failed" arm bar. The arm bar wasn't a fail, he had it extended. You can nit pick his form, but he had an arm bar locked in. Jones fought through it though and escaped.

Someone could heal hook you and rip your knee apart, but you slip out before tapping.
9/27/12 12:14 PM
Tankhead
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm glad to hear this. I think all the talking about it being a career ending injury was just wishful thinking on behalf of his slew of haters. Phone Post
9/27/12 2:34 PM
Rouge Mod
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmb - His arm is fine

-Greg Jackson, MD.

Yeah. What???

And "a bursa sac or two went out" doesn't sound minor at all, even if he was actually giving an official medical opinion. I always hope for fighters to maintain their health and I hope for the best for Jones. But Jackson's statement doesn't mean much IMO.

9/27/12 2:37 PM
G-Hands
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If I read this blog entry right, Greg Jackson is stating his opinion.

I'll wait until actual medical results come in before reacting to any news.
9/27/12 2:51 PM
orcus

disbeliever - 
orcus - 

One can still get very seriously injured from a "failed" arm bar. The arm bar wasn't a fail, he had it extended. You can nit pick his form, but he had an arm bar locked in. Jones fought through it though and escaped.

Someone could heal hook you and rip your knee apart, but you slip out before tapping.

But he continued using the arm with no signs of injury for the remainer of a 4-round fight, including using it to finish his own submission. 

Anyway, what I meant was more that no one's career has seemingly been in jeopardy from even submissions that went all the way to breaking bones (Nog, Sylvia, etc), so all the weird stuff around this particular armbar, that did not end the fight or seemingly affect the fight for the remaining 18 minutes or whatever, (like Dana saying if he had to retire, Vitor would get the belt) always seemed silly to me. 

9/27/12 2:52 PM
Kimbos Bread

Glad he's ok. Don't want an injury like that to impede his quality twitter posts Phone Post
9/27/12 2:56 PM
voorhees

I would NEVER hope a fighter gets injured.

But man,I came close to hoping this time....
9/27/12 3:01 PM
Papa BUrgandy
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hmb - His arm is fine

-Greg Jackson, MD.

I am sure Jackson has a slow methodical boring rehab plan for Jones' recovery.
9/27/12 3:05 PM
disbeliever
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

orcus - 
disbeliever - 
orcus - 

But he continued using the arm with no signs of injury for the remainer of a 4-round fight, including using it to finish his own submission. 

Anyway, what I meant was more that no one's career has seemingly been in jeopardy from even submissions that went all the way to breaking bones (Nog, Sylvia, etc), so all the weird stuff around this particular armbar, that did not end the fight or seemingly affect the fight for the remaining 18 minutes or whatever, (like Dana saying if he had to retire, Vitor would get the belt) always seemed silly to me. 

My entire point was to show you even a submission that doesn't get a tap, can cause serious, even career ending injuries. These people are in the middle of a fight, with adrenal glands pumping hormones. There has been lots of instances even in recent MMA where a fighter breaks a bone or has a bad injury and fights on, sometimes still using the limb. Elbows, knees and shoulders are very complex joints.

Nog and Sylvia's arm breaks were, if memory serves, clean breaks across the bones above and below the elbow, and not on the joint itself, right?

You're right though in that not many fighters get an injury from a submission that is so bad they can't ever fight again, and Dana saying what he said was silly. even Corey Hill whose leg snapped in half mid fight ended up fighting again after healing
9/27/12 3:24 PM
The Last Emperor

Edited: 09/27/12 3:24 PM
Glad he's not badly injured. I'd be devastated if I wasn't able to root against this guy again very soon.
9/27/12 3:30 PM
Orcus Knows MMA Better Than Goku

so was this nerve damage nonsense just a load of BS to make jones look like the ultimate warrior?

9/27/12 3:58 PM
Snakey

Im not so sure,
Vitor had that sunk in pretty tight.

Plus the pain on Jones face was real.

However we now might get
JONES V ANDERSON!

Fear the beard Anderson, Fear the beard
9/27/12 4:25 PM
cheesesteak
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ehrmagerd its jurst a sprane gers
9/27/12 8:05 PM
Jaybrone
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To bad for his haters. Good news regardless of what people say the guy is amazing to watch.

9/27/12 8:24 PM
Ryan Williams
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I rather have my arm cleanly broken than the joint and ligaments being damaged. T Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.