UnderGround Forums

GeekGround >> DC Timeline

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/28/12 12:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1820 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The folks at Comicosity have constructed a timeline of the DCU - with help from DC creators.  You can check it out at:

http://www.comicosity.com/read-between-the-lines-history-of-the-dc-universe-3-0/

There's also an *Asterisk of Editorial Shame for items that cannot fit or cannot be true (which includes notes from Rob Liefeld, of course).  For example,

There are several inconsistencies in Deathstroke’s history between Team 7 #0, Deathstroke #9, #0 and Resurrection Man #5, #0 — including his costume and loyalties. Deathstroke #0 places Team 7 forming approximately 15 years too early. (I tweeted with Rob Liefeld in relation to the inconsistency in Deathstroke. His response was “not my concern …coordinate that with DC editorial please.” with the follow-up comment “I was given deliberate marks and direction by the Team 7 editorial to hit in my story and I did.”)

9/28/12 12:49 PM
RhinoBJJ_NUniao
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is there a list like this that can tell me which major events in DC to read in order?

I.E. crisis events etc Phone Post
9/28/12 3:18 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like DC and have enjoyed most of the New 52, I just don't bother with the timelines and read the stories.

Reading that timeline made me go
Phone Post
9/28/12 3:29 PM
dizz
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not gonna lie, DC confuses the shit out of me. I tend to read the comics without having a clue as to what's going on. Basically I just read them and say "HEY THOSE ARE PRETTY COLORS, LOL THAT WAS A GOOD FIGHT," etc. etc.

Kind of why I prefer Marvel, since it has a continuous arc I can follow, even if that arc gets REALLY shitty sometimes

9/28/12 3:30 PM
YVEL MACHIDA
779 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dizz -

Not gonna lie, DC confuses the shit out of me. I tend to read the comics without having a clue as to what's going on. Basically I just read them and say "HEY THOSE ARE PRETTY COLORS, LOL THAT WAS A GOOD FIGHT," etc. etc.

Kind of why I prefer Marvel, since it has a continuous arc I can follow, even if that arc gets REALLY shitty sometimes

I'm actually lookin forward to Marvel Now! Phone Post
9/28/12 5:44 PM
paw
1820 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RhinoBJJ_NUniao -  Is there a list like this that can tell me which major events in DC to read in order?

I.E. crisis events etc Phone Post

Tough question.  Since the new 52 started, it's pretty hard to know what's still in continuity (read: what events have actually happened).  The safest thing, imo is to assume that nothing pre-new 52 has happened.  So, from that standpoint, you're all caught up.

If you're interested in just reading good stories and don't care if they count, then I'd suggest:

Kingdom Come

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Identity Crisis

Superman: Up, Up and Away

Death: The High Cost of Living

...for a start at least

9/29/12 12:23 AM
RhinoBJJ_NUniao
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome. Yeah I just wanna read cool storylines.

I finished final crisis the other day. Hadn't ever read it. Phone Post
9/29/12 4:43 PM
crescentwrench
405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So they all died in the plane crash and were waiting to get into heaven the whole time? Phone Post
9/30/12 12:14 PM
SamboMMA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

paw - 

The folks at Comicosity have constructed a timeline of the DCU - with help from DC creators.  You can check it out at:

http://www.comicosity.com/read-between-the-lines-history-of-the-dc-universe-3-0/

There's also an *Asterisk of Editorial Shame for items that cannot fit or cannot be true (which includes notes from Rob Liefeld, of course).  For example,

There are several inconsistencies in Deathstroke’s history between Team 7 #0, Deathstroke #9, #0 and Resurrection Man #5, #0 — including his costume and loyalties. Deathstroke #0 places Team 7 forming approximately 15 years too early. (I tweeted with Rob Liefeld in relation to the inconsistency in Deathstroke. His response was “not my concern …coordinate that with DC editorial please.” with the follow-up comment “I was given deliberate marks and direction by the Team 7 editorial to hit in my story and I did.”)

Comicosity are going to be pissed when DC chucks their timeline out the window again.
9/30/12 3:23 PM
The Elastic Assassin
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Superman acquires his indestructible suit.

uhhhhh...wat?..
10/1/12 11:07 AM
BigWilliam
418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I was wondering about that one myself. I cannot even read through that mess before I start to fall asleep.
10/1/12 12:07 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DC continuity seems to be caught in a funny cycle that goes something like this:

continuity is too complicated > reboot >parts of old continuity seep into rebooted universe >continuity is too complicated

It seems like the people in charge at dc can never really decide what they want to wipe and what they want to keep and they don't do a great job of keeping the writers up to date on this. This causes them to get caught in the cycle described above. I believe this cycle drives away fans because it's hard to figure out the status of your favorite characters.

The funny thing is that I think DC does a great job with products where the importance of continuity is minimized such as the DC animated universe.
10/1/12 12:40 PM
paw

Grist for the mill

From http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/29/dcs-new-52-poll-dcs-new-52-facebook-poll-backfires-just-a-bit-just-a-bit/

UPDATE: Half an hour after posting the piece, after a day of delaying it because MorrisonCon kept getting in the way, DC Comics withdrew the poll from their Facebook page. It can still be accessed here though.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.