UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Lifting weights for 12 year old?

10/1/12 9:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
alley
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Rippetoe has some info on this in his book "Starting Strength". He says the scientific studies (which are cited) conclude that weightlifting is safe and effective even for prepubescent kids.

Rippetoe's routine might get worthwhile for your son. It's basic, with a focus on a very limited number of compound movements to build full body strength and bulk.
10/2/12 3:38 AM
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

scientific studies (which are cited) conclude that weightlifting is safe and effective for young children? Lol I would like to read these studies. How many young children were used in these studies? What ages were the children? Look the thing here is not only starting weight training for the kid but is the want to bulk a 12 year up???? :-@ come on we all know how much is involved to bulk up , training diet ect ect at 12 years old the kid is running round everywhere and will be fit and healthily does he really need to be bulked up to play games at 12?
Use the natural gifts he will have ie speed agility ect see how he gets on then if he does struggle maybe include some light weights under good form with a good stretching routine . IMO weight training shouldn't be done until around 16. This is because for me the child is still growing to add bulk mass around a growing boys body Could cause problems IMHO . Good luck with your boy what ever you choose . Phone Post
10/2/12 3:43 AM
Leigh
959 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started lifting at 20 and grew another inch taller. So if we're still growing at 20, maybe he should wait til then. And maybe I would have grown 3 inches if I had waited until I was 25.

Curse you, weight training! Phone Post
10/2/12 3:56 AM
Spartan79

Leigh - I started lifting at 20 and grew another inch taller. So if we're still growing at 20, maybe he should wait til then. And maybe I would have grown 3 inches if I had waited until I was 25.

Curse you, weight training! Phone Post
Your just being stupid now. Do you think a boy of 12 will only grow a inch in 4 years .
You think it's good to bulk up a 12 year old ! Yeah fuck it let's bulk him up stick in his head that he needs to be bigger to even compete in schoolboy games. Start him on protein , creatine and maybe once he obsessed that bigger is better hell be on the gear by 16 . Normally your posts make sense but trying to tell me that BULKING UP a 12 year old is a good idea ? Well enough said . Then you add that you started in your 20 s LOL! Phone Post
10/2/12 4:00 AM
Spartan79

This is for Pee wee football !!!!!!!!!!! Phone Post
10/2/12 8:12 AM
Leigh
959 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 8:14 AM
My posts still make sense. I cannot say the same for yours. You have no reason AT ALL for him to not lift weights and start making sarcastic posts about using steroids as a teenager. You're just being a fascist - someone is doing something that you don't like, so you are against it.

If the kid wants to bulk up, why shouldn't he? Being a small kid playing a contact sport is no fun and your advice about doing bodyweight exercises is laughable compared to his goals. What is your point about it being for peewee football? Are you saying its not important enough to train for? Who are to make that decision for him? This isn't a moral discussion, its a training one, because there is no moral issue.
10/2/12 9:09 AM
Spartan79

So he wouldn't be able to build strength from bodyweight exercises ? Dosnt need bulk. I have no problem with the game but he is just starting out . How about you at least see how the CHILD gets on before you put him on a bulking program at 12 years old . I have trained 16 year olds in weight training with no problems . So can speak from experience . I also train kids in Boxing from 7 to 15 they don't do weights and improve their strength with bodyweight exercises. Do they benefit from these exercises yes and again have had no problems. How many 12 year olds have you not only trained but bulked up with no problems. ESP as you didn't start untill in your 20s lol I have already gave my reasons why go to speck savers and reread. Phone Post
10/2/12 9:16 AM
Spartan79

No one said don't train for pee wee , Dick head ! again speck savers! Trainings fine but bulking up at 12 ! When he's only starting !!! Lol yeah bulk him . As I said feed him as much as you can shovel in the protein, and creatine , add heavy compound lifts three times a week on top of his active 12 year old life . How much bulk are you planning to add to this child ? Lol good luck to you! Phone Post
10/2/12 9:41 AM
jeremy hamilton
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Spartan79 -  So he wouldn't be able to build strength from bodyweight exercises ? Dosnt need bulk. I have no problem with the game but he is just starting out . How about you at least see how the CHILD gets on before you put him on a bulking program at 12 years old . I have trained 16 year olds in weight training with no problems . So can speak from experience . I also train kids in Boxing from 7 to 15 they don't do weights and improve their strength with bodyweight exercises. Do they benefit from these exercises yes and again have had no problems. How many 12 year olds have you not only trained but bulked up with no problems. ESP as you didn't start untill in your 20s lol I have already gave my reasons why go to speck savers and reread. Phone Post

You really see that much of a difference between lifting weights and the strain of wailing on a heavy bag?

10/2/12 11:13 AM
Spartan79

jeremy hamilton -
Spartan79 -  So he wouldn't be able to build strength from bodyweight exercises ? Dosnt need bulk. I have no problem with the game but he is just starting out . How about you at least see how the CHILD gets on before you put him on a bulking program at 12 years old . I have trained 16 year olds in weight training with no problems . So can speak from experience . I also train kids in Boxing from 7 to 15 they don't do weights and improve their strength with bodyweight exercises. Do they benefit from these exercises yes and again have had no problems. How many 12 year olds have you not only trained but bulked up with no problems. ESP as you didn't start untill in your 20s lol I have already gave my reasons why go to speck savers and reread. Phone Post

You really see that much of a difference between lifting weights and the strain of wailing on a heavy bag?

Do you allow kids to just wail away on a heavy bag? Not In our gym. Young kids start with a skip or just a run around then it's mirror work or (shadow boxing) then maybe some partner/technique work. Then onto Boxing based games in the ring ie catch the rag of the other boy using footwork ,things like this then maybe some pad and light bag work . There is also two types of bags . Adults and kids . No wailing away on heavy bag . So what's your point?
If kids Box they should also be able to bulk up with heavy compond lifts???? Yeah nice one smart arse Phone Post
10/2/12 11:21 AM
jeremy hamilton
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well first of all a 12 year old is not going to "bulk". It takes many many many years to put on enough size to look bulky.

I also find it funny that it's cool for you to have kids being punched in the head repeatedly but not exercise with weights.

One will add strength, the other has been scientifically proven to actually injur the brain.

So far you haven't made any good arguements against weight training.
10/2/12 11:47 AM
Spartan79

jeremy hamilton - Well first of all a 12 year old is not going to "bulk". It takes many many many years to put on enough size to look bulky.

I also find it funny that it's cool for you to have kids being punched in the head repeatedly but not exercise with weights.

One will add strength, the other has been scientifically proven to actually injur the brain.

So far you haven't made any good arguements against weight training.
Omg where the fuck do these people come from. I know what it takes to Bulk that is my point you flid! They want to bulk up the child not just have him weight train bulk up!!! Read the posts. Kids getting their faces smashed in.? ?? Just from your last two post I know you have no clue on kids boxing. I'm not even going to break down to you what is involved to have a kid start sparing or the time involved . Some kids never do. In fact most don't . Go to you nearest boxing club and see what goes on instead of just chating shit out of your arse when you have nooooo clue! Phone Post
10/2/12 12:09 PM
Leigh

Spartan79 -  No one said don't train for pee wee , Dick head ! again speck savers! Trainings fine but bulking up at 12 ! When he's only starting !!! Lol yeah bulk him . As I said feed him as much as you can shovel in the protein, and creatine , add heavy compound lifts three times a week on top of his active 12 year old life . How much bulk are you planning to add to this child ? Lol good luck to you! Phone Post

Regarding your spec savers comment, I didn't make a statement, I asked a question. Unlike you, I shall vocabularise my opinion and suggest you work on your reading comprehension. To address you in the same manner, no one has mentioned steroids or creatine or heavy lifting except you, dick head flid speck savers.

Your posts are a joke, as are you. You have no argument against the kid trying to build muscle and are just ranting emotionally. Maybe you should move to the Middle East if you want to inhibit people's freedoms.
10/2/12 12:16 PM
dizz
643 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cruize - every friend i have that started out doing weight at 12-14 years old is short. under 5'5. they started out doing light weights, by the time they hit 16-17 years old they were squating +300lbs and benching +250lbs.

My dad started me lifting consistently when I was 12. I'm 6'5. Methinks your anecdotal study is invalid.

10/2/12 12:50 PM
icedog11
78 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gladiator Mouthguards, president/principle

my son started with a personal trainer when he was 12 to learn olympic lifts he's 6'0, at 17 his bench was well beyind 250.

10/2/12 12:55 PM
Spartan79

Leigh -
Spartan79 -  No one said don't train for pee wee , Dick head ! again speck savers! Trainings fine but bulking up at 12 ! When he's only starting !!! Lol yeah bulk him . As I said feed him as much as you can shovel in the protein, and creatine , add heavy compound lifts three times a week on top of his active 12 year old life . How much bulk are you planning to add to this child ? Lol good luck to you! Phone Post

Regarding your spec savers comment, I didn't make a statement, I asked a question. Unlike you, I shall vocabularise my opinion and suggest you work on your reading comprehension. To address you in the same manner, no one has mentioned steroids or creatine or heavy lifting except you, dick head flid speck savers.

Your posts are a joke, as are you. You have no argument against the kid trying to build muscle and are just ranting emotionally. Maybe you should move to the Middle East if you want to inhibit people's freedoms.
Can you prove this argument either way without a dout no . Is it worth bulking for the task IMO no . Have you ever bulked up a 12 year old??? If not how and why would you say it's fine???? I will say again why I would not like to as you didnt get it the last few times I said it.
Due to the child no being fully mature phisicly or anywhere near . So the Bulk you wish to add may cause his rapid growing body problems . No need to break this down any more than that if you have half a clue. Why not just wait untill he is nearing physical maturity .
I am fine and very unemotional thanks . I would not want to advise someone to do something I have never done and am just guessing at. ESP if it involes kids ;-) Phone Post
10/2/12 12:57 PM
Spartan79

So again how many kids have you trained and BULKED up and how much did you BULK them?????????????? Phone Post
10/2/12 1:05 PM
Leigh

A list of other things I have never done but would have no problems with:

1) Visit Australia
2) Teach a 12 year old to swim
3) Shag your mum

But to address your direct question, yes I have bulked up a 12 year old - me. I gained a few pounds from the age of 12 to 13, like most people. I got a bit stronger too, cos I was active. There were no side effects or drawbacks to me getting bigger and stronger as a 12 year old because ITS A NORMAL PROCESS. Children are SUPPOSED to get bigger and stronger. They are designed for it. All you're arguing against is the degree of resistance, muscle and strength growth and then making wild strawman statements about steroids and heavy compound lifts.

Let me take a guess - D in maths GCSE?
10/2/12 1:15 PM
Spartan79

Nice one on the mum joke never heard that before . You bulked your self up but in a earlier post you didn't start weights until in your 20s lol
We both no what was meant by bulked up.
Carry on telling people to do things you have no clue or experience on little man ;-) Phone Post
10/2/12 9:55 PM
Chocolate Shatner
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At 12, I was already lifting, and no, not "bulking up." However, as I was in middle school, I was also playing against people that were larger as well. Call them Children Of Unusual Size (COUS's). And I was 90 kilograms at the time.

The disconnect here happens because of the name "Pee Wee" in Pee Wee Football. The thing is, the name doesn't mean shit. Just like how in junior hockey PeeWee is 11-12, Bantams are 13-14, and you can have Midgets that are 16 or 18 (and few of them named Bridget). Now, I know a lot of so-called "Bantams" that are the size of full-grown fucking men.

Also, LOL at the tremendous amount of focus on "bulking up." When looked at from a bodybuilder or powerlifter standpoint, sure, a 12 year old doesn't need that (ie, putting on 40-50 pounds in as quick a time as possible). For your average kid or parent talking about it, you're talking 10-15 pounds at most.
10/2/12 11:04 PM
GSDFan

Guys, I didn't want this to turn into a flame war over the word bulk. If I used that improperly, allow me to take it back. As I said, my son is very athletic, but he is undersized for PeeWee. He barely made the 70 pound weight limit and he's competing, at times, against kids that weigh 120. He's undersized and it shows.

Seems like a strength training program would benefit him so that was the core of my question. I like squats and deadlifts and he wants to do them since he sees me doing it. Seems like it's never too early to learn good form, especially since he'll eventually start lifting around teammates and having good form ingrained in him from an early age seems like a good thing.

I'm not going to be giving him creatine for heaven's sakes!
10/2/12 11:23 PM
MattB ATC
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GSDFan,

No need to apologize. You never once used the word bulk in your previous posts. To directly quote your first post you stated:
"My son is 12 and, although very athletic, is also very small. He's starting Pee Wee football and I'd like to get him putting on some muscle and strength as right now he is just simply too small to be very effective."

Spartan started his argument stating his opposition to weight training, and then his focused changed to "bulk", which I am assuming he did after he realized that his argument against a youth weight training was lacking.

I will say that it is possible to get stronger without adding size, but the protective qualities of additional hypertrophy/muscle mass are very beneficial for football players, even at a young age. No need to forcefully try to add on too much mass too quickly, which from your last post you aren't trying to force. But if he easily adds on weight/size, don't be alarmed as at that young age growth spurts can be common and the weight training will only supplement the natural growing that is occurring.
10/2/12 11:33 PM
Squatdog

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 12-year old doing basic weight-training, provided they're taught correctly and don't go crazy with it.

I know one guy who started casually training Olympic Lifting at 12 and by 14 he was Cleaning 110kg@65kg. He's currently 105kg and 6'3, with a 180kg Clean.

I personally used to curl a 5kg bar of lead for 20 reps when I was 11 and noticed a definite increase in strength. I also used to lick it every night before going to bed, is that bad?
10/3/12 12:18 AM
Chocolate Shatner
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

depends on where you put the bar after you licked it.
10/3/12 2:44 AM
Squatdog

Back on the shelf?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.