UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Anyone interested in following my fitness goals?

9/29/12 8:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LordSeano
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought I'd post this as I find others threads on here pretty interesting - pros and non-pros.

[Apologies for the FRAT]

Its inspired by my repeated aborted attempts to try and get back in shape so I figured if I got in the habit of tracking progress week to week more diligently, it might force me to actually get my arse in gear.

If people are interested I'll post back in here on a regular weekly basis with an overview of diet and training by day of the previous week so people can cheer/lambast me depending on how lazy I have been.

Background:

No real sporting background other than university level rugby and social sports (aussie rules football) post university.

Various stints of boxing, muay thai, BJJ and mma on and off at various clubs since 1996, but nothing really for 3-4 years or so. 2 or 3 aborted attempts at fighting competitively in boxing and BJJ that were derailed with nasty injuries/going overseas with work.

Always fannied about in the gym with weights with no real structure until reading up on here of all places.

6ft 2, prob between 210-220lbs right now, not ripped, not fat.

So just average casual trainer really.

So here's the goals:

Deadlift 180kgs/400lbs

Bench 120kgs/265lbs

Squat 150kgs/330lbs

30 chins with decent form

30 dips

Visible six pack.

I've no idea where I am against those (with the exception of the six pack which is fucking miles off) as I havent trained for a month or so but I am going to go to the gym this afternoon and do a stock check as a starting point. I also don't have a timeline in my head (though I'd like to do it within 12 mths). Then once I hit a target i'll set a new one....

Thoughts?
9/29/12 10:48 AM
Leigh
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

strength goals shouldn't be a problem. 30 chins is disproportionately high compared to the other lifts at 15 stone Phone Post
9/29/12 11:40 AM
shadallion
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lets go with 15 pull-ups Phone Post
9/29/12 12:06 PM
LordSeano
199 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So back from the gym......

Weight 221

I figured I would just set a marker for where I am with the chins, deadlift and bench today.

Ill do squats and dips in a couple of days when I go again.

I felt really weak and low on energy when I went in and could only manage 7 chins before the form went so your probably right about the chins so lets go with 20 for that target.

I thought the deadlift and bench would be atrocious after tha chins but I managed to get 150kgs on the deadlift and 100kgs on the bench (which helpfully gives me a 20% increase target in both) so better than I thought I'd be having just pigged out for a month.
9/29/12 12:08 PM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good luck on your endeavors!! hope you reach your goals,ease back into it.

9/29/12 1:19 PM
Badmonkey
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm interested; i'd also like to know what you're eating...
9/29/12 1:59 PM
reagan123
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

S Phone Post
9/29/12 6:10 PM
LordSeano

Badmonkey - I'm interested; i'd also like to know what you're eating...

Well part of the inspiration for this to take it seriously is diet as I am lactose intolerant and generally pretty slack in adhering to a non-dairy diet.

I have been working in Brittany all week and eating out lunch and dinner with VERY rich meals and on the last day it hit back and stomach was in absolute bits.

I'm going back to 100% dairy free which makes it easy to maintain a (reasonably) healthy diet and also not destroy my guts (and my mrs' nostrils).

As a result I probably wont eat super healthy and structure my diet plan but just avoid dairy

e.g for today I had....

bowl of Dorset Cereals Meusli with lacto-free milk, shared a banana with my kid, another banana a bit later.

10 grilled wings (nando's extra hot baby) with humus for lunch

gym

post gym - a nectarine and plate of some spicy sausage rice i made last night (rice, decent quality sausages, tomatoes, parsley, onions, garlic, stock, glass of wine, peppers)

dinner - half rack of ribs (home made rub) with some mash potatoes (just lacto free milk and a bit of mayo used to make it

couple of bottles of beer with dinner.

I'll post again after I go to the gym and see where I am with squats but then Ill post once a week with a summary of progress.
10/3/12 10:40 AM
JFC1001
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your diet is terrible. You need to understand that 80% of your success will come from your diet. Reign that in first. Phone Post
10/4/12 5:14 PM
LordSeano

Realise that unfortunately - although that day was not really representative of what I eat normally (when I'm training). Since the weekend I've been eating mainly fruit veg and chicken. That was a typical weekend though

My big problem is time - I havent been to the gym to set my squat max as I have been in the office working till midnight every night this week.

I may have some more free time as of tomorrow though...

Plan is to start 531 once I have an idea of my max
10/8/12 3:15 PM
LordSeano

So finally got back to the gym today. Last week was a write off with work however I handed in my notice on friday and got put on three months garden leave so will have free time every day to train now!

So my starting point are

Squat - 120 (150)
Deadlift - 150 (180)
Bench - 100 (120)

and seeing as I will be able to train 4 days a week now

Press - 62.5 (80)

I'm going to start 5/3/1 doing the boring but Big template with a 4 day per week schedule as of tomorrow so I'll be able to post regular updates on the training progress hopefully.

In between that I'm going to swim once a week and probably walk each day for an hr or so with a 15kg weight on my neck (my kid)
10/8/12 3:27 PM
Leigh
770 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you'll hit deadlift first
10/8/12 5:48 PM
acamp76144
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting post... Phone Post
10/10/12 8:15 PM
timessquare
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good luck.

10/14/12 3:03 PM
LordSeano

So first week of 5/3/1 finished.

I have managed to train every other day since being on garden leave which is a treat. If I can keep it up I will have three solid cycles of 5/3/1 by the time I have to go back to work.

I'll post the results of the 'balls to the wall' work set (the third work set) for each exercise rather than the full workout in detail. Its the standard boring but big template so I'll post more details if people are interested.

I figure that will allow you to follow progress each week without trawling through the whole routine.

Also my weights has hovered around 218-219lbs

So..... (weights in lbs)

Press - 5 x 47.5kg(105)
Deadlift - 9 x 115kg (255)
Bench - 5 x 77.5kg (171)
Squat - 11 x 92.5kg (204)

I guess the interesting thing was on the third work set of the lower body exercises I was able to get much more reps out than the pressing exercises.

This isn't surprising to me as my elbows and shoulders are fairly wrecked from injuries and feel pretty weak. I didn't have a spotter for the bench and felt I could have maybe got 2 more reps but when my arms go they really go because of my elbow so didnt risk it.

Anyway the weights are nothing special and it feels really odd working with the light weights but hopefully I'll start seeing some progress as I go through the next few weeks.

Diet has been so, so - I generally have meusli, eggs and sardines with fruit spread over the morning, a chicken/turkey salad sandwich around lunch and then a decent size balanced meal in the evening (meat, veg etc). I'll throw a couple of protein shakes in there next week as well.

10/22/12 9:51 AM
LordSeano

Second week of 5/3/1 finished today.....

I guess my main takeaway this week was the point Wendler makes about setting mini-goals and PBs on each exercise using his formula; so based on what I hit in the first week I knew what I needed to lift in each final work set in order to beat what I lifted the previous week.

I found that was a good motivator for the final worksets.

So here are the results from this week with the target reps in square brackets [ ]:

Press - 6 x 50kg(110lbs) [4 reps]
Deadlift - 8 x 122.5kg (270lbs) [7 reps]
Bench - 5 x 80kg (176lbs) [4 reps]
Squat - 11 x 97.5kg (215lbs) [9 reps]

I actually hit 6 reps on the bench but kind of cheated on the 5th by not coming all the way to my chest so didnt count it.

Reasonably happy as I made progress on each lift as per wendler's theoretical 1RM formula so hopefully it isnt just a week two effect.

Starting to notice a physical difference as well. I'm not specifically looking to lose fat just yet, but I appear to be based on the mirror.

I downloaded a cool app called Zombies, Run! as I hate running as well. I havent run yet but I will as this is a game that you start when you go for a run and it makes you run intervals based around a zombie apocalypse scenario game through the earphones. It seems awesome so far
10/31/12 7:41 AM
LordSeano

Third week finished today and managed to hit or exceed all my target reps to ensure I increased my PB's on each lift (using the theoretical 1RM calculation). Glad I did as I was hoping it wasn't just a first week bump that made me have a good first week.

I was watching a lot of the elite FTS technique vids on youtube this week which i found very helpful - particularly the 5 part squat video and the brian carrol deadlift one.

Definitely noticing a difference in how I look which is good - weight is still hovering around 220-222.

These were the numbers this week:

Press - 4 x 52.5kg(116lbs)
Deadlift - 8 x 127.5kg (281lbs)
Bench - 5 x 85kg (187lbs)
Squat - 9 x 102.5kg (226lbs)

I guess whats interesting is if you compare my 'theoretical 1RM' on each lift using the calculation with what I actually lifted to set the program numbers up (theoretical is in [ ]).

Press - 62.5kg vs [60kgs]
Deadlift - 150kgs vs [162kgs]
Bench - 100kgs vs [100kgs]
Squat - 120kgs vs [133kgs]

Bench and Press are the same or slightly under. Arguably you could say I havent made progress but I know I have, as I made progress in the 'theoretical' performance from week 1-3. I think this is a function of my arm and shoulder injuries which mean they tire out much faster. I think if I were to attempt a real 1RM in both I would beat my original numbers.

Squat and deadlift numbers from the theoretical calculation are a decent amount higher. My legs have always been much more responsive to training than my upper body. I really enjoy the squat/DL day though as well which maybe helps but I find I can really push those lifts more.

Anyway - let me know if you want me to keep posting results, otherwise I'll ease off and maybe just post results st the end for anyone who is interested.
11/12/12 9:57 AM
LordSeano

OK so I have just finished week one of the second cycle.

I put up all my weights on my 1rm base as per the e-book; 5kg on lower body, 2.5kg on upper body and started again.

I was pretty run down with a cold this week but trained through it and was interested to see my performance didnt take too much of a hit.

I'll post the balls to the wall set results again but will compare them to my results from week one cycle 1 so you can see the progress over one full cycle.

Press:

Cycle 1 - 5x 47.5kgs (105 lbs)
Cycle 2 - 5x 50kgs (110 lbs)

Deadlift:

Cycle 1 - 9x 115kgs (253 lbs)
Cycle 2 - 12x 117.5kgs (259 lbs)

Bench:

Cycle 1 - 5x 77.5kgs (171 lbs)
Cycle 2 - 10x 77.5kgs (171 lbs)

[weight was the same as I round to the nearest 2.5kgs and it was just a function of the percentages in both cycles rounding to 77.5kgs]

Squat:

Cycle 1 - 11x 92.5kgs (204 lbs)
Cycle 2 - 14x 95kgs (209 lbs)

Overall Im pretty happy. I would have liked more progress in the Press but my shoulder problem is always going to make that difficult. Very happy with the measurable progress in everything else, especially carrying a cold.

12/17/12 1:03 PM
LordSeano

Thought I'd do a quick pre-xmas update for anyone that might be interested.

I just finished the third cycle today and have continued to get decent results.

I'll post the PBs I have hit and what they translate to in theoretical 1RM using Wendler's formula vs my starting 1RM in cycle 1

All Pbs were set of the third week of cycle 3 except Press which was in week two of cycle 3

Press - 9x55. Theoretical 1RM of 71.5kgs vs original 1RM of 62.5kgs

Deadlift - 8x137.5. 174kgs(Th. 1RM) vs 150kgs (Or. 1RM)

Bench - 9x90kgs. 117kgs(Th. 1RM) vs 100kgs(Or. 1RM)

Squat - 9x112.5kgs. 146kgs(Th. 1RM) vs 120kgs(Or. 1RM)

Overall I am pleased with progress so far. On the face of it I am now doing sets of 8-9 with 90%+ of my original 1RMs. My shoulder is still giving me a bit of trouble but not as bad as I had feared.

My original targets were 80/180/120/150kgs for the four lifts and by the calculation I am not that far off. I realise its imperfect (the calculation) but once I am comfortably over my targets using the calculation, I will have a stab at hitting actual max lifts for each exercise and see how I do.

In terms of weight etc I was 228lbs today and visibly leaner than when I started.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.