UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Shawn Lane. Some Music on Shawn Lane.

9/29/12 9:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/29/12 10:35 PM

First off, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGeqfmzGuU

And just a few words, too. Because I'm like that with words. SO...
Second, a shout out to forum bro Moke who let me know the name (on the OG... something like 15 years ago..)... And then, after gathering hours and hours of music and hipping forum bro Relayer to it, a shout to Relayer for culling through it and finding this recording, and getting me in a receptive state of mind to know it. And to youtube and whoever posted this there. That said, there have been miles of lines of ink spilled over Shawn from his cult, and pixels burned through on computers, and if you've clicked on this thread, you probably have read too many words already. But I hope you have a good sound card or a good external DAC, and some good speakers or headphones, if you haven't heard this before. And I hope you have patience, because this is not a quick tune with rhyming vocals. Take 15 minutes out of your day when you really have 15 minutes. And turn the music up.

That is all for the moment.
9/30/12 5:35 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never heard that one before, great stuff, really nice, thanks.

I wish moke would post more, he's a monster player and knows a hell of a lot about guitar and music.
9/30/12 10:35 AM
Ali
784 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/30/12 10:36 AM
I really liked what he played on that Johansson/"Fission" clip you posted. And was reminded of the above -- and surprised to find it on youtube. I didn't want to say too much because comparing players, qulifying what I like and don't like, etc, while fun and important as a "consumer" for how to spend money and time to listen, just sort of takes away from the experience when faced with something that's just... undeniable. Or as Hugo says, "you can't defend".

That performance was the last piece played of the last live concert Shawn Lane ever did. He says "... see you soon!" when it's over. And it's just... well, it sucks.

The drummer, Jim Britt, was a guy from one of the prior bands that played at this festival. First time Hellborg and Lane ever played with him. And there are some issues with the recording. So there are ways it might have been technically better. Still, it is just the single thing that's moved me most of Lane's. In the way music is supposed to, y'know?

The tune is called "Aga of the Ladies". On the official release (which was also a live record) it is really pretty boring, and mixed with the guitar almost buried.
10/1/12 3:21 PM
hugomma
1058 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT for later, & thanks guys.  Already VTFU up Ali this am, time to hit Jimmy up.  And then do it all again tomorrow, cause you guys RULE.

10/2/12 12:59 AM
hugomma
1058 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - First off, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGeqfmzGuU

And just a few words, too. Because I'm like that with words. SO...
Second, a shout out to forum bro Moke who let me know the name (on the OG... something like 15 years ago..)... And then, after gathering hours and hours of music and hipping forum bro Relayer to it, a shout to Relayer for culling through it and finding this recording, and getting me in a receptive state of mind to know it. And to youtube and whoever posted this there. That said, there have been miles of lines of ink spilled over Shawn from his cult, and pixels burned through on computers, and if you've clicked on this thread, you probably have read too many words already. But I hope you have a good sound card or a good external DAC, and some good speakers or headphones, if you haven't heard this before. And I hope you have patience, because this is not a quick tune with rhyming vocals. Take 15 minutes out of your day when you really have 15 minutes. And turn the music up.

That is all for the moment.

Posted this on the Stern thread, but worth repeating.  Just listened to Lane's "Aga of the Ladies".  Wow - moving is right.  9:30 into it, & it reminds me of somewhere between MacLaughin's more interesting Indian influenced stuff, & in a weird way, Frisell. 

Just over the 10 min mark and the distortion is on, but he's more restrained than I'm used to hearing.  Not the hyper fast video game on acid sound, but beautiful, transcendental melodies and ideas.  This is beyond face-melting.  This is that kind of Trane/Diz/electric Miles thing that I'm talking about: beyond notes, licks, etc...just pure transcendence.

THIS is the direction Lane was going in?  Did he know on some level this was it?  It's heartbreaking to think he died right after this performance.  RIP Shawn Lane.  And once again, thank you Ali.    

10/2/12 2:34 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/02/12 2:35 AM
I don't know if that was the direction he was going in... I've heard the whole set, and it's just another great show, like lots of others, until the last tune. My thought is there are probably several shows where he did something that amazing that we will never get to hear. So I don't know. But I suspect it was more a great moment than a direction.

Knowing it was the end? Also, who knows. But I'm skeptical. Listen to him talking to the audience at the end. That doesn't sound like someone who knew he was saying goodbye.

The guy had horrible arthritis in his hips and legs, was is pain, was pumped full of anti-inflammatories (steroids) his whole life, gained untenable amounts of weight due to these medications; was in big pain and a cigarette addict... I think he just didn't have a way to keep his health together. But I don't think he saw it coming. He did appear on a couple of records for a track or two afterwards, too.

But yeah, you gotta wonder. Last tune of last live show was that piece of transcendence.
10/2/12 3:22 AM
jman
588 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 3:30 AM
It's scary how good Shawn Lane was at the piano as well:

I remember reading that Shawn Lane said that he thought he and Art Tatum had something different with their nervous system that made playing so fast so natural (or something like that).

Supposedly Shawn Lane was influence by Georges Cziffra, but I never actually heard Lane say this:

10/2/12 10:33 AM
hugomma

Ali - I don't know if that was the direction he was going in... I've heard the whole set, and it's just another great show, like lots of others, until the last tune. My thought is there are probably several shows where he did something that amazing that we will never get to hear. So I don't know. But I suspect it was more a great moment than a direction.

Knowing it was the end? Also, who knows. But I'm skeptical. Listen to him talking to the audience at the end. That doesn't sound like someone who knew he was saying goodbye.

The guy had horrible arthritis in his hips and legs, was is pain, was pumped full of anti-inflammatories (steroids) his whole life, gained untenable amounts of weight due to these medications; was in big pain and a cigarette addict... I think he just didn't have a way to keep his health together. But I don't think he saw it coming. He did appear on a couple of records for a track or two afterwards, too.

But yeah, you gotta wonder. Last tune of last live show was that piece of transcendence.

Yeah, that makes sense.  I gueuss I'm just not used to hearing that kind of thing from Shawn Lane and was trying to make it into this magical, mystical, esoteric...whatever.  And you're right, 'see you soon' isn't the same as 'farewell'.

Looking forward to the other clips.  I've never heard Georges Cziffra before, I I still need to listen to this Ben Monder mutherfucker.

Oh, & if you guys want to stop by, I posted some stuff on an OG thread titled "Did black people like Jimmy Hendrix in the 60's?"

10/2/12 10:51 AM
Ali

Cziffra did a ridiculously stupendous "William Tell Overture" that just makes me laugh my butt off. And he was a great Liszt player for sure.

I have to go to work... haven't gotten to the Shawn piano stuff here. Later I will!
10/2/12 11:20 AM
jman

Edited: 10/02/12 11:21 AM
Not to get too off topic, but Cziffra's "Flight of the Bumblebee" is well...let me just use the top YouTube comment to describe it:

Lol, even Chuck Norris would be? impressed.

10/2/12 11:40 AM
Ali

Holy F#$@!
10/3/12 1:52 AM
Ali

This could go on a couple different threads. I'll put it here. Shawn Lane does a Mike Stern tune. The same Mike Stern tune as the video of Stern with Michael Brecker on the Stern thread. It's the title track of Stern's first album, Upside Downside.

10/3/12 6:11 AM
jman

Is there another black and white video of Lane playing a Stern song? Basically an Am to E7 vamp...I still don't know the name of the song or who wrote it...but it's from one of those shows in a bar from way back when.

My favorite Shawn Lane piece "Not Again":

10/3/12 7:36 AM
jman

Edited: 10/03/12 7:49 AM
These two are classics:

10/3/12 10:24 AM
Ali

I don't know what Am to E7 vamp cover is. I'd be curious to hear!

I like hearing his approach to some of these. "Upside Downside" I posted as much for the Stern thread as this one, just had to pick!
10/14/12 12:29 AM
Majic Sam
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I miss the man.He and Jonas were really going places.What a huge drag.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.