UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> White: Mitrione turned down Cormier, makes me sick

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
9/29/12 10:49 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1407 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Cormier (10-0 MMA, 7-0 SF) was scheduled to fight former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir (16-6 MMA, 14-6 UFC) in about a month in Oklahoma City. But Mir dropped out with an injury, and White and the Zuffa brass went to work on his replacement.

White thought it was going to be Matt Mitrione (5-1 MMA, 5-1 UFC) – but the UFC heavyweight turned down the fight earlier this week.

"It f---ing makes me sick," White told MMAjunkie.com on Saturday following the UFC on FUEL TV 5 post-fight news conference. "Listen, you don't want big opportunities, I hear you. I get it, then. All I can say is, I guess he doesn't want big opportunities. I get it. Duly noted.

"He wants to fight a guy who weighs 205, but doesn't want to fight the guy who's the real heavyweight, the legitimate guy who's ranked. And Mitrione's not getting any younger."

"F---in' insane," White said. "It makes no sense to me, and it's insane. I'm a little bummed out by it. We'll figure it out. Yeah, (he's already got a fight booked). He said, 'I'll just take that one.'"

White told MMAjunkie.com that Cormier agreeing to fight Mitrione wasn't any kind of an issue.

"Cormier will fight anybody," White said. "The guys who are the real guys fight anybody, man. They'll fight anybody."

read entire article...

9/29/12 10:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Bisping_GMWOAT
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/29/12 10:51 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting, isn't Mitrione calling out Rampage?  And he's a Blackzilian, why not take this fight??? Maybe he thought he wasn't ready?

9/29/12 10:52 PM
Neil Funk
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd like to see Dana take a fight
9/29/12 10:52 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
4313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen -

Interesting, isn't Mitrione calling out Rampage?  And he's a Blackzilian, why not take this fight??? Maybe he thought he wasn't ready?

He was a Scuuurd Phone Post
9/29/12 10:54 PM
i remember halloween

Neil Funk - I'd like to see Dana take a fight

VTFD.  Stupid comment.  Dana is a promoter, not a fighter.

9/29/12 10:58 PM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_El Pescadero - 
mmavixen -

Pescy,

Voted up because I've missed you and I like the way you spelled scared.

9/29/12 10:58 PM
GeoDim
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can't get mad at anyone for not wanting to take a short-notice fight against an Olympic wrestler with heavy hands, for a minor league organization. He has a LOT to lose here. And even if he somehow won, no one would see it.

Maybe they shouldn't have made this retarded deal with Showtime in the first place. Phone Post
9/29/12 10:59 PM
da Vinci 81
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If he's already got a fight booked why would he switch it? Cormier may be highly ranked but he's not a big name at all, and bypassing a fight in the UFC for one in Strikeforce makes no sense to begin with.
9/29/12 11:00 PM
UGCTT_buchu8oolong
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would anyone have been happy if this was put together? Phone Post
9/29/12 11:01 PM
war wand
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cormier would have slaughtered meathead real quick like
9/29/12 11:02 PM
Mihow
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shoulda offered Anderson Silva money
9/29/12 11:03 PM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
246 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only prob I have with this is Mitrione went on record saying he's always asking for fights because he needs that paycheck, and then he wants to be picky and pass an opportunity that will for sure pay him well?

Beggars can't be choosers. Phone Post
StruggleSnuggles
130 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

da Vinci 81 - If he's already got a fight booked why would he switch it? Cormier may be highly ranked but he's not a big name at all, and bypassing a fight in the UFC for one in Strikeforce makes no sense to begin with.
I'm sure Zuffa would of made it worthwhile to his bank account to accept the fight... And if you think they couldn't hype a win over DC then I guess you haven't been watching MMA very long. Phone Post
gabemadrid
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mitrione beating Cormier gets him ranked higher and closer to a title shot. He may realize he's not ready for that upper level of MMA yet. Phone Post
9/29/12 11:04 PM
Neil Funk

i remember halloween - 

your mother's a cunt
9/29/12 11:05 PM
ShanTheMan
1127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes it is smart to say no. Not like he is costing them a ton of money by not doing it, ala jones. Not blaming jones, just a different situation.
9/29/12 11:07 PM
Chicagos own peeping Tom
469 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe mccorkle can shed some light on meatheads reasoning Phone Post
9/29/12 11:07 PM
Augie Max
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMARoundup.com

On the MMA Hour he said he wanted a sooner fight to pay bills, I guess just not this one.

9/29/12 11:08 PM
epic hero

Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye -  Only prob I have with this is Mitrione went on record saying he's always asking for fights because he needs that paycheck, and then he wants to be picky and pass an opportunity that will for sure pay him well?

Beggars can't be choosers. Phone Post

He said he told UFC to call him if they ever need a replacement, he said he was actually hoping someone involved in a big fight would pull out so he could fill in. Weaksauce.
9/29/12 11:08 PM
Brock Lobster
124 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GeoDim - Can't get mad at anyone for not wanting to take a short-notice fight against an Olympic wrestler with heavy hands, for a minor league organization. He has a LOT to lose here. And even if he somehow won, no one would see it.

Maybe they shouldn't have made this retarded deal with Showtime in the first place. Phone Post
This sums it up perfectly IMO Phone Post
9/29/12 11:09 PM
mmavixen

Neil Funk - 
i remember halloween - 

your mother's a cunt

LOL.  

I like Neil Funk (even though I don't always agree with him).

9/29/12 11:10 PM
UGCTT_El Pescadero
4313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mmavixen -
UGCTT_El Pescadero - 
mmavixen -

Pescy,

Voted up because I've missed you and I like the way you spelled scared.

Thanks Vix... Always a pleasure bumping into you ;) Phone Post
9/29/12 11:13 PM
da Vinci 81
222 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

StruggleSnuggles - 
da Vinci 81 - If he's already got a fight booked why would he switch it? Cormier may be highly ranked but he's not a big name at all, and bypassing a fight in the UFC for one in Strikeforce makes no sense to begin with.
I'm sure Zuffa would of made it worthwhile to his bank account to accept the fight... And if you think they couldn't hype a win over DC then I guess you haven't been watching MMA very long. Phone Post

Please. No casual would have seen it nor cared. What, they're going to hype him up after beating a guy most people haven't heard of and when his biggest win is barnett, a guy Dana has publicly ripped for years? Good luck with that.

It's lose-lose for Mitrione aside from the healthier pay he would have received but even that would be offset by sponsors not paying as much for a fight in Strikeforce as for one in the UFC.

And don't speak about how long others have been watching the sport when you've got that join date. But let me guess, you've been watching since UFC 1/ lurked for years/ been banned multiple times, right?? Sure, sure.
9/29/12 11:13 PM
demonsurge

A professional athlete turning down a fight against the champion on short notice makes sense. The challenger may not have another chance against that champion for a long time and needs to really focus on training to beat him.

The champion, the guy who is the best of the best, turning down a fight against a challenger makes less sense. You're supposed to be the best, prove it.

Its a double standard, but a double standard you're paid more than double for.
[ 1 ] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.