UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Kettlebell certifications

9/30/12 12:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TheRealMKL
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been wanting to get certified in kettlebells but I'm kind of torn over the various programs out there.

RKC - Seems to be the most popular and expensive. also sucks because they seem to be far away from where I live in the midwest most the time

IKFF - Less popular, price still high and focus on grievoy sport. availability seems to be better than RKC but still few and far between

Steve Maxwell's - heard about it, sounds good, looking for more info

Any thoughts out there?
9/30/12 6:22 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How would the certification help you more than just knowing how to do the lifts correctly? Phone Post
10/1/12 10:55 AM
TheRealMKL
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've eventually like to start training others again. I was a NASM trainer a couple years ago and just didn't renew the cert. When the time came. Phone Post
10/1/12 1:00 PM
damion
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I got a lot out of Jeff Martone's kb cert. Money well spent imo.

http://tacticalathlete.com/seminars.php
10/1/12 4:44 PM
MMA_KNOWLEDGE

Do the cheapest one if you know the lifts and can teach others already. No one who is doing a class to learn the lifts will know the difference. Some certifications will teach the lifts a little differently. know the differences and pick the one that makes the most sense to you. Phone Post
10/1/12 6:22 PM
Roidz Rule

Stay away from RKC for the moment. Pavel is splitting from dragon door/RKC. He says he is going to start is own certification. Since he is probably the biggest name in kettlebells, I wouldn't go that route until everything works itself out. Phone Post
10/1/12 11:07 PM
UGCTT_Gaspare

AOS- Art of Strength Phone Post
10/1/12 11:48 PM
TheRealMKL

Roidz - what's the story with pavel? I'd imagine that'd be a huge deal for Dragon Door. Phone Post
10/2/12 4:22 AM
Zero1
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RKC was amazing and I belive the best outthere. However Pavel is splitting from Dragondoor and their will be no more RKC in the future. But Pavel will come up with his own stuff.

I would go with Steve Maxwell. Great guy very detailed and as an BJJ Blackbelt he has tons of great ideas regarding BJJ and MMA Conditioning with Kettlebells.
10/2/12 2:16 PM
TheRealMKL

Just emailed steve today actually about certifications. Hope to get into a workshop of his soon. Phone Post
10/2/12 7:49 PM
Roidz Rule

They are being hush, hush for the reason of the split. I am sure it came down to money. There are also some rumors that Pavel didn't like the direction John Ducain was taking dragondoor concerning some of the other programs and authors DD was pushing. Phone Post
10/2/12 9:43 PM
TheRealMKL

Does Pavel own the rights to "RKC" or is that a DD thing? Phone Post
10/2/12 9:43 PM
TheRealMKL

Btw sorry for trolling my own thread here guys. I do appreciate the certification info a ton Phone Post
10/3/12 3:57 AM
bull neck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's no reason not to go to the RKC if that's what you want to do.

Pavel sent an email to those in the leadership group when he announced he was leaving saying that he is still Chief until the end of this month and that all courses that are currently advertised on DD will be honored and the course will remain the same (which goes to June 2013). That leaves you plenty of time to go do RKC before anything drastic happens on either side.

He has stated his new thing will launch November 2012 under a different name but that he will recognize anyone trained in the RKCs held by DD until June 2013. I am speculating but I imagine that RKC as a brand belongs to DD, although whether they have full ownership at this time or 50% is a different matter. It may turn out that RKC as a brandname ceases to exist if neither party can agree to terms to buy it from the other. (Again, that is speculation on my part). I'm not too sure how much business he has as currently he has no website, no products to sell and no customer base beyond people who are already RKCs. My understanding is he has no intention to sell bells or anything other than straight educational courses to keep overheads down and minimize admin.

What makes it somewhat humorous to me is that Pavel barely teaches at the RKC anyway but people act like if he's not there the sky is falling. He set up the master instructor thing so that he wouldn't have to be at as many events. So, to me, you can go do the RKC right now and it'll still be the same as if he was the Chief instructor anyway.

Speculating again but I get the feeling that he won't be teaching much under his new brand anyway as he doesn't seem to have the same drive he did only a few years ago. I would think that the course will stay the same, perhaps a higher standard, but that he will be off working with SEALs which he enjoys rather than normal folk leaving his masters to do the majority of the teaching at events. That has already been in place for the last 18 months or so. So even if you follow him to his new thing you may not get him as an instructor anyway.

The whole thing, IMO, is probably going to go to court and if you've been following any of the antics of some of the more senior instructors is eerily similar to what is currently going on with Anthos and Crossfit HQ. There is a large cult like aspect to the RKC which I dislike but people really need leaders and they identify strongly with Pavel which has led some to behave with poor judgement which I think will only hurt his new venture at this point.

The RKC is still worth attending IMO.
10/3/12 1:50 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

basically that^

10/4/12 7:59 PM
creekwarrior2

Bull hit the nail on the head! I just want he got all of his "good" information, because it is everything I would posted I had I seen this sooner. Phone Post
10/4/12 10:36 PM
damion
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

creekwarrior2 -  Bull hit the nail on the head! I just want he got all of his "good" information, because it is everything I would posted I had I seen this sooner. Phone Post

lol I read that like 5 times and still dont know wtf you're trying to say
10/4/12 11:32 PM
bull neck
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he's wondering how I know all this.

The answer is because I'm a team leader and distributor and have talked personally with John du Cane, Pavel and many of the Masters and Seniors. I'm not US based so it's kind of like piecing together an eye witness account of a car accident because you hear things from different sources all with a slightly different spin. But eventually a thread of truth emerges and you can figure out what has happened.

Not being US based is actually a blessing IMO for me as it allows me not to worry just about this as it seems many of my friends are. At the same time as organizing RKC events here I also do FMS and Primal Move so there's more than enough on my plate without having to worry about any little snippy stuff between either party. One thing I do appreciate is that over the last few weeks it seems to have died down as I don't think what was happening before was in anyone's best interests.

I still think the RKC is well worth the money. It's at least on par with any of the other coaching courses I've been to from S&C associations to national weightlifting federations and is easily ahead of anything else I've seen in the fitness industry. Right now, whether Pavel is there or not, it's the exact same course it was only a few weeks ago when he was still 100% with DD and that will stay the same until June 2013.
10/6/12 11:25 PM
TheRealMKL

Much appreciative for the info everyone! Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.