UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Personal Training Tips:

9/30/12 2:33 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMarts
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quick/Useful tips if you're wanting to get into the profession?
9/30/12 9:40 AM
imkeithhernandez
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had this question a few weeks ago...search forum for.. Thinking of becoming a personal trainer..thread...Taku and Arthur were really helpful Phone Post
10/1/12 8:06 PM
DefenseSoapFan1
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get into the profession working at a chain health club.  Learn the ropes, get experience etc then go independent where the real money is.

Don't let people jerk you around with missed sessions/cancellations.  Session counts if they don't give enough notice for a cancellation, set a time limit for when the sessions expire.

Right now I sell 5 week (and longer) packages and if the sessions aren't completed within six weeks, they expire.  Keeps people commited to their workouts, so they don't cancel half the time and never make it up and then stop because they aren't getting results.

If you're working in a health club, they will surely have their own set policy, my advice applies to independent trainers.

As for advice about the actual workouts, keep it simple.  Push, pull, squat, hinge.  All sorts of different exercises/progressions using those movements.

Too many trainers do goofy shit with bosus and various other equipment because (they think) that their client will get bored doing the same stuff over and over.  If  the client is working hard, and seeing results they will be fully interested.  The real reason trainers do the goofy stuff is because the trainer him/herself is bored.  Deal with it. Don't give someone stupid pointless exercises just because you're bored of doing squats and overhead presses that you already did with your three previous clients that day.

10/5/12 11:00 AM
Taku
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Too many trainers do goofy shit with bosus and various other equipment because (they think) that their client will get bored doing the same stuff over and over.  If  the client is working hard, and seeing results they will be fully interested.  The real reason trainers do the goofy stuff is because the trainer him/herself is bored.  Deal with it. Don't give someone stupid pointless exercises just because you're bored of doing squats and overhead presses that you already did with your three previous clients that day."

Agree with this...Although I personally do change things a lot (because I feel variety has it's place). I never use the BOSU, wobble boards, Shake Weight, _______________<---insert stupid trendy thing here.

Push - Pull - Level Change - ESD stuff...BLAMMO!!!

TAKU

10/5/12 11:54 AM
Ninjaplata
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

do more mobility work with older clients, they love that stuff

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.