UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Book on Bach or Baroque Music Theory?

10/1/12 1:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MMA Translations
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

reposting from the OG ;)

I'm delving pretty deeply into Bach and all the terminology is getting in the way: "The prelude is like a concerto grosso with clear-cut ritornelli, and is a small work for manuals alone... In the fifth section, several strettos are combined with the subject in augmentation in the pedals." And I'd like to fill out my knowledge on this, not just definitions, but a true understanding at the music theory level.

I have a high-level grasp of basic music theory (I can appropriately use a neapolitan sixth chord for example), but besides counterpoint manuals, is there something easy to read that widely covers specifically bach/baroque music theory?

10/1/12 1:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
446 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/01/12 1:52 AM
Reposted from OG post FWIW:

I usually end up using Wikipedia. It is an incredible resournce and I've learned a LOT from it. Not as a main foundation, but as a supplement to things I'm working on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_form

Books...well I have the Harvard's Music dictionary, but always end up using the internet. If it makes you feel any better, I don't know what many of those specific types of arragements are either. Hell even the sonata form has a ton of varaitions, so I'm not sure how "solid" definitions of form really are with all the exceptions to the rules and variations. No specific recommendations, but Amazon does a good job of giving "suggested" books, when you can't find what you're looking for. This came up in a quick search: Towards Tonality: Aspects of Baroque Music Theory

MMA Translations -

"The prelude is like a concerto grosso with clear-cut ritornelli, and is a small work for manuals alone... In the fifth section, several strettos are combined with the subject in augmentation in the pedals." And I'd like to fill out my knowledge on this, not just definitions, but a true understanding at the music theory level.

Well off the top of my head (and studying Counterpoint and Orchestration books) I understand everything except what concerto grosso and ritornelli means in your quote.

Concerto Grosso

Ritornello

So some of this information is in books that I've read at least:

The Study of Counterpoint

The Study of Fugue

The Study of Orchestration

The other stuff I just end up using Wikipedia...which has a TON of great information and also very great musical examples (which are not present in many other books and webpages). Like this reference to using a Half-Diminished Chord as a Secondary Dominant substitution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Half_diminished_chord#Sharpened_subdominant_with_minor_seventh

They use the Super Mario Brothers Theme as a musical reference, pretty awesome!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.