UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Most people are scared of training in Brazil

10/1/12 10:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/01/12 10:38 PM

^^ True story

A LOT of people still think Rio is the kind of place you will get cut to pieces in a favela the moment you step off the plane. City of God - great movie, bad PR for Rio.

I got sick of having to constantly persuade people it's not that bad and what the benefits of coming here were

So I made this new site: Train BJJ in Rio.

If you've seen or heard of my work with BJJ Hacks, ESPN, Fighters Only, Jiu-Jitsu Style, Jiu-Jitsu Magazine or any of the other places I've written / photographed / filmde for, then you know I don't do things by halves.

Expect good thing from this site. And no LI stuff. Yes we plan on releasing a full guide book soon, no we do not plan on ramming it down your throat

Please help spread the word :)

10/1/12 11:08 PM
JoeyHustle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am headin there from the 10th-22nd... I will let u know how it goes. Phone Post
10/1/12 11:52 PM
checkuroil
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I worry about the Amazonian ringworm and mats with more bacteria than a bus station bathroom Phone Post
10/2/12 12:08 AM
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 12:09 AM
checkuroil - 

I worry about the Amazonian ringworm and mats with more bacteria than a bus station bathroom Phone Post

I haven't had a single skin infection the entire time I've been here. The gyms I've trained at, the mats are cleaned often.

I got a shit tonne of ringworm and once got staph back in the UK - nothing here so far
10/2/12 12:25 AM
JoeyHustle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was reading the website right now. I am thankful for your insight. It's gonna be very helpful for my upcoming trip. Phone Post
10/2/12 12:27 AM
Mrbrownfolks
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quit trying to convince yourself. It's the most dangerous country in the western hemisphere for a reason. It makes Mexico look civilized.
10/2/12 12:50 AM
mrgoodarmbar
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know. A friend of mine's wife and her girlfriend got robbed at knifepoint in broad daylight. That was about 8yrs ago. So I don't know how much it's changed since then.
10/2/12 12:52 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a friend of mines greatest concern about training in brasil has been................. the tranny booties. he fears they may look too good to pass up but doesnt want to be teh ghey on his brasil trip or catch cooties that may affect his future galfriends vj dont know if he can look but no touch. how do you deal with tranny booty while in brasil? the vids a friend of mine has seen had these greater than female booties that as he put it were "irresistable." he never looked at a guy like that before but is concerned with these amazonian trannies that look realer than real girls   :/

10/2/12 10:15 AM
countlphie
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague - 
checkuroil - 

I haven't had a single skin infection the entire time I've been here. The gyms I've trained at, the mats are cleaned often.

I got a shit tonne of ringworm and once got staph back in the UK - nothing here so far

you know, i found this to be an odd thing

i trained in brazil for about a month, and during that time i was training twice a day.. they didn't clean the mats once. it was common for students to use a gi several times before washing it, because washing machines aren't common and laundromats are expensive. i had to recycle my gis too. when we did no gi it was just in sungas and vale tudo shorts (to my dismay). but i didn't catch any skin infections, and it wasn't much of an issue to begin with according to the other guys

i wash my gis after every practice in the US, and the mats get washed down every night. somehow gotten at least 6 infections. although i'm pretty sure it's because of the guys who walk barefoot in the locker room straight to the mats. but it's just weird because there's no way it was more sanitary in brazil haha
10/2/12 2:20 PM
Hywel Teague

mrgoodarmbar - I don't know. A friend of mine's wife and her girlfriend got robbed at knifepoint in broad daylight. That was about 8yrs ago. So I don't know how much it's changed since then.

It's changed a LOT.

Locals will tell you a few years ago it was the worst it's ever been, but it's chilled out a lot.

EG 5 years ago, if you walked down the street talking on a cellphone somebody would snatch it out of your hand. Now EVERYbody has smartphones, blackberrys etc. Like all people do on the bus is talk shit and play games
10/2/12 4:05 PM
DennisinRio
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoeyHustle -  I am headin there from the 10th-22nd... I will let u know how it goes. Phone Post

See you here Joey!

10/2/12 4:20 PM
budwhite
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Apparently the Brazilians have brought a brand new strain of genital herpes that doesn't have to originate in the genitals.

It's hit both coasts in the U.S. in gyms that have a lot of recent immigrants but hasn't made it far inland yet.

Plus they have that cat shit disease, but I hear that improves your game.

10/2/12 4:20 PM
checkuroil
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw a documentary called fast and furious 4. That place is filled with criminals Phone Post
10/2/12 4:44 PM
elitecmbt
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Id rather be mugged than surprised by a big booty tranny. Phone Post
10/2/12 4:49 PM
BJJWorkouts
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BJJ-Workouts: Training Tips for BJJ, Owner

I've gone every year for the past 10 years for 3-4 weeks at a time. I have had only one small issue with a backpack sitting on a chair on the beach. Stupid on my part.

My wife is from Rio and she tells me all the time that it's a dangerous place when we're down there, I guess we've been lucky.

The mats are a different story. One case of MRSA and another foot thing that required 4 different creams and antibiotics. I have never seen teh mats cleaned and if you wear a white gi you can quickly see the dirt on it.

Still love the country and training there. 

10/2/12 5:05 PM
Hywel Teague

Guess it depends where you're training, I only trained at one dirty gym but it was in a favela, so no surprise.

Most places I've visited (I've been to a LOT of gyms here in RIO) are well kept and cleaned regularly.
10/2/12 7:41 PM
shen
767 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/03/12 12:22 AM

To address the very real fear of traveling & training in Brazil, I have partnered up with a group Chihuahuan Businessman to open a "BJJ Vacation Ranch" just outside the picturesque town of Juárez, Mexico.

You will receive the finest in Shendokan-certified BJJ instruction, while taking in the nightlife of one of Northern Mexico's most famous border-towns!
10/2/12 8:12 PM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shen - 

To address the very real fear of traveling & training in Brazil, I have partnered up with a group Chihuahuan Businessman to open a "BJJ Vacation Ranch" just outside the picturesque town of Juárez, Mexico.

You will receive the finest in Shendokan-certified BJJ instruction, while taking in the nightlife of one of Northern Mexico's most famous towns!

are there any trannies???????? my friend wants to know :/

10/2/12 8:22 PM
demandango
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm scared of getting that disease from cat shit. What's up with that? Phone Post
10/2/12 9:05 PM
Darbyh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sub Phone Post
10/2/12 9:55 PM
Soulroller

I'd train in Brazil in a heartbeat. I think most people are just scared to travel to foreign lands period. Travel paranoia. Phone Post
10/2/12 10:46 PM
pcuzz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sufferingsuckatash - 
shen - 

You will receive the finest in Shendokan-certified BJJ instruction, while taking in the nightlife of one of Northern Mexico's most famous towns!

What about Donkey shows?
10/3/12 12:28 AM
shen
767 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pcuzz - 
sufferingsuckatash - 
shen - 

What about Donkey shows?

Look, my business is about CLASS.

The donkey show we take our students to is more "burlesque oriented", not some sleazy Tijuana peep-show!

--Don't get me wrong here-- you still see a senorita get f@cked by a donkey, but it is done TASTEFULLY.

I won't apologize for having standards.

10/3/12 3:53 AM
Matthieu Battle
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

goldjerrygold.jpg
10/3/12 9:32 AM
Hywel Teague

Shen – "The donkey show we take our students to is more "burlesque oriented""

Legit LOL :D

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.