UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Most people are scared of training in Brazil

10/3/12 10:15 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I only felt scared, actually my ACL's felt scared at BTT this one time a friendly fellow by the name of Paul Harris turned up. Not sure why, but my knees just wanted outta there.
10/3/12 11:32 AM
ryson
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about training in Sao Paulo? Any insight is appreciated.
10/3/12 11:52 AM
truehonor
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Soulroller -  I'd train in Brazil in a heartbeat. I think most people are just scared to travel to foreign lands period. Travel paranoia. Phone Post

I'm not afraid to got to Brazil to train, it's just that...humm .. I, um...can't seem to find where I left my passport that's all, but I'M NOT AFRAID!
10/3/12 1:17 PM
tarado4
484 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague - 

^^ True story

A LOT of people still think Rio is the kind of place you will get cut to pieces in a favela the moment you step off the plane. City of God - great movie, bad PR for Rio.

I got sick of having to constantly persuade people it's not that bad and what the benefits of coming here were

So I made this new site: Train BJJ in Rio.

If you've seen or heard of my work with BJJ Hacks, ESPN, Fighters Only, Jiu-Jitsu Style, Jiu-Jitsu Magazine or any of the other places I've written / photographed / filmde for, then you know I don't do things by halves.

Expect good thing from this site. And no LI stuff. Yes we plan on releasing a full guide book soon, no we do not plan on ramming it down your throat

Please help spread the word :)

great website!

I wish this would have been around for my first trip to Brazil

I will be there this fall at Connection Rio
10/3/12 3:09 PM
shen
761 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/03/12 4:02 PM

I really LIKED "City of God" and as a potential customer, I might be interested in having a taste of THAT experience when training in Rio...

Basically, I'd like to get to run sh!t in Rocinha for a day... sort of like a fantasy camp!

-Nothing TOO dangerous obviously- but if I could just go along when one drug-gang jacks another... maybe give an intimidating soliloquy to a guy tied to a chair while I'm holding an ice-pick... perhaps, smack around a "soldier" for mistreating a prostitute with a heart of gold, I'd consider the trip a success!

--And I'd need a translator for all this, I don't speak a word.
10/3/12 3:53 PM
ElPulpo
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No LI marketing? You lazy ass 97%'er.
10/3/12 4:22 PM
italnbadboy

I trained in Joinville, SC at an Alliance. Clean place, nice, friendly and they invited me out to chill. If you bring a negative atitude youll get one in return. Phone Post
10/3/12 6:56 PM
BenBJJ
255 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ryson - What about training in Sao Paulo? Any insight is appreciated.

I was staying in the north area of SP. and training at Claudio Godoys. A really great bunch of guys there.

Trained at Fabio Gurgels (Alliance) but was too far in traffic. Was nice to train there 3x in one day... a little tiring with jetlag.

Barbosas is excellent also.

My team has an academy there also and hard to find a better bunch of people than ROOTS Jiu Jitsu, Sao Paulo.

Next time I will try to visit to Demian Maia's.
10/6/12 7:55 AM
fakezaga
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The OP is offering a good service.

There are also smaller centres where people can feel safer if they are intimidated by Rio or Sao Paulo.

I chose Florianopolis (with the help of people on this forum,) because I was traveling with my wife and 3-year-old daughter. We stayed for a month.

It was fine and except for hearing of a mugging in our area, we couldn't have felt safer.

But there were still people on this forum who said my daughter would be kidnapped and sold into prostitution.
10/6/12 8:12 AM
BenBJJ

Floripa is awesome! Beers at Praia Mole!
10/6/12 1:51 PM
wombat
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rio is much safer now than it was years ago, especially Zona Sul. Copacabana can be a bit sketchy at night, but Ipanema is safer and Leblon is as safe as anywhere thanks to groups of municipal police walking around with clubs the size of hockey sticks slung across their backs.

When I went there years ago, I didn't speak any Portuguese and didn't know anyone but I still found an apartment and found a bunch of clubs to train at. So if I can do it, you can too ... unless you are a total idiot.

10/6/12 2:03 PM
GayGuardMooseSaucy
457 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is Sao Paulo? I saw a recent documentary about an American cop going on a shooting rampage down there after he was the bodyguard for a rich Brazilian family. Phone Post
10/6/12 4:32 PM
ROFL

I plan on going to brazil next winter. gonna do it right and give myself a month or two. CANT WAIT!
10/6/12 7:10 PM
checkuroil
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fakezaga - The OP is offering a good service.

There are also smaller centres where people can feel safer if they are intimidated by Rio or Sao Paulo.

I chose Florianopolis (with the help of people on this forum,) because I was traveling with my wife and 3-year-old daughter. We stayed for a month.

It was fine and except for hearing of a mugging in our area, we couldn't have felt safer.

But there were still people on this forum who said my daughter would be kidnapped and sold into prostitution.
Do you have a particular set of skills? Phone Post
10/6/12 10:15 PM
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fakezaga - The OP is offering a good service.

Thanks amigo, glad you like the site
10/7/12 2:51 PM
fakezaga
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

checkuroil -

I don't get it. What are you getting at? Phone Post
10/7/12 3:09 PM
El Refe
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fakezaga -
checkuroil -

I don't get it. What are you getting at? Phone Post
It's a quote from Taken.

" I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you." Phone Post
10/7/12 3:16 PM
fakezaga

Oh shit. I need to watch more movies. Phone Post
10/7/12 3:18 PM
El Refe

fakezaga - Oh shit. I need to watch more movies. Phone Post
Nah, movies are a waste of time, I've never seen that movie, but I know the quote from this site. Phone Post
10/22/12 4:10 AM
myates

Or just skip Brazil and come to Abu Dhabi... Highest concentration of bjj black belts in the world. Central club (adcc) has anywhere from 20-40 black belts on the mats sun-thursday. No beaches or bikini clad big booty beauties though.
10/22/12 11:34 AM
Hywel Teague
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

myates - Or just skip Brazil and come to Abu Dhabi... Highest concentration of bjj black belts in the world. Central club (adcc) has anywhere from 20-40 black belts on the mats sun-thursday. No beaches or bikini clad big booty beauties though.

"No beaches or bikini clad big booty beauties though"

EXACTLY
10/22/12 10:01 PM
JoeyHustle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thx for the RIP but i am in rio and loving it! Lots of good and bad misconceptions on this place. Flying home soon. Should i write a post about my experiences at gyms and the city at day/night?

I post some tourist pics on my instagram profile as well... JoeyHustleLA Phone Post
10/23/12 7:57 AM
Jits_n_Hoez

After going through the thread, I've come to the conclusion that in Brasil, mats do not like to get mopped... so my question is, how about a big club like Nova Uniao, would they be cleaning their mats?? 

10/23/12 10:07 AM
Bean Bag
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What happens if you have a major injury in Brasil (torn ACL for example)?  Would I want to have the operation there are wait until I get back home?  What would be the costs if I had it done there?

10/23/12 12:55 PM
Hywel Teague

Joey do we know know each other or have we crossed paths? Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.