UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Most people are scared of training in Brazil

10/23/12 12:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hywel Teague
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jits_n_Hoez -

After going through the thread, I've come to the conclusion that in Brasil, mats do not like to get mopped... so my question is, how about a big club like Nova Uniao, would they be cleaning their mats?? 

Dude, at the gyms I've been to there are guys mopping the mats after every session. The dirty mats thing only applies to some gyms Phone Post
10/23/12 1:06 PM
JoeyHustle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel- we have never met before.

In regards to dirty mats in brazil I only noticed one gym that was a little dirty for my tastes. All the others I would see someone clean the mats following a class.

Gordo's academy was a freaking 5 star spa nearly. I mean it is nicer than most America academy. I was really impressed with the amenities there. Phone Post
10/23/12 1:23 PM
Hywel Teague
215 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah yeah I just saw your Instagram, I wasn't sure if we had. Glad we were of help though, thanks for the good words! Phone Post
10/23/12 3:38 PM
JoeyHustle
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel I am gonna do a write up of my entire experience so it can help other travelers to have an easy time. Phone Post
10/23/12 4:37 PM
Hywel Teague

Do it man, the more people who come to Rio the better

It'd be an honour to post it on my site
10/23/12 6:31 PM
djsolar36
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

budwhite -

Apparently the Brazilians have brought a brand new strain of genital herpes that doesn't have to originate in the genitals.

It's hit both coasts in the U.S. in gyms that have a lot of recent immigrants but hasn't made it far inland yet.

Plus they have that cat shit disease, but I hear that improves your game.

Sorry to hijack but are you being serious...? Because there is some shit going around a few gyms I know that docs can't figure out. A couple docs my boy spoke to seem to think it's a mutated form of mat herpes. They can't figure out how to treat it though. Pretty interesting if you heard something similar... Phone Post
10/23/12 7:26 PM
On the Mat
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most People Are Pussies! Even the flavelas are not that bad. Everyone that trains BJJ should go once. And stay with Denis when you do.
10/23/12 10:18 PM
JoeyHustle

I went inside the largest favela in rio and posted pics of me in it. Favela Rocinha was not as bad as it looks. Brazil is a great place to train and visit most of the people I think that hate on it are the ones who never travel period. Or they have no idea what they are talking about from experience.

Hywel u got it i will write one up tomorrow when I get back in the states. Phone Post
10/23/12 11:40 PM
HoldYerGround
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Want to know what's really scary about Brazil? The price of airfare and living expenses.
10/23/12 11:52 PM
Hywel Teague

On the Mat - Most People Are Pussies! Even the flavelas are not that bad. Everyone that trains BJJ should go once. And stay with Denis when you do.

Scotty is 100% right.

The other day I made a list of the favelas I've been to and so far I've been into Complexo do Alemao, Cidade de Deus, Cantagalo, Vidigal, Chapeu Mangueira, Tijuquinha, Vargem Grande and always with 1000's of dollars worth of equipment. Never had any trouble in any of them
10/24/12 3:49 AM
spidermanik
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's the favela next to checkmat called? Caveiro took us once and we had a meal for 8 reias that no one could finish it was so big! Phone Post
10/24/12 9:13 AM
Hywel Teague

Edited: 10/24/12 9:13 AM
spidermanik - 

What's the favela next to checkmat called? Caveiro took us once and we had a meal for 8 reias that no one could finish it was so big! Phone Post

It was probably Cantagalo, although Pavao and Pavaozinho are pretty close too
10/24/12 7:26 PM
budwhite
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

djsolar36 - 
budwhite -

Apparently the Brazilians have brought a brand new strain of genital herpes that doesn't have to originate in the genitals.

It's hit both coasts in the U.S. in gyms that have a lot of recent immigrants but hasn't made it far inland yet.

Plus they have that cat shit disease, but I hear that improves your game.

Sorry to hijack but are you being serious...? Because there is some shit going around a few gyms I know that docs can't figure out. A couple docs my boy spoke to seem to think it's a mutated form of mat herpes. They can't figure out how to treat it though. Pretty interesting if you heard something similar... Phone Post

That is what a friend of mine at ATT-Coconut Creek said.

He said some of the recent Brazilian immigrants and some of those that go back and forth frequently have acquired some crazy strain of herpes.

Apparently it's preventable with peroxide washes/soaps and some other remedies like Defense Soap, but if a country comes up with it's own nasty strain of herpes, that's the last place I want to go.

YMMV.  Some folks like the herpes.

10/24/12 8:09 PM
Hywel Teague

Budwhite, did you ever hear about Japanese ringworm? You probably want to cross that one off your list also
10/25/12 12:14 PM
budwhite
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hywel Teague - Budwhite, did you ever hear about Japanese ringworm? You probably want to cross that one off your list also

Yeah but I heard you can only get that in the bukkake joints.

Far be it from me to suggest that someone might be a little cautious about a third world country.

Perhaps you might prepare a "Train in Kabul" trip or venture to an exciting training experience in Nigeria.......

Might even pick an exciting investment opportunity.

10/25/12 5:38 PM
demandango
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

In Phone Post
10/25/12 5:53 PM
djsolar36
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

budwhite -
Hywel Teague - Budwhite, did you ever hear about Japanese ringworm? You probably want to cross that one off your list also

Far be it from me to suggest that someone might be a little cautious about a third world country.

Perhaps you might prepare a "Train in Kabul" trip or venture to an exciting training experience in Nigeria.......

Um..Brazil has the world's 6th largest economy. I certainly wouldn't consider it a third world country... Phone Post
10/25/12 10:25 PM
budwhite

Edited: 10/25/12 10:26 PM
djsolar36 - 
budwhite -

Um..Brazil has the world's 6th largest economy. I certainly wouldn't consider it a third world country... Phone Post

Competing to be the biggest economy in South America still makes you a third world country.

Haven't you seen City of God?

Little kids shooting each other with AK's is a pretty good indication that you're still third world.

10/26/12 4:18 AM
JoeyHustle

Bud White they are not competing with South American economies. They have surpassed The UK, Canada, & Austrailia... Do you consider those third world countries?

By the way you just described a movie with kids with guns frightening u ... Does that mean u won't come to LA because of the Boyz N Tha Hood movie? 

I just came back and felt safe as I was here in the States. 
10/26/12 8:24 AM
microbiologynerd
933 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HoldYerGround - Want to know what's really scary about Brazil? The price of airfare and living expenses.
Ive been twice for work- once ro rio, once to sp/campinas. It was 800 rt for my rip ticket, and 1000 for my sp ticket, both out of boston. To me that was a reasonable price, even with work paying.

I dont know about living expenses since all costs went to company. Food at reataurants seemed reasonable/cheap ad did hotel prices. Mmmm saideras!! Phone Post
10/27/12 1:22 AM
LetsTalkItOut
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/27/12 1:22 AM
Guys quick question, I'm studying abroad(classes taught in english) in Rio for 3 and half months next year. I have zero Portuguese skills, how much can I learn in that amount of time? I'm sure it varies depending on the person but would I be able to hold a conversation by the time I'm done?
10/27/12 6:44 AM
fakezaga
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The scariest thing is the price of sunscreen. Phone Post
10/27/12 4:45 PM
budwhite

JoeyHustle - Bud White they are not competing with South American economies. They have surpassed The UK, Canada, & Austrailia... Do you consider those third world countries?

By the way you just described a movie with kids with guns frightening u ... Does that mean u won't come to LA because of the Boyz N Tha Hood movie? 

I just came back and felt safe as I was here in the States. 

Damn right!

Ever since I saw Boyz N Tha Hood, I run out of an elevator if a black person gets in!

That said, it was kinda dissapointing when I went to a seminar at Rigan Machado's a few years back  and drove through Compton.

I thought I was going to get to see some drive-bys or at least some rappers, but all I saw was a bunch of piano-tuning shops.

Talk about a let down. :(

Yes. I do consider Canada and Australia third world countries.

The UK is doing their best to turn themselves into a third world shithole with all those foreigners they keep letting in.

10/27/12 7:32 PM
Hywel Teague

LetsTalkItOut - Guys quick question, I'm studying abroad(classes taught in english) in Rio for 3 and half months next year. I have zero Portuguese skills, how much can I learn in that amount of time? I'm sure it varies depending on the person but would I be able to hold a conversation by the time I'm done?
If you do a few hours practice a day every day for the time you're here, you should get to a basic conversational level Phone Post
10/27/12 7:34 PM
Hywel Teague

And anyone who bases their opinion of a country on a fictional movie is retarded Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.