UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Griffin: I'm not the best, but still pretty good

10/1/12 11:05 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

"I think its stylistically a good matchup for me," he said. "I honestly, the thing that's been getting me in trouble are guys that are quicker than me and beating me to the punch with something I don't see coming. That's the problem I've had recently."

Of course, Sonnen knows a lot can happen between now and fight day. He nearly lost out on the fight date when Sonnen was offered a short-notice bout against Jon Jones, one which Jones turned down.

"He kind of runs around saying, ‘Hey, I want to fight you, I want to fight you, I want to fight you,'" Griffin said. "If something comes up, I'll fight whoever on Dec. 29. That's not true, I won't fight whoever. I'm actually keeping a laundry list of people I want to fight and people I don't want to fight."

Griffin quickly added "I'm not going to divulge who's on what list."

So as Griffin gets down to business -- Monday marked the start of his 12 weeks of fight prep -- he's back to doing the only thing he knows how, whether or not White still wants him around.

"I just love fighting," Griffin said. "I know I'm not the best, but I'm still pretty good, there's a lot of people I can still beat. What do you do. What else am I supposed to do? I have no other skills. I enjoy doing this. There's nothing I'd really rather do, you know?"

read entire article...

10/1/12 11:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gw99
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's still good enough to ruin your day if you under estimate him.
10/1/12 11:09 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oddly enough, he sounds like he's in a better place now than he was a few months ago. Phone Post
10/1/12 11:14 PM
grafzep
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gw99 - he's still good enough to ruin your day if you under estimate him.

agree

Chael has no power and I don't see him winning
10/1/12 11:15 PM
allforroy
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He beats Chael. Phone Post
10/1/12 11:33 PM
Ep32nv
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forrest is always honest you have to give him that. Phone Post
10/1/12 11:38 PM
Death Beast
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He'll triangle Chael (again)
10/1/12 11:45 PM
CHILLITACO
691 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ - Oddly enough, he sounds like he's in a better place now than he was a few months ago. Phone Post
This Phone Post
10/1/12 11:53 PM
French Fries Malone

I hope he fucks chael up Phone Post
10/2/12 12:31 AM
Alpha World Peace

He almost beat Tito. Phone Post
10/2/12 12:48 AM
Brabo Ben
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forest's game is so much more technical than people give him credit for, he has this label of being a brawler for a fight he desperately wanted to win to fight in the in the UFC. At 205 there are probably only 2 or 3 guys capable of firmly out grappling him in the UFC, those two standouts are Vinny M and Anthony perosh.
He has a great sweeping game and a lot of his losses have come from his over confidence in his guard, like when rashad knocked him out from open guard and jardine did a similar number on him.
I don't think forrest is the same fighter he was a few years back, but he certainly isn't washed up and will punish people on the mat who don't give him the respect he deserves there. Phone Post
10/2/12 1:21 AM
Deaf Forever

Sonnen will run through him. An ancient TITO ORTIZ was taking him down easily and controlling him. He never came close to establishing his guard and defending well. Tito was also beating him to the punch semi-regularly and dropped him.

Griffin has been done for awhile.
10/2/12 1:32 AM
joe canada
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always had, and likely will always have, a great deal of respect for the way Forrest handles himself in interviews.

If he's putting on a persona, he's masterful at it. But I don't think it's that.

I think he's a guy who respects himself and his skills, but respects the sport enough to know that there are people out there that are better than him.

And he fights them anyways.

And wins.

Roy Nelson wants to be the 'everyman' fighter, but imho, no one represents your average guy with above average drive better than Forrest Griffin.

He brings it every time, and comes prepared. He keeps going until he finds a way to win or until he runs out of time.

Will always be a fan.
10/2/12 2:32 AM
Mdson
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's not that long ago when Forrest beat Franklin and nobody is yelling Franklin to retire. However, I do see the point if you consider the damage Forrest has taken in his career.

He just needs to be smart who he fights from now on and he still has some fights left in him.
10/2/12 4:34 AM
fightharder
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And we really hope you will keep fighting for a long long time.

Forrest is still, even though he is not at the top of the heap anymore, one of my  favorite fighters. He is always entertaining,both fighting and in everything apart from the fighting.

I personally do not see him putting Chael in a submission (his ground game is pretty good but Sonnen ground defense has become better and i am sure he wont be caught in anything anytime soon anymore).

But he has a good chance at picking Sonnen apart from the outside. I would love to see if his legkicks can negate Sonnens take-downs.

Probably not but it will be a good fucking fight to watch.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.