UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Hand size influence grip strength?

10/2/12 12:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GSDFan
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was watching MNF and looking at Steve Young's massive hands made me recall reading somewhere in Starting Strength that hand size can influence grip strength. Does having smaller hands (like I do) lower your grip strength relative to a person with larger hands?

When I deadlift, my grip strength is BY FAR the limiting factor in my lift. My legs and back can easily handle a load that my hands simply cannot hold. I've thought about doing what Rippetoe suggest and warming up as heavy as you can without straps, and then using staps for your heavy reps on the deadlift, but haven't gone down that route yet.

Not looking for excuses, but just curious if my hand size factors into very mediocre deadlift performance.
10/2/12 3:20 PM
Leigh
974 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, if for no other reason that a bigger hand can get a better grip. We know that fat grips make something harder to hold and to a smaller hand, everything is proportionally more of a fat grip. The tall guy at jiujitsu can get his hands easily around your wrists and it gives him great grip but the actual crushing force may not be any greater
10/6/12 6:00 AM
acamp76144
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good question. I have often wondered the same thing Phone Post
10/6/12 11:10 AM
Ninjaplata
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Having little girl hands myself, I refuse to believe it limits my grip. I don't DL heavy too much any more (on a bit of a kettlebell kick) but when I did, I would always use a double overhand grip as long as I could and would then switch to a mixed grip as the weight got heavier. I refuse to use straps.

It seems the forearms respond well to time under tension, my rock climber friend has arms like popeye, no biceps, all forearms. Which led me to get rock rings for my pull up bar.

A great grip exercise is to just hang from a bar with a hooks grip, try for a minute, its not easy. Then start hanging from just one hand, it tough!
10/6/12 11:12 AM
Ninjaplata
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also try to convince myself that just like the shorter arms can typically bench more, shorter legs can squat more, maybe small hands and grip harder?
10/6/12 4:49 PM
HERTSWENIP
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/06/12 7:47 PM
A larger hand will have an easier time closing a gripper, cos of the mechanical advantage of the longer finger (the tendons of the flexor digitorum insertion points are attached at the finger tips)
10/6/12 5:45 PM
molsonman
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How much are you deadlifting? I find most people are not strong enough for grip to be the limiting factor. Phone Post
10/15/12 1:45 AM
GSDFan

I'm deadlifting around 315-325. I can rep that amount for squats fairly well (3 x 5). When I get one or two reps of that weight with a deadlift, though, the bar starts slipping out of my hands.

I could use straps to prove my theory, but I'm pretty sure my grip is the problem. I don't feel like that is too much weight for my legs/back.
10/15/12 6:25 AM
OiKing

Edited: 10/15/12 2:42 PM
If it really is a grip problem then do exactly what you said. Use straps on your heaviest sets. Your back and core won't care about using straps. Train your grip separately. (plate pinches, hex dumbbell holds, grippers, etc.) I have rarely seen grip be a limiting factor on single reps with deadlifts like molsonman said. <br /><br />You are using a mixed grip right? Have you tried a hook grip? It hurts me like hell but I know some people swear by it.
10/16/12 12:37 AM
SidRon
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recall reading an article recently in No Shit Quarterly that stated larger hands were generally stronger than smaller hands. I think the study involved a human and a gorilla.
10/16/12 1:52 PM
Graunie
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you using chaulk? This is a must imo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.