UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Mike Keneally

10/2/12 3:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 3:11 AM

Well I'm open to trying to expand my ears, so let's get the ball rolling with Mike Keneally!

10/2/12 9:09 AM
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh now you've done it!

This is a song about his father dying. And for a long time it was the most requested of his tunes at live shows.

10/2/12 9:11 AM
Ali
686 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

and here's a song about how... um... every time I think I have my shit together, my skull starts to bubble again.

10/2/12 9:50 AM
Ali

Talk talk talk talk.

10/2/12 9:52 AM
Ali

Problems with the vocal mic. Oh well. It gets a bit better after the first couple lines.

10/2/12 10:06 AM
Ali

The Metropole Orchestra commissioned a concerto, which is called "The Universe Will Provide". This tune is not part of that, but ... a tune he worked out with them, evidently.

10/2/12 10:16 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/02/12 10:47 AM
From a primarily acoustic, and primarily solo record, "Wooden Smoke", here's an instrumental called Dee 'n' A. One of a handful of my favorite things.

The "new record" he mentions was to be called Dancing, which is pretty much a "big band" record. It kills me how many of those songs (with an 8 piece band) he'd do solo acoustic at live shows.

10/2/12 10:23 AM
Ali

And pulling out the electric in what was a primarily acoustic show. Two tunes from his second record:

10/2/12 10:37 AM
jman
557 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool, enjoyed the interviews and orchestra stuff. I don't "get" Zappa (I don't "get" many things) so I don't really get into the singing stuff with the guitar.

Thanks for posting, keep posting more I'll check 'em all out.
10/2/12 10:49 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/02/12 11:03 AM
I'm trying to get some hint of his range (and it really is just a hint, there's only so much on youtube, and only so much of that is recorded so you can hear much of what's going on). Which singing stuff with the guitar? You don't mean just singing and playing, like a rock guy, right? You talking about singing unisons? (I often don't dig that either, btw. But there's a lot more going on...)
10/3/12 10:55 AM
hugomma
945 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/03/12 11:14 AM

Here's Keneally shredding with Marco Minnemann again.

10/3/12 11:40 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/03/12 11:47 AM
The last song from Dancing, "Kedgeree" -- here in from the most recent live record. I always thought this was a really special song:

10/3/12 11:44 AM
Ali

More talk. I like several of these questions...

11/16/12 10:43 PM
Ali

Edited: 11/16/12 10:47 PM
Jimmy, try this one... Mike doesn't sing. Robbie Pagliari (a bass GOD) sings... and Kofi Baker (Ginger Baker's kid) plays drums. But Mike's guitar on this is beautiful.

Pagliari and Baker were 2/3 of Ohm at the time... with another magnificent guitarist, Chris Poland. I saw a tour where Ohm opened and then this, Kofi's "Tribute to Cream" cash cow, headlined. Varous guitarists had the "Cream" gig at different times. I saw a few. Keneally was easily the best.
12/19/12 3:15 PM
stobe
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I saw him front the front row of a G-3 concert, that guy is amazing.
12/21/12 11:00 AM
Ali

stobe - I saw him front the front row of a G-3 concert, that guy is amazing.

Nice seats! When I first started seeing him live, it seemed a few of the audience members were people who knew him from Zappa, but by far most knew him from the G3 video, as part of Vai's band. There's too little of him in that video, but there's enough to show he's special. And Vai does announce him as "the Amazing Mike Keneally on guitar and keyboards". Which was nice of him.
12/28/12 10:44 PM
stobe
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The funny thing is, we got there for the opening act, not Kenny Wayne Shepard but some guy I never heard of, Robert Fripp? He was doing some synthithizer type of thing and Mike Keneally was out their also playing some riffs.

Well anyway I knew Mike was an incredible musician but my buddy did not. At that point Mike wasn't doing anything impressive and it was still pretty quiet, my buddy said "this guys sucks!" Of course we were about 5 feet away from him, he looked right at my friend and let it fly. Right after that my buddy said, "wow, that guy is pretty good."

12/28/12 11:07 PM
Ali

Edited: 12/28/12 11:10 PM
stobe - The funny thing is, we got there for the opening act, not Kenny Wayne Shepard but some guy I never heard of, Robert Fripp? He was doing some synthithizer type of thing and Mike Keneally was out their also playing some riffs.

Well anyway I knew Mike was an incredible musician but my buddy did not. At that point Mike wasn't doing anything impressive and it was still pretty quiet, my buddy said "this guys sucks!" Of course we were about 5 feet away from him, he looked right at my friend and let it fly. Right after that my buddy said, "wow, that guy is pretty good."

Too Funny. Neither of those guys are people who get into the whole "gunslinging" aspect of guitaristics... but they're both mindblowing technicians. Fripp was (and still is, maybe?) the one constant in King Crimson. He had seen Keneally in Vai's band, and invited him to play during the opening act as well, after the tour went on for a while. I've heard a recording of the two together and... it sounds like a Fripp record. Which disappointed me, in its own way... but what else did I expect. Keneally fit into what Fripp was doing brilliantly, which is one thing he does. He's a very good accompanist, and he makes other people better.

He's also ridiculously great on his own (I know I'm preaching to the choir at this point!) When I was a kid, Fripp was my favorite guitar player. To this day, I think he's an extraordinary musician; he just too often gets in his own way, too much braininess and too little heart. I think he knows it, and he tries to get past it. At his best, he does. He's amazing. But ... he recognized Keneally has having "that thing" that gets where he wants to go. Baseline.
4/28/13 1:30 AM
Ali

Just the solo.... from the Zappa's Universe performance (Frank was too sick to show, this was just before he died). Keneally playing pretty, solo from "Any Kind of Pain":

4/28/13 1:47 AM
Ali

His own instrumental, Bullys. (Spelled wrong on purpose). From his second solo album, but here live from 2008.

4/29/13 10:34 AM
hugomma
945 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - Jimmy, try this one... Mike doesn't sing. Robbie Pagliari (a bass GOD) sings... and Kofi Baker (Ginger Baker's kid) plays drums. But Mike's guitar on this is beautiful.

Pagliari and Baker were 2/3 of Ohm at the time... with another magnificent guitarist, Chris Poland. I saw a tour where Ohm opened and then this, Kofi's "Tribute to Cream" cash cow, headlined. Varous guitarists had the "Cream" gig at different times. I saw a few. Keneally was easily the best.

TTT for later, thanks dude.

BTW, I think Chris Poland used to play for Megadeth, but I could be wrong there.

4/29/13 10:48 AM
Ali

Edited: 04/29/13 10:54 AM
You're not wrong. That's the same Chris Poland. With Robbie Pagliari and a somewhat rotating cast of drummers (originally, and most recently again as of now, Dave Eagle) he's got a fusion trio, Ohm, that does very tight and mindmelting tunes. Accessible in part because of the rock structure, not noodly or "jammy". Poland was a fusion player before Megadeath.

Poland deserves his own thread. There's probably enough Ohm stuff on youtube now to make it worth it.
4/29/13 11:31 AM
hugomma

Edited: 04/29/13 11:32 AM
Ali - You're not wrong. That's the same Chris Poland. With Robbie Pagliari and a somewhat rotating cast of drummers (originally, and most recently again as of now, Dave Eagle) he's got a fusion trio, Ohm, that does very tight and mindmelting tunes. Accessible in part because of the rock structure, not noodly or "jammy". Poland was a fusion player before Megadeath.

Poland deserves his own thread. There's probably enough Ohm stuff on youtube now to make it worth it.

Interesting.  Any guy that can grab your ear and play for Megadeth is a guy worth checking out.  Kind of like Keneally doing his thing & playing with Dethklok.

4/29/13 9:59 PM
pheonix5
669 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - oh now you've done it!

This is a song about his father dying. And for a long time it was the most requested of his tunes at live shows.

Wow! I'm diggin' this man. Good stuff.
4/29/13 10:58 PM
hugomma

Ali - Just the solo.... from the Zappa's Universe performance (Frank was too sick to show, this was just before he died). Keneally playing pretty, solo from "Any Kind of Pain":

Pretty indeed. Keneally's a chameleon. He absolutely nails Frank's tone & phrasing.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.