UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mitrione explains why he turned down Cormier bout

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/2/12 8:23 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Stephie Daniels: In your own words, why did you turn down the fight with Daniel Cormier?

Matt Mitrione: First, I want to thank Dana White and Joe Silva for even offering that fight. It was an honor to get that call, and I would love to fight Daniel Cormier, but I'm just not ready right now. He has Olympic level wrestling, and although I have spent a great deal of time working on my wresting, I don't feel it would be my best fight back after such a long layoff. UFC worked hard to get me a fight this year, but my old opponent had visa issues and it caused additional time out of the cage. Wrestling is, by far, my weakest skill. I'm working hard on my wrestling, but it would be a huge weakness against me in a short notice fight against Cormier.

Stephie Daniels: Does the fact that this fight would have been in Strikeforce, which is noticeably deteriorating at a rapid rate, have anything to do with your choice to not fight Cormier?

Matt Mitrione: Not at all, if I thought I was ready for Cormier, I would fight him in Strikeforce or the UFC, or wherever.

read entire article...

10/2/12 8:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
yabadaba
221 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

priestcraft - Translation?

He doesn't think he's ready for Cormier.

10/2/12 8:29 AM
Forest Whitakers Lazy Eye
251 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honesty > BS excuses Phone Post
PrestigeWorldwide
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

She shouldn't have to explain himself - he doesn't owe anybody anything. Phone Post
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honest answer
10/2/12 8:30 AM
EckY
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Was a joke fight to setup anyway, total mismatch and Dana knew it.

10/2/12 9:48 AM
PeteyWheatstraw
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Maybe he would have caught Cormier on a bad night? lol

He probably won't ever be "ready" for Cormier, but it was an opportunity to step up to a challenge and he didn't. I guess he's being realistic, but it's the fight game and anything can happen.
10/2/12 9:54 AM
StruggleSnuggles
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PeteyWheatstraw - Maybe he would have caught Cormier on a bad night? lol

He probably won't ever be "ready" for Cormier, but it was an opportunity to step up to a challenge and he didn't. I guess he's being realistic, but it's the fight game and anything can happen.
Exactly... He will never be ready for DC or any other top 5 fighter... Why not take the chance and see what he really has in him? Doubt he gets a top tiered fighter any time in the near future Phone Post
10/2/12 10:03 AM
PeteyWheatstraw
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mid-level fighters who try to custom tailor their UFC careers to their own liking seem to piss off Dana, which in turn hurts their UFC career. One of the few things I kind of agree with him on. It's not about being a "character" and going on all the MMA shows making comments to get attention. Or being selective in who you'll fight. It's about taking big fights and fighting your ass off, win or lose.
10/2/12 10:05 AM
JeffersonDArcyChoke
554 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman -
EckY -

Yup, Mitrione was being brought in too lose and fuck that. He's got a career to worry about, not the dying corpse of strikeforce. Phone Post
He does?

You really see him being champ?

Look, not everyone can be champ.

That's not me dogging Matt.

It's called being the best because everyone can't do it.

Matt won't be champ and at his age he doesn't have 10 years to find himself in this game.

So it becomes a case of taking fights that pay the most OR provide the most exposure.

I'm sure this would have paid well but exposure in a main event seen by a couple hundred thousand is worth more than being buried on a FX undercard or the first fight of a UFC PPV that does a 150K buyrate.

It's ok to say he will never be on Cormier's level.

Sebastian Telfair won't be on Chris Paul's level.

So?

Play the game, cash a check and take a chance.

Because at least fighting Cormier meant a chance to win.

He fights guys he can beat now?

What does that really do to make us remember Matt or forget he turned down an opportunity. Phone Post
10/2/12 10:11 AM
SQUEEZIE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thatsjustlikeyouropinionman - 
EckY -

Yup, Mitrione was being brought in too lose and fuck that. He's got a career to worry about, not the dying corpse of strikeforce. Phone Post

you guys thot the chael jbj fight was a gd one tho didnt u? and u hated jbj for turning it down didnt u?
10/2/12 10:16 AM
huggy bear
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't blame him at all meat head only has like 7 mma fights and is honestly very green in many areas especially the grappling. The way Cormier was slamming Barnett and out striking him is the reason why a lot of guys aren't taking this fight in my opinion. Dana really looked like a dick bashing mitrione especially when it was a set up fight 2 make Cormier look good. Phone Post
10/2/12 10:26 AM
wiggum
391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

William Colosimo - I like the honesty

Me too. And RyanVonDoom - you're exactly right. Turning down a fight when you're mid level and coming off a horrible-looking loss is way different than being the number one guy in the world.
10/2/12 10:31 AM
HighBastard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

matts a good up and comer, no point in being thrown around by dc.
10/2/12 10:34 AM
caposa
2054 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If they announced this fight I would have laughed. It's just as comical as Cormier/Barry but Mitrione hasn't even fought in 9 months. You just know that Joe Silva is giving him a wrestler next too. Probably Russow or something. Phone Post
10/2/12 10:37 AM
Trifive

So, wrestling is by far his weakest skill. He didn't take the fight on a month notice because Cormier is an olypic level wrestler. If he had time (say the usual 3 months) to train, he thinks 2 more monnths is enough to compete with olypic level wrestling? Seriously??

I think we should call them preparers instead of fighters. Reminds me of the scene in SpaceBalls: "What are you preparing for? You're always preparing. Just GO!"

Fighters are a thing of the past.
10/2/12 10:42 AM
Johnny D
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't always understand Dana's reaction to fighters turning down fights, at times it's justified like the Jon Jones situation. Other times I think he's wrong for coming down on these guys, not all these fighters walk around ready to fight on short notice. Just as it is Dana's responsibility to put on good shows to ensure a successful and marketable product, it's a fighters responsibility to ensure he does all that is necessary to accomplish victory in a fight. Fighters shouldn't turn down fights when given the proper time to prepare and be ready, Dana should exercise a little more discretion when coming down on some of these guys, just like he wants to be successful, they just want to ensure the same for themselves. Phone Post
10/2/12 10:49 AM
sawdusk
173 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

while I don't agree with dana's public lambasting of fighters who are just watching out for their careers, I do understand he is looking out of the UFC and, if that means publicly bullying fighters into fights they are not prepared for, so be it... it's all about the bottom line for dana, not for the welfare or betterment of a fighter's career...

I think it's great fighters are standing up to him though and doing what they feel is best for their current livelihoods..
10/2/12 10:51 AM
fryingarmbar
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fair enough, Mitrione, but I don't see anything in his reasons that would likely appease Dana. I can't imagine him being like, "Ohhhh you weren't ready. That's cool then, no problem." Phone Post
10/2/12 10:56 AM
Crooklyn
955 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Butter, 'cuz I'm on a roll!

Thanks UG Blog. Appreciate you picking up my stuff again.

10/2/12 10:58 AM
muppetsbungalowedbeyatch
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOnestly, a guy like Matt who is still relatively new to MMA but has shown some decent potential, is expected to get thrown to the wolves against an Olympic caliber wrestler and SF champ Cormier?

It's not even close to the same situation as the Chael/Jones issue.

Comparing it to the Jones/Sonnen fight would need Cormier being the one turning down the fight, not Mitrione.
10/2/12 11:01 AM
EckY
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why is Dana trying to setup a fight between a guy not even ranked in the top 20, who is coming off a loss and a year layoff, against a top 5 HW?

10/2/12 11:15 AM
cheesesteak
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wonder why these guys are thinking if they loose under this particular condition that their careers will be hurt. I believe the opposite, the boss is calling you to step up here!!!!

If anything you will learn some invaluable lessons in the cage by fighting a top conternder and the boss will know that you are a stand up guy. It's a no brainer imo..
10/2/12 11:49 AM
Johnny D
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sawdusk - while I don't agree with dana's public lambasting of fighters who are just watching out for their careers, I do understand he is looking out of the UFC and, if that means publicly bullying fighters into fights they are not prepared for, so be it... it's all about the bottom line for dana, not for the welfare or betterment of a fighter's career...

I think it's great fighters are standing up to him though and doing what they feel is best for their current livelihoods..

Well said but...... Dana is not bullying anyone into fights, he's just bad mouthing these guys because they are not doing what he thinks is right, it's the bottom line for him and thats understandable. At the same time he shouldn't be bad mouthing these guys when they don't do what he thinks is right because usually he is not considering the welfare of these fighters at all in his decision, the fighters themselves turning down fights under certain circumstances is just as understandable as Dana's desire to put a card together in a pinch.
But he should really stop the bashing, at least publicly.
10/2/12 11:51 AM
mijo

Let's be honest here. If Kongo takes you down at will. YOu should be fighting for Bellator. Not the UFC, or Strikeforce.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.