UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Where did the Lone Ranger take his garbage?

10/2/12 11:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 11:13 AM

Gyorgy Cziffra's improvs around Rossini's William Tell Overture.

10/2/12 10:34 PM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 11:05 PM
1). To be able to play that is incredible
2). To be able to transcribe something like that is more incredible
3). To be able to improvise something like this is height of musical ability.

Horowitz did some incredible transcriptions. I think Horowitz and Art Tatum were friends and really respected each other's playing. I think it was Horowitz that said, "If I don't practice for one day, I will know it. If I don't practice for two days, my wife will know it, and if I don't practice for three days, my audience will know it."

That video is taken from the awesome documentary The Art of Piano:

10/2/12 11:48 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/03/12 12:52 AM
That whole series of "Art of Piano" is something special. Even in the portraits of pianists I'm not super crazy about! (Says the guy who has no business disrespecting ANY of those cats, by the way - just some things I like more than others).

I have a great recording of Tatum, Radio Transcriptions. There's a story of Horowitz and his mentor, Rachmaninoff, going to hear Tatum. The quote, one or the other leaned to his friend and said 'If this man decided to play serious music, we'd both be in serious trouble!".
10/3/12 12:18 AM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/03/12 12:31 AM
Ali - I have a great recording of Tatum, Radio Transcriptions. There's a story of Horowitz and his mentor, Rachmaninoff, going to hear Tatum. The quote, one or the other leaned to his friend and said 'If this man decided to play serious music, we'd both be in serius trouble!".

LOL, now that is an awesome quote. Probably like the rock and roll version when Clapton, Page and Beck were watching Jimi Hendrix for the first time and were thinking...oh shit!
10/3/12 1:12 PM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for later, thanks guys.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.