UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> ?'s about competing in Master's Division 2013

10/2/12 12:38 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My New Year's resolution for 2013 is to compete frequently and often,culminating with participating in the Pan Ams.

I train at a school that isn't competition focused, so I would be undertaking this primarily on my own as far as traveling to tournaments etc.

The main questions I have are:

1. What are the "major" tournaments I should look to compete in to build up experience and be prepared for Pan Ams? I realize local tournaments and NAGA events are the obvious ones but what are considered the main jiu jitsu tournaments during a calender year.

2. Are Master's Divisions typically larger or smaller than the regular divisions?

3.At 31 am I required to enter Master's or am I able to join the regular adult divisions?

4. Generally speaking, how many competitors are in a Master's Division? I look at the results and see the first , second and third place finishers but how many matches did they have to reach the finals? I realize this number fluctuates but I am speaking more on average.

If anyone has any tips or insights to competing as a 31 year old in the master's division I would appreciate it as well.

I will also be competing in a tournament in November that is held by NABJJF. It is sort of a "testing the waters" tournament for me.

Thanks guys ( and gals) and sorry for the FRAT.
10/2/12 1:01 PM
ChokeUBJJ
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are usually less competitors in a masters division than an adult. How many? Depends on the tournament and the division. What is your belt rank?

You don't have to enter a masters division. You can always do adult. Phone Post
10/2/12 1:06 PM
shoudawhouda
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am only a blue belt which I understand is the most saturated division at most tournaments.

My goal besides the obvious,to attain my purple belt is to really get some experience as a competitor at the blue belt level and see how I match up against people I do not frequently roll against and know their game.

10/2/12 1:07 PM
bgup619
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shoudawhouda - My New Year's resolution for 2013 is to compete frequently and often,culminating with participating in the Pan Ams.

I train at a school that isn't competition focused, so I would be undertaking this primarily on my own as far as traveling to tournaments etc.

1. What are the "major" tournaments I should look to compete in to build up experience and be prepared for Pan Ams? I realize local tournaments and NAGA events are the obvious ones but what are considered the main jiu jitsu tournaments during a calender year.

2. Are Master's Divisions typically larger or smaller than the regular divisions?

3.At 31 am I required to enter Master's or am I able to join the regular adult divisions?

4. Generally speaking, how many competitors are in a Master's Division? I look at the results and see the first , second and third place finishers but how many matches did they have to reach the finals? I realize this number fluctuates but I am speaking more on average.

If anyone has any tips or insights to competing as a 31 year old in the master's division I would appreciate it as well.

I will also be competing in a tournament in November that is held by NABJJF. It is sort of a "testing the waters" tournament for me.

More information is really needed to give you better feedback for your questions. 1. Where are you geographically? 2. what belt are you. 3. what weight.

Ill answer some of your other questions though:

2. size of masters div vs seniors depends greatly on your belt level. for example at the non major IBJJF events at purple there was always more adults than masters or seniors. At brown its actually around the same amount. I compete at featherweight, but have gone up as high as middle.

3. you can register at your age or lower, its up to you. I jump from senior one, down to masters and sometimes adult. Did adult at south bay open got third, senior 1 in vegas got second did masters at nationals got second. All this year, time limit does play a factor. 8 min is a long time when your use to 5.

4. this swings a ton between weights and belts.. could have one match could have 4. I usually register at my age group and weight and if no one else is in my group when it closes (IBJJF) Ill jump down to masters or adult. The Pans will have huge masters and seniors div in every belt. Last year I did Purple senior 1 middle and had a 22 man bracket (third).

-Just get in there and go for it.. the exeperience is worth it. as far as your academy goes just wait, if you start competing al the time a coup[le of guys will start asking about it and next thing you know youve founded the "comp team" at your place. My only other peice of advice for you is HAVE FUN!!! If competing isnt fun for you then dont bother, its not worth it,win or lose I awlays have fun and love meeting people from all over..Good luck

-Sorry for FRAT
10/2/12 1:12 PM
shoudawhouda

Edited: 10/02/12 3:18 PM
bgup619 thanks for your response.

I am in Dallas, Texas

I am blue belt.

I currently weigh 168 but I am still losing weight. I originally received my blue belt in 2009, stopped jiu jitsu for personal reasons until about two months ago. Two months ago I was 184. I run daily and am trying to get to class four times a week but I make two times for sure.

I don't plan on stopping again. Had some personal issues to sort through and now they are behind me.
10/2/12 1:22 PM
bgup619
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So you sound like a lightweight.. Id personally would hit everything in Tx and just look for the biggest divisions for experience. At the Dallas and any other IBJJF event do masters you have good sized divisons. Good luck and let us know how you do at NABJJF event next month!!
10/2/12 2:19 PM
allchokedup
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im 145 have competed up to 165 masters in dallas. My first comp I was 31 and competed at naga in adult no-gi beginner(165lbs) there were 4 other guys in the division. I competed at europa as a blue belt masters(145) and there were only 2 other competitors in divison. I recently competed at naga in no-gi expert (masters 145lbs)and there were 2 other guys in my divison. I think there were more guys in the masters purple at naga. If you look on the naga site you can see the winners and if there were at least 3 competitors.
There is actually a good sub only tourny coming up oct 20th. From the looks of it there are no age restrictions,just adult. What gym do you train out of? I am out of Reyes BJj in irving.
10/2/12 2:31 PM
shoudawhouda

allchokedup - im 145 have competed up to 165 masters in dallas. My first comp I was 31 and competed at naga in adult no-gi beginner(165lbs) there were 4 other guys in the division. I competed at europa as a blue belt masters(145) and there were only 2 other competitors in divison. I recently competed at naga in no-gi expert (masters 145lbs)and there were 2 other guys in my divison. I think there were more guys in the masters purple at naga. If you look on the naga site you can see the winners and if there were at least 3 competitors.
There is actually a good sub only tourny coming up oct 20th. From the looks of it there are no age restrictions,just adult. What gym do you train out of? I am out of Reyes BJj in irving.

Are you competing in the tournament on October 20th? I am already training for the NABJJF Nationals on November 17th otherwise I would give it some thought. October 20th just seems too close!

http://www.nabjjf.com/index.php/component/content/article/12-tournament/53-nabjjf-nationals

Do you plan on doing that one as well? How often do you compete?

I train under Jeff Hennen in Mesquite but we are about to move to Forney and will have a second location in Sunnyvale.
10/2/12 2:44 PM
hockey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

At the PANS you will have more than the normal masters d at Naga,look at the over 30 mundials this sunday they closed the registration 2 weeks early!
10/2/12 2:46 PM
shoudawhouda

I stumbled across a blog post that claimed 120 competitors in one division!

10/2/12 2:50 PM
allchokedup
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice, my coach is also a MOhler BB.
I compete every couple of years. NOt as often as i would like but I have 2 sons and a wife that compete also so more often than not I would rather watch them. PLus its just to hectic for all of us to do one tourny and of course $.

Yes, i plan on doing the sub only tourny. PUrple belt 140-160 lbs.
My son has done the Nabjjf tourny and it was nice and well organized. They weigh you right before you hit the mat with gi on so be prepaired.
We dont have a "competiton" team really. If you just let the coach know you plan doing a tourny he will match you up with the monsters over and over during a class.
Are you from the mesquite area? I lived there as a kid and teen. Went to vanston middle school
10/2/12 3:20 PM
shoudawhouda

Awesome that both your wife and sons are involved in Jiu Jitsu as well.

I actually grew up in Southern California and moved to Rowlett as a teenager. I currently live in North Dallas but travel to Mesquite to train with Jeff.

Thanks for all of your input, I may come check out the tournament on the 20th as a spectator. Just to get a feel for the way things work.

10/2/12 3:30 PM
allchokedup

anytime!
11/20/12 5:41 PM
shoudawhouda

If anyone was curious how I did, I finished second and took home silver at the NABJJF tournament on Saturday.

Just posting an update for those who remember this thread.

Next competition is December 15th NAGA

if you see this post allchokedup, how did you do at the tournament in October?
11/20/12 5:51 PM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shoudawhouda - Kinda off topic, but how do you like training at your present school?

My friend lives in Forney, and may look to stop by the new location (he already trains, but has to drive a bit as there is nothing in Forney...until now)
11/20/12 5:53 PM
allchokedup

i did not get to compete. Going to have to wait till after christmas before i can.
Thats great for you man! GI or NO-gi? how many guys did you have in bracket? What belt level are you competing at?what weight class?
11/20/12 5:53 PM
ano8tsixxx

Congrats man!
11/20/12 8:13 PM
shoudawhouda

kying418 - shoudawhouda - Kinda off topic, but how do you like training at your present school?

My friend lives in Forney, and may look to stop by the new location (he already trains, but has to drive a bit as there is nothing in Forney...until now)

I love training at my present school. I started with Jeff back in 2008 and got my blue belt from him in 2009. I took a few years off for personal reasons but I have been training back with him for a few months. He is a really great coach and is known for being very technical. Teaching comes naturally to him because he is also a musician and drum teacher.

Our school that closed in Mesquite combined with the classes he was already teaching in Forney so we have a pretty good group of guys. We have a great core group of senior belts and now we have a lot of new white belts as well.

We also have classes just a few exits down in Sunnyvale on Wednesday nights and Saturdays which is open mat. The best night for your friend to come would probably be Tuesday nights, it is when we seem to have the most people show up.

The website was recently updated with new class times it is

www.drumjitsu.com

If your friend comes by tell him to introduce himself and let me know who he is. My name is Ron. We are always happy to welcome new faces even if they just want to drop in a few times a month.

Where is your friend training now?
11/20/12 8:15 PM
shoudawhouda

allchokedup - i did not get to compete. Going to have to wait till after christmas before i can.
Thats great for you man! GI or NO-gi? how many guys did you have in bracket? What belt level are you competing at?what weight class?

Sorry to hear that!

I did only GI this time, Master's Blue belt 154- 167.5

There were only two other guys in my division. That was kind of a bummer and I guess it takes away from my accomplishment a bit but I was still stoked on the whole experience.

11/20/12 8:16 PM
shoudawhouda

ano8tsixxx - Congrats man!

Thanks!
11/20/12 10:15 PM
kying418
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shoudawhouda - 
kying418 - shoudawhouda - Kinda off topic, but how do you like training at your present school?

I love training at my present school. I started with Jeff back in 2008 and got my blue belt from him in 2009. I took a few years off for personal reasons but I have been training back with him for a few months. He is a really great coach and is known for being very technical. Teaching comes naturally to him because he is also a musician and drum teacher.

Our school that closed in Mesquite combined with the classes he was already teaching in Forney so we have a pretty good group of guys. We have a great core group of senior belts and now we have a lot of new white belts as well.

We also have classes just a few exits down in Sunnyvale on Wednesday nights and Saturdays which is open mat. The best night for your friend to come would probably be Tuesday nights, it is when we seem to have the most people show up.

The website was recently updated with new class times it is

www.drumjitsu.com

If your friend comes by tell him to introduce himself and let me know who he is. My name is Ron. We are always happy to welcome new faces even if they just want to drop in a few times a month.

Where is your friend training now?

Thanks for the info Ron!

My friend's name is Jeremy and he trains out of the Marcelo Garcia Dallas Association in downtown Dallas.

I will pass along the information to him. I really appreciate it!
11/21/12 8:49 AM
allchokedup

shoudawhouda - 
allchokedup - i did not get to compete. Going to have to wait till after christmas before i can.

Sorry to hear that!

I did only GI this time, Master's Blue belt 154- 167.5

There were only two other guys in my division. That was kind of a bummer and I guess it takes away from my accomplishment a bit but I was still stoked on the whole experience.

cool man, maybe we will meet up in a tourney one of these days!
11/21/12 8:53 AM
Judo Scott
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shoudawhouda - My New Year's resolution for 2013 is to compete frequently and often,culminating with participating in the Pan Ams.

>>>> 1. What are the "major" tournaments I should look to compete in to build up experience and be prepared for Pan Ams?

Just go to everyone you can afford. You're not trying to build up points for qualifiers or anything.

>>>> 2. Are Master's Divisions typically larger or smaller than the regular divisions?

Smaller. In my area masters division is a bit of a joke. I have competed and lost and gotten third place. For local tournaments just compete adult besides man you're 31 you are in your prime provided you take care of yourself.

>>>> 3.At 31 am I required to enter Master's or am I able to join the regular adult divisions?

You can do adult if you wish. One thing I personally don't like about masters is the 5 minute time limit. If you get behind on points its hard to make up anything in that time frame.

>>>> 4. Generally speaking, how many competitors are in a Master's Division? I look at the results and see the first , second and third place finishers but how many matches did they have to reach the finals? I realize this number fluctuates but I am speaking more on average.

Like I said before depends but its pretty silly a lot of the time. Compete in adult man. At 39 the only difference I have noticed for me is I have lost a little on my reaction time the last few years.

My 2nd and 3rd round cardio problems are my fault for not working on it.

11/21/12 9:16 PM
shiki31

Train harder than you think you should. Learn the IBJJF rules inside and out. Practice a lot from standing position (takedowns, sprawling and pulling guard). Beware the adrenaline dump. Take in the experience. Have fun. Phone Post
11/22/12 1:12 AM
hiptosser

Edited: 11/22/12 1:15 AM
I know a 38 year old oldy who hides out in masters divisions because he doesn't have endurance for more than 2 or 3 matches but enough to gas to use to deliver an old man strength fueled smashing rampage on unsuspecting 31 yolds.So be even more prepared for masters you don't want to get bulldogged by OMS, especially if a lot of guys are in the division.
I have been to tourneys where you get forced into masters before and masters combined into the adult due the lack competitors.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.