UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> How Weidman and GSP use their Underhook

10/2/12 4:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/02/12 4:30 PM

A number of you several months back were discussing utilizing an underhook into a single leg for submission grappling and MMA. I wanted to create a breakdown of some of the techniques to help clarify the technical points.

There are MANY variations of this technique (underhook to single leg), this particular example is effective in both wrestling and MMA. Here is what Kody Hamrah (NCAA D1 Qual, ACC Champ) prefers. Frankie Edgar used a similar technique against Benson Henderson multiple times in their second title fight.

One adjustment you MUST make for submission grappling is to secure the leg once it is up. It is much easier to turn and kick out without shoes on. Now, go drill and get better! 

10/2/12 4:29 PM
EdgeHoboken
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I dont know if the embed is working, if not ..

10/3/12 2:45 PM
ChipW
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool!  Do you ever hit a knee pick from that underhook?   if so, when would you  go for the knee pick rather than the single?  thanks. 

10/9/12 10:47 AM
Jorx
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For knee pick you have to be closer as you attack the other leg. Directions and body positioning are different.
10/20/12 6:58 PM
Soul Gravy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sub
10/20/12 9:14 PM
EdgeHoboken

Chip, sorry for the delay in response. Kody and I were in Costa Rica training the guys at Athletic Advance..what a sick place to train, those guys truely train in paradise. Talented team, too.

I will work on getting up a new video for you of the knee pick series from underhook this week.  Chael utilizes the knee pick from an underhook position uber well, one of his more effective takedowns. He has some good stuff from here.

Jorx is right, your hips must be closer and headed in a different direction for a knee pick.  You can use your single leg to set up your knee pick- actually I prefer if you do!  If your opponent steps out of the single leg with his inside leg, you are in perfect position to readjust and run across into your knee pick. Video to come by Friday.  

Thanks for the sub soul

JP

10/21/12 9:05 PM
Kostakio
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool. I set up my singles also with an underhook but I picked up something I like from this video. Thank you. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.