UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> When did people stop moving feet during padwork?

10/2/12 9:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
GladiatorGannon
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When did people stop moving their feet during padwork? I'm not even talking advanced off angle movement, I'm talking the basic mechanics of turning your body into a punch.

I've been seeing more and more people doing this (or rather, not doing it) and it's driving me nuts.

Not even an attempt to throw with proper form. I'm seeing it from multiple people/programs too.

Are people just getting so much into padwork as a conditioning tool that they forget it has another purpose? I'm seeing it a lot in gritty conditioning drills, but I think people are forgetting that they're training themselves to throw with bad mechanics whenever they're tired...which just means expending more energy for less power. Terrible habits.
10/3/12 6:45 AM
Skpotamus
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's one of my biggest peeves in training.
I see it all the time with the heavy bag too, it's like a pad gets put in front of them and their feet get stuck in cement......

People focus too much on hitting the pads, and not enough on getting into position to hit without getting hit back.

I think it also has a lot to do with many people not knowing how to hold properly. How many times do you see someone hold the pads up way out if front of them, with no resistance? Or hold both pads up for a 1-2 with the pads three feet apart? I've seen lots of pad holders not even in fighting stances, just standing upright holding the pads with a bored look on their face.
A good padwork session should look like a sparring session. Both people moving in and out, circling, etc, with the pad holder calling out shots and combos as well as sending things back to the "striker" so they can work defense and counters simultaneously. If both people aren't sweating by the end, then the pad holder wasn't doing their job IMHO.

YMMV.
10/13/12 1:28 PM
soreshins
220 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Skpotamus - That's one of my biggest peeves in training.
I see it all the time with the heavy bag too, it's like a pad gets put in front of them and their feet get stuck in cement......

People focus too much on hitting the pads, and not enough on getting into position to hit without getting hit back.

I think it also has a lot to do with many people not knowing how to hold properly. How many times do you see someone hold the pads up way out if front of them, with no resistance? Or hold both pads up for a 1-2 with the pads three feet apart? I've seen lots of pad holders not even in fighting stances, just standing upright holding the pads with a bored look on their face.
A good padwork session should look like a sparring session. Both people moving in and out, circling, etc, with the pad holder calling out shots and combos as well as sending things back to the "striker" so they can work defense and counters simultaneously. If both people aren't sweating by the end, then the pad holder wasn't doing their job IMHO.

YMMV.
My god this. Basic pad holding should be taught in all beginners classes. Phone Post
10/16/12 8:59 PM
Sugarfoot
142 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been doing BJJ for the last year and have my first KickBoxing class next week at Matt Mitriones gym. You guys got any advice for a rookie? Other than do not spar with Meathead, lol. Phone Post
10/17/12 3:42 AM
mikegoldberghasgrownonme
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

im really happy you pointed this out, i have fallen in this habit myself. I will keep this in my mind future pad sessions
10/19/12 2:37 AM
BrunoMcGyver
281 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I did MT earlier this year I had a problem standing still as pad holder. I really wanted to hold the pads rght and get them in the right place for my partner to get them that I focussed too much on moving them to the right spot instead of moving around until I was partnerred with a more advanced who just said "Mate, don't be a statue, when I move you move, you should move to make me move too." Was fair enough too methinks.
10/27/12 10:41 PM
ehtko
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

YouTube:http://youtu.be/VprZQy1QTq4. Footwork is great Phone Post
12/19/12 1:07 PM
muaythai1622
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Power in punches and kicks mean nothing w/o footwork and movement Phone Post
12/19/12 5:38 PM
GladiatorGannon
301 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

muaythai1622 -  Power in punches and kicks mean nothing w/o footwork and movement Phone Post

Sadly, I'm not even talking about power without footwork, I'm talking about not even turning your feet with the punch, so they don't have power either.
12/19/12 7:18 PM
Skpotamus
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon - 
muaythai1622 -  Power in punches and kicks mean nothing w/o footwork and movement Phone Post

Sadly, I'm not even talking about power without footwork, I'm talking about not even turning your feet with the punch, so they don't have power either.

Damn, sounds like they might as well be doing Taebo....
12/20/12 9:59 AM
muaythai1622
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why bother then? Phone Post
12/20/12 1:09 PM
ashadel
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice post, that was a slick video. Guys movement was great.
1/11/13 10:34 AM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

muaythai1622 - Why bother then? Phone Post
It gets a good sweat going bro Phone Post
1/11/13 12:16 PM
GladiatorGannon

Salokcin69 - 

I think people are getting TOO into the value of pads as a conditioning tool, and forgetting that if they actively train people to use bad form for whenever they get tired, it's going to cost them when it matters most.
1/18/13 5:59 PM
Somerville Bad Boy
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Where are you seeing it? Whoever is doing that needs to be retaught how to hold pads.
1/18/13 7:08 PM
Salokcin69
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GladiatorGannon -
Salokcin69 - 

I think people are getting TOO into the value of pads as a conditioning tool, and forgetting that if they actively train people to use bad form for whenever they get tired, it's going to cost them when it matters most.
Oh I know, I was jut kidding.. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.