UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Zappa guitar solo - Watermelon in Easter Hay

10/3/12 2:14 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/03/12 2:27 AM

Jimmy talked about not "getting" FZ, in part because of the singing/playing stuff. And often I think the cynical veneer, or some of the lowbrow humor, got in the way, too. But here's an instrumental, and I think just a really gorgeous display of guitar playing. From the last tour he did, 1988, Barcelona. A ridiculously good band, but this performance is mostly about Zappa's own guitar solo.
>
Anyway... I wish there were more of this kind of thing available.
10/3/12 2:17 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another one I dig -- embedding is disabled -- is the version of Chunga's Revenge found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLYZcjlSXo&feature=related
10/3/12 10:02 AM
jman
534 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool haven't heard "Watermelon in Easter Hay" in a while good stuff (didn't realize it was in 9/4 meter...flows so smoothly).
10/3/12 10:47 AM
hugomma
900 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is one of my favorite examples of Zappa's guitar playing.  

10/23/12 4:37 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was just trying to think of my favorite FZ guitar piece to add here, when I realized these clips pretty much say everything.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.