UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Mitsuoka, Omigawa, Walel Watson cut by UFC

10/3/12 9:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Card
2321 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/content/news/17274-more-cuts-from-ufc-roster

and Tommy Hayden.

10/3/12 9:51 AM
Brigham
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Boooo Omigawa always brings it too :-( Phone Post
10/3/12 10:01 AM
OnlyTheStrongSurvive
586 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brigham - Boooo Omigawa always brings it too :-( Phone Post
Im surprised they never had him fight some up and comers or guys from tuf. Phone Post
10/3/12 10:02 AM
Jsteven
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks I liked omigawa Phone Post
10/3/12 10:06 AM
Tomato Can
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mitsuoka was a nonsensical signing anyway, he is at least 3 years past his brief prime and is basically a can now.

Omigawa deserved another fight. Yea a 1-4 UFC record looks shitty but he had a lot of really tough matchups.

Hayden was clearly not ready for the big leagues. Watson fared a little better but 3 straight losses for a prospect-level fighter is almost always gonna lead to a cut.
10/3/12 10:10 AM
UGCTT_FryedTakayama
868 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks to see Omigawa go. ONE FC should sign him. Phone Post
10/3/12 10:25 AM
Fight! UK Online
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

With everyone else that it sucks about Omigawa given the guys he fought and some of the close decisions he lost.

10/3/12 10:38 AM
Nexuscrawlers
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jsteven - Sucks I liked omigawa Phone Post
This. Phone Post
10/3/12 10:53 AM
Uncle Muay Thai
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feared it was kong Watson at first, then I opened the thread. Phone Post
10/3/12 11:07 AM
Tomato Can
143 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Upperbutt - 
Tomato Can - Mitsuoka was a nonsensical signing anyway, he is at least 3 years past his brief prime and is basically a can now.

Omigawa deserved another fight. Yea a 1-4 UFC record looks shitty but he had a lot of really tough matchups.

Hayden was clearly not ready for the big leagues. Watson fared a little better but 3 straight losses for a prospect-level fighter is almost always gonna lead to a cut.

1-6.

Yes technically, but those first 2 fights were years ago and above his natural weight class.

He only lost to very high level guys. I feel pretty confident that if he fought Nam Phan, Jim Hettes, or Jon Brookins, that those would all still be 50/50 fights.
10/3/12 12:23 PM
hendofanforlife
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cant really argue with these cuts. Need to make room for noobs somehow.
10/3/12 12:30 PM
caposa
1834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Omigawa was a tough fight for anyone they put him against and he was robbed in that Elkins fight. Can't really argue with any of these cuts though

10/3/12 1:05 PM
Kobayashi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Uncle Muay Thai - I feared it was kong Watson at first, then I opened the thread. Phone Post
Me too, glad it wasn't - close decision loss - lots more to offer. Phone Post
10/3/12 1:22 PM
stevia's sex slave
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, I guess I'm not surprised but I'm definitely pissed they cut Omigawa. His last fight against Manny was awesome too. Phone Post
10/3/12 1:39 PM
Chris27

Not surprised about Omigawa, he was basically a bust. People had high hopes for him in the FW div and it didnt work out.

He will be ok though, OneFC will pick him up.
10/3/12 1:55 PM
EckY
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - 
Upperbutt - 
Tomato Can - Mitsuoka was a nonsensical signing anyway, he is at least 3 years past his brief prime and is basically a can now.

1-6.

Yes technically, but those first 2 fights were years ago and above his natural weight class.

He only lost to very high level guys. I feel pretty confident that if he fought Nam Phan, Jim Hettes, or Jon Brookins, that those would all still be 50/50 fights.

He fought Nam Phan in Sengoku and smoked him.

10/3/12 1:58 PM
NorthFromHere
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com

UFC FW needs some fresh blood with all the veterans and former lightweight filling the division.

#2 Euro FW Tom "Stoneface" Niinimäki (17-5, on a 8 fight streak) would be an awesome signing.

10/3/12 2:00 PM
Chris27

NorthFromHere - 

UFC FW needs some fresh blood with all the veterans and former lightweight filling the division.

#2 Euro FW Tom "Stoneface" Niinimäki (17-5, on a 8 fight streak) would be an awesome signing.

I am still surprised he hasnt been signed yet.

I want the UFC to sign Stoneface and Doo Ho Choi.
10/3/12 2:08 PM
Tomato Can

Edited: 10/03/12 2:09 PM
I bet Doo Ho Choi ends up in the UFC eventually.

Would really love for them to sign Kawajiri. He's getting a little old but I'd like to see him get a shot at some elite FWs before he retires, and I don't think OneFC can offer him that. Takaya would be cool too but doesn't really excite me quite as much.
10/3/12 2:20 PM
stevia's sex slave
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tomato Can - I bet Doo Ho Choi ends up in the UFC eventually.

Would really love for them to sign Kawajiri. He's getting a little old but I'd like to see him get a shot at some elite FWs before he retires, and I don't think OneFC can offer him that. Takaya would be cool too but doesn't really excite me quite as much.
Kawajiri would smash some featherweights IMO. I'd love to see it. Phone Post
10/3/12 2:23 PM
Chris27

Yeah of course I'd love to see Crusher in the UFC but considering he is with OneFC it doesnt look like thats gonna happen anytime soon.

What about Miyata and Hellboy?
10/3/12 2:32 PM
NorthFromHere
320 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMAViking.com

Hellboy is fighting in Shoot Boxing S-Cup next

10/3/12 3:48 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, though Omigawa went 1-4 upon his return as a FW and should have been 2-3 by most accounts, that's still not impressive. He has been a complete bust imo coming back as a FW and a pretty disappointing one at that. Elkins and Young were 2 guys he absolutely should have been able to beat and dominate/finish if he were to remotely establish himself as a top guy. Yeah, sure, he was robbed by most accounts by Elkins but it wasnt dominant as should have been imo and was not dominant enough against Young either.

Manny and Alcantara were even or good matchups that he should have been game enough for and would have been good Ws to have. Didnt see either of them, believe he was said to have possibly tapped vs Alcantara though not sure if its was conclusive and got dominated otherwise. I think the Manny fight was competitive (and pretty similar in matchup against 2 short, powerful judo guys with good striking power but not much in the way of striking finesse).

Mendes was a good run to the title and he is still regarded as a top guy so not that disappointing there (he did have Chad in a good armbar) and was putting the pressure on him late but Mendes was still able to outwork Omi where/when it counted.

Good point on him TKOing Nam Phan back in WVR in Japan. Also worth noting that he came back flying high as a FW contender back to the UFC largely because of 2 very favourable decisions against Sandro and Hioki - 2 fights that I dont think anyone thought he won.

I do think he has been disappointing and an unfullfilled talent though as he is a strong FW (stronger than most japanese fighters), has a good grappling base from judo. He was actually I believe one of the top guys in his weight in Japan at some point and also had a good ground game in judo but never really put it too good use in MMA. He has striking power and a helluva chin and is tough but he had that weird poor man's peek-a-boo boxing that just left him plodding and grinding away in the wrong way I thought.

IMO, he could have employed a game like Randy too good effect - strong in the clinch, good striking power and uppercuts at close range, put his judo/clinch tds to work then work the GNP to a TKO or sub but like most Japanese fighters (like the talented Akiyama) just did not put it together at all.

Mitsuoka was not really worth the sign up in the first place.
10/3/12 3:53 PM
Wasa-B
334 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Regarding both Kawajiri and Hansen, i think their times have passed. They are def not in their primes anymore i dont think - def not Hansen and though Kawajiri i think could have def been a force in the UFC FW div, i think its too late now. Kawajiri signed to One FC and probably the right place to ride out his career. I think had he cut to FW earlier and trained and climatized himself to the cage a few years earlier, i think he could have been a decent contender in the UFC FW div but the game is moving fwd so fast right now and though he is a pretty rounded fighter and unusually strong for a Japanese fighter, i still think the game (to be a top 5 guy in the UFC FW div) has probably passed him by now.

Like Aoki though, he is def a lot better than he showed in his only major American fight against Gil. He looked terrible and completely lost. Remember that he had a very close bout vs Gil the first time in Pride and had just beaten Josh Thomson (who had a very close trilogy with Gil) prior to his SF fight but showed probably only a small fraction of what he was capable of. Gil did prepare well though, throwing those knees in the clinch to prevent Kawa's vice clinch grips.
10/3/12 4:15 PM
NorthFromHere

MMAViking.com
Speaking of Jason Young (1-3 in the UFC) it seems pretty likely that he be will also cut after losing to Peralta last Saturday.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.