UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Anyone spearfish? TME

10/4/12 2:17 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Resolute
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Asking for the collective wisdom of the OG.

1. Do freediving flippers (long, parabolic) make a difference?

2. I travel alot, and I'm thinking of buying a JBL Travel Magnum. Does anyone have experience with it?

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Travel-Magnum-Speargun-4D46TC/dp/B0078F16Q2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1349331369&sr=8-7&keywords=jbl+magnum+travel

Thanks in advance.
10/4/12 11:58 AM
wheeels
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do, but I'm in western Canada and do it in lakes, so I'm not diving down.. just work my way slowly over weed beds, so I have no opinion on the flippers. I'm currently using a Mares pneumatic, but would buy a small rail gun (Mako, etc) next time.
10/7/12 9:12 PM
Byrd
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I polespear.. spears with triggers are illegal here.

longer fins are a must. if you got the money check out riffe. if money is an issue look into mako, they have a nice freediving set that is fairly priced. stay away from the travel kits imo.
10/10/12 3:25 AM
catch waves
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey mate,

I'm from Western Australia and have been freedive spearfishing here most of my life, spend most weekends in the water. It's awesome fun, very addictive! Happy to give you any advice you need just ask away.

Both your questions depend on what sort of diving you'll be doing. Will you be in freshwater lakes or out in the ocean? Will you be diving from a boat offshore or will you be doing shore dives from the beach?

Long freediving flippers make a big differance for offshore diving in deeper depths but they can be a real pain in the ass if you're diving from the shore in shallow water around lots of reef.

Same thing with gun selection, you're going to want a short maneuverable gun for hunting in shallow chasing fish at close quarters but that same gun is going to lack range, power and accuracy if you take it out deeper chasing bigger fish in more open water. There's also the argument of pneumatic, rubber or pole spear which again they all have pro's / cons depending on where you're diving and what you're targetting.

The other thing to take into consideration is Shallow Water Blackout and diving with a buddy. It's something you want to really read up on if you're planning on doing any freediving at all, especially if you'll be diving solo a lot of the time. If you head out diving solo not knowing much about it there's a real risk of suffering a blackout and with nobody watching your dive to save you its claimed a lot of even very experienced divers.

Don't let that put you off though cause by diving with a buddy and both watching each other taking turns going one up one down and having proper rest between dives its possible to almost completely remove any risk whatsoever. Diving solo is always a little risky but just being aware of how and why SWB occurs will help keep you diving safely and within your limits.

Hope some of that helps to point you in the right direction man! You'll be hooked after one good dive :)

2/14/14 12:31 PM
Resolute
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks so much. Shot my first fish last week and it was fantastic. Going out again here. Thanks for all your input. Anyone have any pics of their fish?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.