UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Greg Howe - Improvisation tips

10/4/12 10:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/04/12 10:29 AM

Greg Howe is one of my favorite players for sure. Some great advice in this video:

10/4/12 11:00 AM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/04/12 11:10 AM
Cool lesson. Howe is a beast -- I saw him at a show a couple years ago at the time NAMM was happening, and he was hilarious about having to deal with NAMM, talking about being jealous of those of us who didn't have passes! IIRC, he got recommended to Michael Jackson by Jennifer Batten when she went on to do other things (or was it the other way around? I think that's how it went). I have to go to work it being morning in Cali. So I didn't see the whole thing, but some good things right away toward the beginning. The first thing he says about getting yourself out of ruts or habits reminded me of Wayne Krantz, who did an instructional book called An Improvsier's OS (mind you, this book is useless to people like me, who would need to practice more to get INTO the habits that Krantz and Howe would talk about getting out of, later!). I know that Krantz is a very different sort of player than Howe, absolutely. But just talking getting yourself out of familiar licks or habits, Krantz' says of his book "Its basic premise is that pattern playing can ultimately limit the growth of one's skills as a creative improviser. Since most of us rely heavily on patterns to find notes, alternative means of finding notes must be used to overcome our pattern dependency". You can check out his salemanship at http://www.waynekrantz.com/book/

There's a lesson on how chordal improvising is ... the same thing as single note improvising... for a hint of Krantz' own approach:

And I like this bit about playing a melody on a single string, and then filling in notes that Frisell talks about at the beginning of this section:

10/4/12 11:11 AM
jman
441 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow Rainman on guitar, awesome!

Sorry brah...back on topic:

10/4/12 11:15 AM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/04/12 11:20 AM
That's so funny! (and a bit mean!) Frisell's presentation, his inarticulateness and often his sheer bewilderment... yeah, "rain man" !!!! The guy consistently produces some of my favorite music. And I thought the exercise of having to stick to a single string for melodic work was on topic -- getting out of familiar patterns, at least.

I edited in some more, with the Krantz, btw, since prior posting. And I'll be late now, because of your second Howe posting... (it's not MY fault, I'll explain to my boss... but this interesting guitar player guy in Taiwan... made me late... )
10/4/12 11:24 AM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for this weekend, thanks guys!

10/4/12 11:26 AM
Ali

Edited: 10/04/12 11:52 AM
You've got Monder to catch up on this weekend, Hugo.

And here's a live clip of that Krantz guy, too:
'

No video here, but I think Howe is killing on this cover of Stevie Wonder -- and showing some of that "getting away from habitual licks" skill:

10/4/12 11:59 AM
hugomma
834 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - You've got Monder to catch up on this weekend, Hugo.

And here's a live clip of that Krantz guy, too:
'

No video here, but I think Howe is killing on this cover of Stevie Wonder -- and showing some of that "getting away from habitual licks" skill:

Yes - Monder, Lane, Howe, Keneally, & now friggin' Wayne Krantz.  It's wonderful problem to have :-)

Just startting to feel better, the damn penicillin & the strep had my ass kicked for the past few days.  I would gladly stay up late watching as much of this as possible tonight, but Mike Watt + The Missingmen are here tonight.  Recovering from strep or not, I'm there.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.