UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Frank Shamrock details struggle with alcoholism

10/4/12 3:38 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

The simple business transaction between ZUFFA and Strikeforce turned out to be at least one factor in Frank Shamrock's recent struggle with alcoholism.

"I can’t pin my drinking issues on the sale of Strikeforce," he said. "It’s a genetic disease I've been fighting my whole life. But that was certainly the pinnacle of coming to the realization I shouldn't be out drinking. But I think it's because I fought so hard, and we had fought so hard against the unbeatable adversary, the UFC. I had so much personally invested in the vision or the dream or the chance of Strikeforce. It was my whole life. I didn't have another life. That’s all that I did. This whole experience and journey saved my life. It was a dark day. It was honestly a dark day when it was sold."

While at that time, Shamrock was best known as a Strikeforce commentator on the Showtime broadcasts, he said he was much more deeply invested in the promotion than that surface role. He was a spokesman, a brand consultant, and previously, he was a main event headliner.

"I always thought that the barrier of me not being an alcoholic or having problems was not wrecking a car, killing somebody or drunk driving, " he said. "I thought if you weren't doing that, you were just fine. It turns out, I had a problem for years."

Shamrock has since addressed the problem through sobriety meetings, and while he still works for Showtime as an analyst, he admits that it's not easy for him to look at a company he helped build struggling under new management.

"I used to live on the streets," he said. "I ended up in a prison. I've had the worst life you could ever imagine, and now I'm living the best life you could ever imagine. I mean, I rarely leave my house unless a limo pulls up. The world I live in is vastly different than what other people are living in. It’s a dream."

Read entire article...

10/4/12 3:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ludelow
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guy needs to do some closure on the UFC thing what happend 10 years ago, close the book and move on!
10/4/12 3:52 PM
BOMDC
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad I got Frank Shamrock's take on that.

Said no one ever....
10/4/12 4:01 PM
CaptainWoody
335 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"I rarely leave my house unless a limo pulls up."

If this doesn't sound like someone who has huge delusions of who they actually are than I don't know what does.
10/4/12 4:03 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BOMDC - Glad I got Frank Shamrock's take on that.

Said no one ever....
Some of us actually respect Frank immensely and value his knowledge of martial arts. I know that's impossible for you to comprehend because you only know him as a brace face commentator, but Frank was once a giant in this sport. Show respect to the people who paved the way for the sport to exist in the capacity it exists today. Phone Post
10/4/12 4:13 PM
UGCTT_EnderTL
250 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ludelow - guy needs to do some closure on the UFC thing what happend 10 years ago, close the book and move on!

I couldn't help but think the same thing while I was reading.. I'm sure he's bummed out about putting work into Strikeforce just to have it eaten up and run into the ground, but it seems to me a lot of the motivation behind that work was to spite the UFC.

Either way, kudos to Frank for admitting he has a problem and wanting to get help with it BEFORE doing something tragic and irreversible. Much respect.

10/4/12 4:16 PM
HexRei

UGCTT_EnderTL - 
Ludelow - guy needs to do some closure on the UFC thing what happend 10 years ago, close the book and move on!

I couldn't help but think the same thing while I was reading.. I'm sure he's bummed out about putting work into Strikeforce just to have it eaten up and run into the ground, but it seems to me a lot of the motivation behind that work was to spite the UFC.

Either way, kudos to Frank for admitting he has a problem and wanting to get help with it BEFORE doing something tragic and irreversible. Much respect.

Erm... at what point could he now do something tragic and irreversible with alcohol? His career is over. He could stay drunk all day at this point and I don't think it would make a big difference in his future.
10/4/12 4:29 PM
notsobigmike
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - 

Erm... at what point could he now do something tragic and irreversible with alcohol? His career is over. He could stay drunk all day at this point and I don't think it would make a big difference in his future.

How about getting drunk and plowing into a pedestrian?

How about the myriad of potentially fatal health problems that can arise from long-term alcohol abuse?

There's a lot of serious shit you can fuck up when you're a drunk.
10/4/12 4:32 PM
HexRei

notsobigmike - 
HexRei - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - 

How about the myriad of potentially fatal health problems that can arise from long-term alcohol abuse?

Dude, Frank's like... fifty. His productive years are over. And he's wealthy enough to never drive himself anywhere again.
10/4/12 4:33 PM
Hadoukenkieran
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Said no one ever....
Some of us actually respect Frank immensely and value his knowledge of martial arts. I know that's impossible for you to comprehend because you only know him as a brace face commentator, but Frank was once a giant in this sport. Show respect to the people who paved the way for the sport to exist in the capacity it exists today. Phone Post
Agreed. Phone Post
10/4/12 4:48 PM
dentalninja
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaptainWoody - "I rarely leave my house unless a limo pulls up."

If this doesn't sound like someone who has huge delusions of who they actually are than I don't know what does.

Yeah, I thought the same thing.
10/4/12 4:59 PM
Funaki Masakatsu #1
171 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CaptainWoody - "I rarely leave my house unless a limo pulls up."

I think he threw the limo comment in there to show that he has people drive him places rather than himself going out and driving drunk. Phone Post
10/4/12 5:03 PM
rufus

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 
CaptainWoody - "I rarely leave my house unless a limo pulls up."

I think he threw the limo comment in there to show that he has people drive him places rather than himself going out and driving drunk. Phone Post

But...if he's not drinking, why can't he drive?

10/4/12 5:23 PM
12ealdeal

Hadoukenkieran -
Funaki Masakatsu #1 -

Said no one ever....
Agreed. Phone Post
Man whatever. I use to be a fan of the guy too. When he was relevant. He could have very well carried on like a mature grown adult when the light when out on his career

But why respect a guy who carries himself the way he does when he becomes irrelevant?

He is an attention whore now. Big cry baby

Like another guy said. He needs to close the book and move on.... Phone Post
10/4/12 5:33 PM
SKARHEAD
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless of course it happens to be true
10/4/12 5:40 PM
BOMDC
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 

Said no one ever....

Yes, because your opinion differs I am definitely ignorant and less knowledgeable than you. I'm not discrediting Frank's accomplishments or contributions, I think he's a disgruntled douche and is doing fine eroding any respect a lot of fans had for him on his own.

Now back to your regularly scheduled elitist and "true" MMA fan programming.
10/4/12 5:43 PM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alcoholism
Disease

Que the bud lite "here we go!!" Phone Post
10/4/12 5:47 PM
TheKidAintMine
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I thought the same thing. So, if Frank needs groceries, he calls up a limo? How much is SF paying this guy??
10/4/12 6:07 PM
G-Hands
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funaki Masakatsu #1 - 

Said no one ever....

well said
10/4/12 9:33 PM
judochopsuey

I rarely agree with Dana White in his opinions about people but I don't see why Frank deserves to be in the UFC HOF. He only bashes the organization that helped his mma career move forward and was the only reason strikeforce existed. If there was a MMA HOF then maybe he could be considered for that but not for the UFCs'. A guy who lives such a dream life needs to stop the poor me attitude and grow up. You are no longer relevant and now are coming off as more and more of a douche.
10/4/12 9:39 PM
Sprawl'n'Stall
75 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I admit I'm shocked a bit. He has such a "traditional martial artist" approach to MMA, always looks top shape, has always performed well in fights, etc. It's hard for me to imagine him struggling with alcoholism.
10/4/12 10:30 PM
Naughty Gorilla

"I use to be a fan of the guy too. When he was relevant."

Unlike you, at least he was relevant.

" If there was a MMA HOF then maybe he could be considered for that but not for the UFCs'."

Because he was a UFC legend, you twat.
10/4/12 10:45 PM
ChaosOverkill
561 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HexRei - 
notsobigmike - 
HexRei - 
UGCTT_EnderTL - 

Dude, Frank's like... fifty. His productive years are over. And he's wealthy enough to never drive himself anywhere again.

LOL @ Wealth stopping people from driving drunk

10/4/12 11:44 PM
FingerorMoon
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheKidAintMine - 

Yeah, I thought the same thing. So, if Frank needs groceries, he calls up a limo? How much is SF paying this guy??

lol it wasn't literal.

He was saying it in the context of people not feeling sorry for him or pitying him for his patch of alcohol prolbems.

It was in the context of 'yeah I had alcohol problems for a period but I'm financially set and healthy so I'm not after a pity party'

It sort of got all serious and dark so he lightened things up a bit by making a joke.

He also doesn't literally live in a bubble.

10/4/12 11:49 PM
rookie29

Jumbocrunch - Alcoholism is as much of a disease as obesity.... It's an addiction.... Which is something you choose weather it's food or liquor Phone Post
My family members used medicine and operations for their real diseases yet still died.

Alcoholics can stop drinking and they don't die. Calling it a disease is an insult to anyone who lost someone to a real disease. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.