UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Sonny Sharrock

10/6/12 2:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/06/12 2:45 PM

Yes, yet another ...

I think rock guys might like this jazz guitarist -- just the tone and his lines are real blues based and warm. He's also intense and emotionally a real handful to my ear.

Anyway, another guy that maybe those who frequent this board haven't checked out.

After a long retirement, Sonny Sharrock was coaxed into the studio to a solo record. He called it 'Guitar'. (Original no?) I believe the whole thing is done as duets with himself -- he recorded one part and then overdubbed a second, and that's it. The opening track is "Blind Willie" and it sounds like this:

"My Song" from his album Seize the Rainbow, which is more metallic. I'm picking a somewhat less aggressive song just because ... it's so good.

My favorite album of his was the last studio record, Ask the Ages. Here's one of the mellower tracks (again, just because it's a high point, not because I insist on mellow from this guy. And his "mellow" is certainly intense enough for anyone) . This slays me.

"Who Does She Hope To Be?"

That last one has Pharaoh Sanders on Sax and Elvin Jones on drums -- close to Coltrane band reunion, with Charnett Moffatt on drums and Sharrock on guitar.
10/7/12 3:15 PM
hugomma
899 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali, I own "Seize the Rainbow" & always loved "My Song".  I used to listen to it all the time when we drove through the mountains.  It was the soundtrack of my escape from Central Jersey to Boulder, CO.  A beautiful song, with very vocal-like melodies.

This Last Exit stuff - not so beautiful.  I have to be in the same mood for it that I am when I listen to the nosier Sun Ra shit.

10/8/12 10:53 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Seize the Rainbow" is a damn good record -- I knew you had "Ask the Ages" (which is the best, at least for jazz fans!). Now you need "Guitar". The live one is disappointing ("High Life" I think?)

Last Exit -- those records are for the most part in kind of bad "bootleg" sound quality, except the studio one, Iron Path, which is the tamest. And I'm not always sure what I think of Laswell or Brozmann. But Jackson and Sharrock are both musicians I revere. It's cool to see that video -- that's new to me!
10/8/12 2:12 PM
jman
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting stuff, never heard of the guy before.

Hey Ali where are you at, in Los Angeles?
10/8/12 3:10 PM
Ali

Edited: 10/08/12 3:15 PM
San Fernando Valley, Canoga Park nowadays. When you're around let me buy you a beer!
"Interesing" sounds semi promising, LOL. Those records have tunes that just cut me to the core. Just very highly emotional music to me. It's all so subjective, I realize. Interesting back story on Sharrock retiring and coming back, too.
10/8/12 3:30 PM
jman
530 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/08/12 3:38 PM
Looks like you need to buy me a beer this week because I'm flying into Los Angeles Wednesday and staying through Sunday (then fly to Chicago). This is to visit friends and family no music stuff.

If you want to hook up maybe Wednesday night when I fly in, I see that Allen Hinds is playing at the Baked Potato, you interested? I got nothing else going on that night, so I'm probably going.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 - $10

ALLEN HINDS GROUP
JIMMY JOHNSON ...BASS
DAVE HOOPER ...DRUMS
MATT ROHDE ...KEYS
ALLEN HINDS ...GUITAR
10/8/12 3:32 PM
jman

Edited: 10/08/12 3:32 PM
You may already know it but also Bill Frisell is playing Saturday at UCLA:

http://www.voiceplaces.com/bill-frisell-los-angeles-1888277-e/
10/8/12 3:43 PM
Ali

I heard about the Frisell show... my assumption is I can't afford it! Rouce Hall does that to me. Ummm.... I'll have to think about a midweek Hinds show. But probably!
10/8/12 3:49 PM
jman

Check your MMA Mail.
10/8/12 4:28 PM
Ali

I'll get back with you on this after work!
10/8/12 8:55 PM
Ali

Edited: 10/08/12 8:57 PM
Msg sent. And back where we started... the album "Guitar" ends with a six-part suite called "Princess Sonata", that I think is gorgeous. Or that combination of gorgeous and freakin' noisy at the same time that I love so much. This is (IIRC) part 2 - or some part.

Princess Sonata: They Enter the Dream

10/8/12 9:57 PM
hugomma
899 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/08/12 10:44 PM

You guys are hanging out without ME?!?  Damn, I feel like that fat, funny-lookin' forgien kid all over again.  All kidding aside, I hope you guys have a blast.  I bug Ali on the phone all the time, I hope to meet  you someday Jimmy.

Those solo "Guitar" pieces were pretty.  The beginning of "Blind Willie" reminded me of the intro for Soundgarden's "Hands All Over", & parts of it reminded me of cosmic bagpipes.  I loved the contrasting clean major chords on "They Enter the Dream" & the distorted melody.  Love that lick at 2:22 that came out of nowhere.  The way Sonny stylistically doulbe picks notes of his melodies are very sax like, IMHO.  It's crazy how one guy could go from total tenderness to complete chaos.  Great player, wish he was still here.

10/8/12 10:27 PM
Ali

Yeah, what he starts at 2:22 is a very cool "overdrive" moment. I think he gets there for a moment at 1:40, this little figure he plays starting at 1:34 and then repeats faster -- there's enough sustain that playing the notes faster goes from warm to saturated distortion ... (I don't know if I'm using electric-guitar-player-approved terms, here). Then that thing at 2:22 starts to have this breaking glass sound at 2:39. Love that.

There's also this little melodic figure at 1:12 - 1:19 that he plays with a little, but abandons way too early for me. I think it's really gorgeous and dark at once. Actually there are lots and lots of little melodic cells like that, where I want more. But he moves on to something else awesome instead. Really spontaneous musician.

He was specifically aiming for a Coltrane/Sax sound I think. And we hear that from a lot of guitar players who approach it SO differently, and sound so different. Like contrast Sharrock with Holdsworth, who says the same thing about his approach, or how he got to his approach. How different can you get?
10/8/12 11:17 PM
jman

Yeah too bad you're not in LA Hugo...if there are any other LA cats, it would be great to meet as well. So many UG/OG music guys are in the LA Area, I'm suprised when some people aren't.

Hey Ali, check your email.
10/11/12 11:48 AM
Ali

Princess Sonata: The Princess and the Magician

10/13/12 10:59 PM
Majic Sam
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/13/12 11:08 PM
Ali!Long time,brother.Yes,Sonny was a king.Got into him thru Last Exit.I have several of their vinyl.Later heard Ask The Ages and was sold immediately.Recently bought Black Woman on thick vinyl,a '68 re-release w/ his wife.She wails.

If you are interested,check my friend/former bandmate,Tony Wilson.An amazing guitarist into composition and improv.He backed up Frissel at the Vancouver Jazz Fest this summer.He plays Europe but due to a record can't play the States.He has clips on YTube and Myspace.Peace.
10/14/12 7:57 PM
Ali

Hey Sam - it has been a while! Of course I knew you were a Sharrock guy. I'll check out Tony. Feel free to provide links, too (but I'll look -- I won't be lazy!)
10/16/12 11:17 AM
hugomma

Majic Sam - Ali!Long time,brother.Yes,Sonny was a king.Got into him thru Last Exit.I have several of their vinyl.Later heard Ask The Ages and was sold immediately.Recently bought Black Woman on thick vinyl,a '68 re-release w/ his wife.She wails.

If you are interested,check my friend/former bandmate,Tony Wilson.An amazing guitarist into composition and improv.He backed up Frissel at the Vancouver Jazz Fest this summer.He plays Europe but due to a record can't play the States.He has clips on YTube and Myspace.Peace.

Sam, would love to hear mor about your band and Tony Wilson.  Please add links, etc.  We'll be glad to embed them.

Thanks for joining the party.  Check out the Pete Cosey thread when you get a chance.  I posted a blog with a bunch of interesting Miles/Cosey bootlegs you can download.

10/16/12 11:22 AM
hugomma

Edited: 10/16/12 11:53 AM

I almost forgot Sonny Sharrock did music for Space Ghost on Cartoon Network.  Neat vocals on this one, reminds me a bit of the vocals on Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky".

10/16/12 11:23 AM
hugomma

The opening Space Ghost theme.  Ali, do you know who the band is on this?

10/16/12 11:26 AM
hugomma

Edited: 10/16/12 11:27 AM

"Cinnamon Ghost"

10/16/12 11:27 AM
hugomma

"Out to Launch".

10/16/12 11:28 AM
hugomma

"Fear of a Ghost Planet"

10/16/12 11:29 AM
hugomma

"Ghost Planet National Anthem".

10/16/12 11:30 AM
hugomma

"Ghost Planet National Anthem (remix)"

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.