UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> When is big too big for Judo?

10/7/12 3:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
UGCTT_Benwahwah
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, I weigh about 32 stone (don't know what that is in pounds or kilos I'm afraid.)

I have just started university and a years membership to the sports facilities is only £60 which also includes a free judo class each week (there are other classes, but Judo is the main one that interests me.)

Do you think I am too big to be doing judo, and should just go to the gym for this year and then start judo in a year when I have lost some weight. Or should I just say fuck it and go straight away? Phone Post
10/7/12 3:50 PM
ASanchez83
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get cleared by a doctor to make sure you won't die in a judo class. After you do that, try it out.
10/7/12 6:55 PM
judoblackbelt
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A stone is 14 lbs. So that would make you 448 lbs. Try a training program (first) similar to what you see on TV programs designed for weight loss would be my #1 priority. Once you get in better shape/loose weight your chances for judo will improve. Remember you need training partners and they may be hesitant of your size. They are looking out for you and themselves. Most beginners in judo come with a certain level of fitness because of the rigors of the sport.
10/8/12 6:05 AM
UGCTT_Benwahwah
208 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - A stone is 14 lbs. So that would make you 448 lbs. Try a training program (first) similar to what you see on TV programs designed for weight loss would be my #1 priority. Once you get in better shape/loose weight your chances for judo will improve. Remember you need training partners and they may be hesitant of your size. They are looking out for you and themselves. Most beginners in judo come with a certain level of fitness because of the rigors of the sport.
Cheers for the advice. This is what I thought I should be doing but I didn't want to be missing out on stuff, if I was able to go as I am. Phone Post
10/10/12 5:19 AM
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you can't find a Gi that fits ? Phone Post
10/10/12 5:36 AM
Spartan79

Bad joke , sure your be fine ;-) Phone Post
10/21/12 1:22 PM
JoshuaResnick
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

there was a guy from spain who weighed over 500lbs... there is no such thing as too big.
10/22/12 6:29 PM
CyborgRoyce
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There was a guy I used to train with that weighs about the same as you. As long as you take it easy you're fine (obviously you don't want to be doing hard break falls)

10/23/12 1:13 AM
FatBuddha
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

damn, the biggest guy I know that does judo is Sensei Alphabet student Theo Crane - 6'8" and fluctuates between 400 and 440. He was "Big Tiny" on The Walking Dead last night.
11/17/12 1:42 PM
Sam Lowry
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no problem in theory but it really helps if you have some people in your class of a larger size to practice with. Especially in the early days while you are learning how not to injure people hopefully.

One of the few decent quality classes near me they simply dont have enough big guys for meaningful randori, and I am only 18 stone (trying to lose a bit more). Many of the smaller people dont want to practice with me at all even though I am experienced and have a good record on not injuring people.
1/2/13 10:59 PM
Braxmax

I heard there's this thing called SUMO wrastlin that could be awesome for a "big boned" guy as yourself. You'd have to wear a cloth diaper and eat noodles, but yea. Sumo bro. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.