UnderGround Forums

ITGround >> dlink dir-857 router problem

10/8/12 7:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JLK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wondering if my logic makes sense.

I purchased a dlink dir-857 router last week. After the setup, it will work for a bit and then I will not be able to connect to the internet (If I connect straight to the modem no problems).

I'll deal with their helpdesk and they'll have me change connection types (from Dynamic DHCP, to static IP, to PPPoE). The connection will work for a bit then drop again. It seems if I change the connection type it will work for a bit and then crap out again.

Would it make sense to say the router is screwed up? Should I swap it out, or cut my losses and ask for money back?
11/13/12 12:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
NotsoMightySkull
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you change the connection type the Router is most likely reconnecting to the modem and getting a new IP or establishing a new connection.

It sounds like your Router is dropping the connection.
If you can return it or swap it out for another one do that first, could save you a lot of time trying to trouble shoot a hardware issue.

If you still have the same trouble, change your cable, change the port your computer is plugged into. Can you hook up another computer to see if the same thing happens?
Does wireless go out at the same time.

Is sounds like it the Router that is dropping the connection and not your computer.

Replace it.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.