UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> Jump Rope or Running??

10/9/12 3:06 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dolorous
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if these 2 were done in the same amount of time and intensity Which is better in terms of the following:

- stamina / endurance
- building leg strength
- burning fat

If you had to pick one which would you choose?

Looking forward to the responses from the S & C experts. Thanks
10/10/12 11:11 AM
CMX
136 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would say jump rope would be better for all, i can run at a good clip for 30 + minutes, 5 minutes on the rope and im feeling it, plus rope is more if a full body workout Phone Post
10/10/12 12:20 PM
Leigh
756 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think they are very similar. Running may be slightly easier and certainly less mundane, so running for leg strength and calorie burning. For endurance, running might have an aerobic edge but skipping helps with shoulder endurance (local muscular endurance).

Both are pretty good but also reasonably high impact Phone Post
10/10/12 6:33 PM
turducken
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not sure why, but jumping rope is extremely easy for me. i can jump at 160rpm for 30 minutes nonstop and its an easy workout.
10/11/12 2:50 AM
Leigh
756 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you compare HR for HR, is it easier than running? Phone Post
10/11/12 10:56 AM
HUMBLED1
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/11/12 10:56 AM

GO RUNNING!

I started roping in my garage but I can only take so much of it before I get bored. Running gets ya out and about, and if you live near the ocean/mountains or somewhere scenic it makes things enjoyable. I take new routes to mix it up and keep things fresh or run routes backwards, hard to do with a rope. I use it to warm up for a run or pre workout now, thats it. Running/Sprints are the way to go imho. One old timer labeled a few whole pecan nuts or whatever with each having its own route on it. Throw it in a water bottle,shake and roll and see what route/workout pops up. The natural high of running feels great, something that cannot be achieved with a rope.

10/23/12 5:55 PM
younggunz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i like to use both occasionally. WHen it is nice out, as i live in ohio thats like 3 months a yr, i like to go to state parks and do trail running or do sprints on our local reservoirs damn and use that to help build leg strength and keep my conditioning up. Occasionaly for a big burst of extra hard work ill hit the local ski slope for sprints up those, and let me tell you that is intense! As for jump rope i like to o it the way we did in high school and do 3 min of jumping followed by an active rest of some sort of weights or plyo work, just to keep you moving and heart rate up. it will also simulate a fight situation better because you do not completely recover round to round, so prepare yourself for the worst and the best is sure to happen!
11/19/12 12:17 PM
1armedScissor
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Isn't it going to come down to how efficient you are with each exercise? I'm like turducken in that I find skipping to be easier than running. I've been skipping for many years, whereas I've only recently started running. I have friends who are the opposite and my suspicion is that this is due to experience. I have more experience skipping and therefore more efficient technique and vice versa for someone who has more experience running.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.