UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jon Fitch: Sponsorships, apearance $ drying up

10/9/12 3:52 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground Blog
1056 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MixedMartialArts.com

Jon Fitch appeared recently on MMAjunkie.com's Radio show, and discussed life as a fighter in tough financial times.

Fitch has fought only twice since 2010, a February 2011 draw with B.J. Penn and December loss to Johny Hendricks, leaving him without a win bonus in either case. However, Fitch reports that out of cage sources of income are likewise short in supply.

"The economy itself is slow," said Fitch. "It's a lot harder to make money outside the UFC now, as far as sponsors and stuff go. The sponsors have kinda dried up. The appearances have almost dried up."

Personal appearances, training seminars and various hosting duties used to be a surefire way for big-name fighters to pad their wallets. But with the economy still in the tank and MMA perhaps reaching a saturation point this year, the opportunities aren't there. And fighters such as Fitch don't want to start slashing costs.

"You don't want to start doing appearances for like $500, and then everyone hears that, and they never offer you anything higher than that even if the economy comes back," he said.

Fitch was married a few years ago and now has a kid. But living in California isn't cheap, especially with a young family.

Fitch said he's "very careful with my money," but he also has the strain of two mortgages. He bought a condo before the real-estate market got real bad, and the property is steadily losing value, and he also bought a larger house for his family after he got married.

"I would love for us to be able to fight three times a year," he said. "I think that's more than realistic. ... But we're pretty lucky to get three in a year. If you get three, that's ideal. But when you get one or two, it can be difficult. If I still lived in Indiana, it wouldn't be such as much an issue, but I live in California, and it's expensive. Even the cost of food at the store is more expensive."

"If you're not fighting, you're not getting paid. It's not a comment in any way to pay scales or anything. It's just a simple fact: If you don't fight, you don't get paid."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview...

Fitch fights Erick Silva on the main card of Saturday's UFC 153, live on PPV from HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

10/9/12 3:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Trevor Corey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

won't help his spirits getting KO'd on saturday
10/9/12 3:58 PM
epwar
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/09/12 3:58 PM

Fitch said he's "very careful with my money," but he also has the strain of two mortgages. He bought a condo before the real-estate market got real bad, and the property is steadily losing value, and he also bought a larger house for his family after he got married.

His statement and what follows don't comply.

10/9/12 4:07 PM
Frobenius

Hope to see him win, I think his treatment by the 'fans' is completely undeserved.
10/9/12 4:12 PM
sgotwalks
904 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/09/12 4:26 PM

I hope he wins!

Fitch is a bad dude........being overlooked by too many for this weekend's fight.

Also, if he wants to make some money on the side he could always offer up is feet as a double for one of those characters in the new Hobbitt movie. Peter Jackson pays pretty well I would think.

Lastly, this is just a pretty cool picture of Fitch and Hardy meeting outside the elevator at their hotel on the day they were to fight each other.

I hope this guy and many others are able to tap into the money they deserve. These guys should not be struggling in the least.

10/9/12 4:14 PM
Domingo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish him all the best personally and hope he makes a fortune teaching and doing seminars. However I'd still be better off if I never had to watch him fight ever again.
10/9/12 4:17 PM
BubblesNS
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Poor fan reaction is deserved if they disapprove of his style ( ie. dull ) and he responds with the equivalent of "tough shit". Phone Post
10/9/12 4:21 PM
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's funny that two guys that have run the same path have pretty much entirely different lives financially.  Josh Koschek has his own fuckin plane, sweet cars, and a big ass house.  Jon Fitch is broke...Who seems to be the one careful with their money?

10/9/12 4:31 PM
Rampage23NTT

UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

It's funny that two guys that have run the same path have pretty much entirely different lives financially.  Josh Koschek has his own fuckin plane, sweet cars, and a big ass house.  Jon Fitch is broke...Who seems to be the one careful with their money?

Koscheck also fights way more often, actually finishes fights, draws viewers instead of putting them to sleep. Phone Post
10/9/12 4:35 PM
reasonable_mma

Fitch is not a bad guy but quit your complaining. He chose to buy 2 houses based on income he didn't have, doing appearances for less money is beneath him, he chooses to live in California and admits he can't afford the cost of living, he finally just realized the UFC is entertainment. I would pick up the phone, call Koscheck and ask him for his financial adviser's number.
10/9/12 4:36 PM
sgotwalks
904 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rampage23NTT - 
UGCTT_Molsonmuscle360 -

Koscheck also fights way more often, actually finishes fights, draws viewers instead of putting them to sleep. Phone Post

.......and received a ton of extra exposure in two stints of TUF, once as a fighter and once as a coach. Like it or not, all the hate he build up on those appearances counts for something in regards to marketability.

10/9/12 4:40 PM
sgotwalks

Edited: 10/09/12 4:40 PM
reasonable_mma - Fitch is not a bad guy but quit your complaining. He chose to buy 2 houses based on income he didn't have, doing appearances for less money is beneath him, he chooses to live in California and admits he can't afford the cost of living, he finally just realized the UFC is entertainment. I would pick up the phone, call Koscheck and ask him for his financial adviser's number.

Last I heard the level of sparring and training in Indiana is not yet on par with that which is available in California. Also, how many Americans got fucked by the market collapse in the housing sector? Before the collapse, investing in real estate was not the dumbest thing to do with your money. It's not like he's pissing it away on coke and whores for crying out loud!

10/9/12 4:46 PM
kinson

Is it just me or does Jon Fitch complain a lot? Phone Post
10/9/12 4:48 PM
epwar
648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/09/12 4:49 PM

Lastly, this is just a pretty cool picture of Fitch and Hardy meeting outside the elevator at their hotel on the day they were to fight each other.

Um, Fitch and Hardy never fought each other.

10/9/12 4:49 PM
Hong Kong Phooey
795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.mmaweekly.com/jon-fitch-on-changing-priorities-financial-burden-a-new-outlook-on-making-money-in-mma

This was days ago on weekly

10/9/12 4:51 PM
hubris
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's what he gets for getting two properties in California

Jon Fitch should be renting
10/9/12 4:53 PM
jbapk

sgotwalks - 
reasonable_mma - Fitch is not a bad guy but quit your complaining. He chose to buy 2 houses based on income he didn't have, doing appearances for less money is beneath him, he chooses to live in California and admits he can't afford the cost of living, he finally just realized the UFC is entertainment. I would pick up the phone, call Koscheck and ask him for his financial adviser's number.

Last I heard the level of sparring and training in Indiana is not yet on par with that which is available in California. Also, how many Americans got fucked by the market collapse in the housing sector? Before the collapse, investing in real estate was not the dumbest thing to do with your money. It's not like he's pissing it away on coke and whores for crying out loud!

According to the article he bought the second bigger house after he got married, which was in 2010. So he knew the housing market had blown up and still took on a second mortgage.
10/9/12 4:56 PM
hubris
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

that's the problem with getting married

the wife is going to wreck you financially
10/9/12 4:56 PM
sgotwalks

epwar - 

Um, Fitch and Hardy never fought each other.

You are absolutely right. Image was in a file under fight day.........should have realized they were fighting different opponents. I am assuming this was UFC 111 when Fitch fought Ben Saunders and Hardy fought GSP for the title. Great shot none the less, but thanks for the correction.

10/9/12 4:58 PM
inf0
303 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His last fight was exciting.. I'll give him that

10/9/12 5:00 PM
Ludelow

Struve makes about 2000 dollar for a seminar, john fitch cannot get in range of that number??
10/9/12 5:00 PM
ArthurKnoqOut
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

VTFU for the great shots. no :beep:

10/9/12 5:04 PM
Kentpaul
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mabey if Fitch was an exiting fighter getting sponsorship and appearance money would be alot easier, but unforunatly for Fitch watching him fight is like watching grass grow and that is why he is not making big bank
10/9/12 5:06 PM
likatiga
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He's in a real shitty place right now. Completely self imposed, but sad nonetheless.

He needed to increase the excitement in his fights about 4 years ago when he could afford a loss or two. Now he needs a win so desperately he's not able to try anything exciting.

He needs to win his next couple fights, and in the mean time train to be exciting, then come out with a couple barn burners. Beg Dana white to match him up with legit wrestlers who brawl. Like Koscheck for example.

Good luck Jon Fitch!!
10/9/12 5:24 PM
sgotwalks

jbapk - 
sgotwalks - 

According to the article he bought the second bigger house after he got married, which was in 2010. So he knew the housing market had blown up and still took on a second mortgage.

Well there we have it then, the MMAarriage Math is in and it's official.......John has mismanaged his finances. Still hoping things work out for the man. There are worse ways to mismanage money and he is not a bad dude in reality, even though he is a baaaad dude!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.