UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What makes wrestlers so tough?

10/9/12 8:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ninja mon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm bringing this thread back haha. Well.....
10/9/12 8:09 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post
10/9/12 8:13 PM
UGCTT_the people's cecil
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ -  If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post

and not to mention wrestlers have to keep up with school on top of all that.

10/9/12 8:14 PM
Ninja mon

^^^Very well said. Keep em coming please!
10/9/12 8:17 PM
Ronald McDojo
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ just pwned this thread, imo
10/9/12 8:26 PM
random_perv

Wrestlers get broken in the octagon. Phone Post
10/9/12 8:28 PM
FedorEmilioEstevez
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As opposed to what other athletes?

I would say because its full blast the whole time. No rest and recuperation mid play. Phone Post
10/9/12 8:34 PM
Twister Trent
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
Voted up when I get to a PC! Well said! Phone Post
10/9/12 8:40 PM
WestCoastMXC

Wrestlers are just as tough as any other athlete whose dedicates everything to there sport. Phone Post
10/9/12 8:41 PM
Dogman

Well said GQ, vote up for you!
10/9/12 8:42 PM
phdinmma

Wrestling practice sucks, cutting weight sucks, wrestling matches suck, everything about being a wrestler sucks but it's so goddman addicting. Phone Post
10/9/12 8:48 PM
EdTheGreat

GriffinQ -  If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.

This sounds like a movie climax
10/9/12 8:53 PM
YousHerName
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ill punch a wrestler Phone Post
10/9/12 9:07 PM
Malvert the Janitor
1044 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Read first reply.

Thread was over. Phone Post
10/9/12 9:43 PM
niles510

They do well in mma because they can control the fight Phone Post
10/9/12 10:18 PM
Anthony
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My kid is wrestling in College. His ankle has been giving him grief for this season, he was just told by the MD he needs to rest it, as he can't put any weight on it. I spent 45 minutes on the phone talking him down as he's angry with the time off the rest of the team will get better than him. Wrestlers train and compete at 100 percent no matter what. There's no quit, those that do, get weeded out early.
10/9/12 10:37 PM
nowaydo
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestlers start training to be a fighter before or whether or not they ever fight.
Many wrestling coaches don't know a lot of technique, but they figure out "raw" conditioning by just doing "more, more and more" and by having athletes do "more" under harsh conditions.
Plus...imagine being a kid, one on one with another wrestler in front of your family and school peers and truly getting your butt kick! Getting your butt kicked, not because some "team" scored more touchdowns or goals or because some "team" ran around the bases more than you...but because someone actually "kick your butt"!

Then, you go back to practice and the coached drills you and runs you ragged because of your loss. And other older, bigger and better wrestlers in practice kicks your butt some more.

You either quit or get tougher.

After years of wrestling, I went to Army basic training and thought it was a joke.

Yet, boxing in the Army gave me a wake up call. Wrestling wasn't the only tough sport. I got the same wake up call in Muay thai and competitive judo.

BJJ training was a vacation compared to those.

One big difference is that sometimes only the top athletes in other sports train with the intensity that every wrestler, whether he's the among the top or bottom, trains every practice.

I may be a little bias.
10/9/12 10:46 PM
GriffinQ
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If a blue would please link this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZis9HLnZ5c

If you understand what Burroughs is talking about when he references "the grind"(what I referenced as well)...then you'll understand what makes the toughness of a wrestler.
10/9/12 11:05 PM
UGCTT croy_00
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
Post of the year. I could barely fuck my girlfriend after each practice. I still did because I'm not ghey and you know, a man's got to keep his reputation. No but seriously, fellow wrestlers will know what I'm talking about. When your so tired you will tell your horny college girlfriend you don't fell well and can't crush her ass that night. Phone Post
10/9/12 11:20 PM
DanChow
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Malvert the Janitor -  Read first reply.

Thread was over. Phone Post

10/9/12 11:32 PM
Moist Gracie
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This.

And in addition, I want to add that wrestling gives you a flat out dog-eat-dog mentality. One thing you learn early on is that either you're going to be the one giving the beating or taking it, and either you quit or do everything in your power to dominate as much as possible.

My freshman year in hs I was a 152 lber on varsity and I got my dick knocked into the dirt on a daily basis. We'd do these things called a "combat drill" which was basically a live match with no scoring: the whole point was to physically punish your partner as much as possible while staying in good position. We would throw down and there were even a few fistfights because of it. We were like dogs. No one wanted to lose or be embarrassed.
10/9/12 11:33 PM
aaronlynton
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They take enemas for fun Phone Post
10/9/12 11:54 PM
ChipW
168 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wrestling is the closest thing to the spartan agoge left in the world. It makes warriors. Phone Post
10/10/12 12:03 AM
Immaculata
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/12 12:05 AM
I like the 1st post on this thread and even voted it up. My only response is that there are equally tough sports/Combat Sciences such as Boxing, Thai Boxing and even MMA. The severity of these 3 Sports equals Wrestling.
10/10/12 12:04 AM
Alistair Overstream
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ i'm turning that quote into a poster to hang in my dorm...after wrestling for nearly a decade you summed up the lifestyle perfectly

I salute you sir

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.