UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What makes wrestlers so tough?

10/10/12 12:20 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiggum
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nowaydo - Wrestlers start training to be a fighter before or whether or not they ever fight.
Many wrestling coaches don't know a lot of technique, but they figure out "raw" conditioning by just doing "more, more and more" and by having athletes do "more" under harsh conditions.
Plus...imagine being a kid, one on one with another wrestler in front of your family and school peers and truly getting your butt kick! Getting your butt kicked, not because some "team" scored more touchdowns or goals or because some "team" ran around the bases more than you...but because someone actually "kick your butt"!

Then, you go back to practice and the coached drills you and runs you ragged because of your loss. And other older, bigger and better wrestlers in practice kicks your butt some more.

You either quit or get tougher.

After years of wrestling, I went to Army basic training and thought it was a joke.

Yet, boxing in the Army gave me a wake up call. Wrestling wasn't the only tough sport. I got the same wake up call in Muay thai and competitive judo.

BJJ training was a vacation compared to those.

One big difference is that sometimes only the top athletes in other sports train with the intensity that every wrestler, whether he's the among the top or bottom, trains every practice.

I may be a little bias.

GREAT post.
10/10/12 4:27 AM
Ninja mon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great post nowaydo! Damn I wished I would've wrestled.
10/10/12 6:24 AM
WrestlingSucks
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

to those saying boxing and thaiboxibg are just as hard as wrestling, consider this..

wrestlers have a team comp once a week and a tourny every weekend. that means youre cutting weight tuesday to wrestle wednesday and win or lose youre cutting again thursday for a tourny on fri and sat. this continues for months.

once youre done with that you get to spend the spring doing free and greco every weekend before nationals. after that you cantake a month off or take a trip to a top college camp for technique. when its all said and done ypur summer is two weeks long. this is what is expected of highschool kids. ive trained at top bpxing and thai gyms that didnt compare to one week of national wrestling camps.
10/10/12 6:25 AM
WrestlingSucks
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

also..your weigh ins are usually an hour before you wrestle. try sparring an hour after cutting weight
10/10/12 7:04 AM
DEZBOT

Twister Trent -
GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post
Voted up when I get to a PC! Well said! Phone Post
Sounds like u just quoted joe rogan Phone Post
10/10/12 7:24 AM
plyme69

Subbb Phone Post
10/10/12 7:53 AM
nowaydo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good point, wrestlingsucks!
10/10/12 10:24 AM
JLTECH

Hey yousyourname or whatever u call yourself u punch a wrestler just remember this there's no ref gonna save ya from getting taking down and headbutted. In wrestling there's no time out no substitutes and no place to hide! Phone Post
10/10/12 10:32 AM
wiggum
258 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WrestlingSucks - to those saying boxing and thaiboxibg are just as hard as wrestling, consider this..

wrestlers have a team comp once a week and a tourny every weekend. that means youre cutting weight tuesday to wrestle wednesday and win or lose youre cutting again thursday for a tourny on fri and sat. this continues for months.

once youre done with that you get to spend the spring doing free and greco every weekend before nationals. after that you cantake a month off or take a trip to a top college camp for technique. when its all said and done ypur summer is two weeks long. this is what is expected of highschool kids. ive trained at top bpxing and thai gyms that didnt compare to one week of national wrestling camps.

During college, I cut from 146-->133 twice a week.
10/10/12 10:43 AM
beek95

Subd for great posts Phone Post
10/10/12 10:44 AM
beek95

Subd for great posts Phone Post
10/10/12 12:33 PM
UGCTT_FryedTakayamaOwnedMySN 3x
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Twister Trent -
GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post
Voted up when I get to a PC! Well said! Phone Post
Agreed. Don't forget about making weight 2 to 3 times a week!
My senior year I was 145 cutting to 125, I even hit 119 once.... It was terrible but it's what the team needed.

That's why most wrestlers are tough, when most would bitch and find a way out you just lower your head and keep pushing Phone Post
10/10/12 1:38 PM
Phil999
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The secret is....wrestling.
10/10/12 1:52 PM
DaCrusher
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moist Gracie - 
GriffinQ -  If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.

This.

And in addition, I want to add that wrestling gives you a flat out dog-eat-dog mentality. One thing you learn early on is that either you're going to be the one giving the beating or taking it, and either you quit or do everything in your power to dominate as much as possible.

My freshman year in hs I was a 152 lber on varsity and I got my dick knocked into the dirt on a daily basis. We'd do these things called a "combat drill" which was basically a live match with no scoring: the whole point was to physically punish your partner as much as possible while staying in good position. We would throw down and there were even a few fistfights because of it. We were like dogs. No one wanted to lose or be embarrassed.

I agree with this 100% as an ex competitive wrestler and father of two VERY competitive youth wrestlers.

My older son who is 10 was a place winner in both folk and free in NJ last year who has transferred the wrestling mentality to a lot of other aspects of his life. He has that all or nothing state of mind when it comes to school work--- its either a 100% or he views it as failure, he is the same way with other sports he plays that don't follow the same thought process (football and lacrosse). I coach his Pop Warner Football team where he plays linebacker... we were routing a team this weekend and our D-coordinator asked the linebackers to not attack the play and let the other team get some yardage so they would feel better... I was never prouder when my son fired back about how that isn't right and that they need to play us at our best otherwise we are cheating them and that any yardage they get should be earned..not deserved. As his head coach I had to scold him a bit for talking out of turn but he got kudos on way home.
10/10/12 1:53 PM
DaCrusher
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WrestlingSucks - to those saying boxing and thaiboxibg are just as hard as wrestling, consider this..

don't forget the weekly wrestle-off's to even hold on to your spot
10/10/12 1:56 PM
DaCrusher

for after your shoes are at the center of the mat:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevecooper/2012/07/31/why-wrestlers-make-the-best-employees/
10/10/12 2:26 PM
DaCrusher

LikeThis - short answer is they arent

striking combat sports are all a lot tougher

wrestlers are usually athletic but often big pussies, even the ones who make it to the ufc. nothing in wrestling compares to the physical pain of a striking battle.

its clear this is a grappler-heavy forum though

I would love to see "strikers" go thru the practices even my 10 year old has to endure during Folk/Free/greco seasons
10/10/12 2:38 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Later Phone Post
10/10/12 2:40 PM
DaCrusher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzaniA1IUbw&feature=relmfu

This is an "average" night in the room for the little kids
10/10/12 3:08 PM
ECC170

Same answer to why most ppl think we are dicks...If you put a bunch of young men in a room with a ton of testosterone here's the formula to both questions...20 guys in room that is easily 100 degrees in which my coach who is the winning est coach in INDIANA HISTORY and top 5 in the country with over 800 wins..HE would put an ice bag on the thermostat causing a non stop furnace flow along with a unreal electric bill I'm sure...Wrestlers are DEHYDRATED 85% of the time so thirsty not even hungry that you could of offered me a grand or a drink and I'd take the drink. .so dilerious you do like the ppl in the movies who are in the dessert and halucinating seeing water fronts...that alone is a unreal mental challenge that plays a huge part in a wrestlers psychy'...if we can be ferocious and stronger than most suffering pretty much malnutriion how Mentally,physically,and spiritually strong you think we are when we are 100%...next reason put all these animals who for the most part are not easy on the eyes, deformed ears,and who drill the same techniques that are unbelievably challenging hours a day for years on end you start to get the picture...For crying out loud they nicknamed our ears after a fuckin vegetable that in it self tells you something...Joe rogan himself put it in words bout as well as you can...all these hard grueling years of brutal training show in the octagon winning is the fruits of a wrestlers labor...I wrestled with eDARREN ELIKNS in HS and you see the punishment DIEGO THE TUF WINNER BRANDAO took from our ruthless understand sometimes it isn't the prettiest but a efficient wrestler with the right attributes from other martial arts is the last guy you want to fight 10 out of 10 fights...here's the formula. ! Stud Wrestler=great coaching+Boiling wrestling room+hardly any food nor water+other rotten ugly cauliflower ear having wrestlers+5 matches a Saturday for 10 years+the will to win and not quit where almost every other average human being would is the key in at least all the wrestlers I've met.. putting a kid in the dessert battling others like himself with very little nutrients ..so ask yourself if wouldn't be a slight dick and confident you've payed the pain of payment...We are a rare breed and that's the truth...so the next time you hear an idiot make a wak ass comment like wrestlers are queer for rolling around in spandex..tell them you know that so called ferry could hold you down and make you beg for mercy any time he decided to put down that water he earned pushing himself to places you can't fathom or ever reach...that's my soap box I'll put it away...
10/10/12 3:51 PM
SinCityHustler

Cool thread, always enjoy this topic when it comes up.  Summed up pretty well already, bunch of animals in a room battling for survival for months at a time over the course of several years.  That will toughen you up and seperate the ones who can from the ones who can't .   Most difficult thing I've ever done is my college frosh season where I had to get down t o 118lbs after wlaking into the room weighing 149, and I had to hold the weight all season long.  When i was done with my wrestling career and I got invited to go down to train with some guys who were doing pro MMA, I thought it might be fun so I gave it a go.  I was busy running a business and juggling numerous women.  A grueling, fight career was the last thing i needed.  But what i found out is that MMA training was so easy relative to wreslting trainning that i went ahead and signed up, took some fights, did all the team asked of me, and basically had a pretty cool hobby to transition to now that wreslting was behind me .  Success came easy, (granted the competitoion back then was a step below where it is today) so easy in fact that I was able to get by without ever really pushing myself to my limits.  And at the time, I was in one the the better camps in the world.  2 UFC champions, a couple of future UFC champions, Pride stars, etc.  

10/10/12 4:27 PM
judom
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Actually, in my experience, competitive Judo was harder than wrestling.

The reason is that:

- the training in top competitive judo schools is just as hard and just as long as wrestling, but the falls are MUCH harder.

- we also had weekly competitions/tournaments, that is fairly standard, but not so much cutting weight.

- the injuries you get in competitive judo are horrendous. The twisting and _constant_ throwing makes it actually much more damaging than wrestling.

- the competitive part is also more dangerous because you cannot get points unless you go for hard throws, you won't get a point for a single leg when the opponent goes on their stomach. This means that the commitment to throws and the danger increases many-fold, especially in competition. And its a constant thing.

So I would say the intensity of training is the same, the frequency of tournaments is the same, but the actual Judo training is harder than wrestling: the constant throwing can cripple you and the injuries are simply horrific due to the constant twisting.
10/10/12 4:29 PM
judom
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

However, Judo at the recreational level is really not comparable to competitive Judo training or competitive wrestling training.

I think in wrestling you get more intense training even at the lower levels than Judo.

But at the higher levels, wrestling is most definitely not harder than Judo.
10/10/12 4:32 PM
SinCityHustler

In one word, the answer to the OP's question would be:

Culture

10/10/12 4:45 PM
cycklops
239 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Theres almost no glory in wrestling either. In my experience wrestling was always a second tier sport. Our high school didn't have a wrestling room. We tore apart the caeteria everyday then put it back together. Sometimes we'd use the middle school gym but we'd get bumped by girls JV basketball. There was just no respect.

Not every school had this problem. Even in college the wrestling team got dumped on. It was just guys going out there and giving everything they had and barely anyone outside of your wrestling bubble gave a fuck. So you bust your ass HARD day in and day out and why? Because you fuckin can, that's why.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.