UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What makes wrestlers so tough?

10/10/12 7:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiggum
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judom - Actually, in my experience, competitive Judo was harder than wrestling.

The reason is that:

- the training in top competitive judo schools is just as hard and just as long as wrestling, but the falls are MUCH harder.

- we also had weekly competitions/tournaments, that is fairly standard, but not so much cutting weight.

- the injuries you get in competitive judo are horrendous. The twisting and _constant_ throwing makes it actually much more damaging than wrestling.

- the competitive part is also more dangerous because you cannot get points unless you go for hard throws, you won't get a point for a single leg when the opponent goes on their stomach. This means that the commitment to throws and the danger increases many-fold, especially in competition. And its a constant thing.

So I would say the intensity of training is the same, the frequency of tournaments is the same, but the actual Judo training is harder than wrestling: the constant throwing can cripple you and the injuries are simply horrific due to the constant twisting.

Judom -

I've never competed or trained at the highest levels of judo and I certainly don't want to get into a 'which is harder' debate. The truth is the toughest wrestler trains way harder than your average high level judo player and the hardest working judo player trains way harder than your average high-level wrestler.

Based on my experience in both, it seems that injuries are more guaranteed in judo because of the throws. So judo players are more likely to be 'playing hurt' and dealing with pain.

It makes sense that the practices at a high level are equally intense. As you say, I think a higher percentage of wrestlers at all levels are practicing at a level you and I - based on our real experience - would consider genuinely intense.

I don't think you can undermine how big of a deal weight cutting is. That adds to the 'grind' in an incredible way. Check out mine and SinCityHussler's experience. I was cutting and regaining between 13-15 pounds twice a weak while staying on the honor role.

My hunch - and it's just a hunch - is that the grind of living with injuries is close to the grind of cutting weight (while almost always also dealing with injuries). And then the practices are similar in intensity.

Either way, you brought up some great points and I just wanted to add my $.02
10/10/12 7:33 PM
fiercedragon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also your teammates won't let you be a pussy. i broke my hand on the way to a state title and a couple of upper classmen both said the same thing : don't be a pussy, just gut it out! We're talking about a state title! When you hear that you don't have a choice... Phone Post
10/10/12 7:57 PM
Immaculata
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WrestlingSucks - to those saying boxing and thaiboxibg are just as hard as wrestling, consider this..

wrestlers have a team comp once a week and a tourny every weekend. that means youre cutting weight tuesday to wrestle wednesday and win or lose youre cutting again thursday for a tourny on fri and sat. this continues for months.

once youre done with that you get to spend the spring doing free and greco every weekend before nationals. after that you cantake a month off or take a trip to a top college camp for technique. when its all said and done ypur summer is two weeks long. this is what is expected of highschool kids. ive trained at top bpxing and thai gyms that didnt compare to one week of national wrestling camps.

My only response to that is that a Wrestler's initiative isn't more difficult than Strikers or even BJJ guys. You make a mistake, you're getting pinned, if they make a mistake they're limbs and brain are going to being rearranged. I just think they're cut out of the same cloth as far as toughness. My first instructor was a Wrestler/Judo practioner and he put us through hell in the warm ups alone, so I know what you're saying about wrestlers being tough, but the initiative isn't more difficult than other Combat Sports.
10/10/12 8:06 PM
Moist Gracie
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think this kind of stuff is easier to understand when you see it. blue please:

<iframe title="Raw Hawkeyes Practice" width="480" height="272" src="http://www.flowrestling.org/embed/MTgyMjg5NDg0?related=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><p><a href="http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/236417-Iowa-Hawkeyes">Watch more video of Iowa Hawkeyes on flowrestling.org</a></p>

@ about 1 minute you see Phil Keddy drilling with a neck brace (later going live)

@ about 3 minutes live wrestling starts

@ about 6 minutes you see Terry Brands kicking the shit out of national champ Matt McDonough (listen to him crying. not talking shit at all, i'm just saying stuff like this is not uncommon at all.)

Keep in mind this is probably one of their lighter practices, as I think they were preparing for NCAA's about a month away.
10/10/12 8:15 PM
Moist Gracie
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's another live practice at Oklahoma State:

<iframe title="Oklahoma State "Live Session"" width="480" height="290" src="http://www.flowrestling.org/embed/MTQ2NzYwNjk=?related=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><p><a href="http://www.flowrestling.org/video/76069-Oklahoma-State-Live-Session">Watch more videos on Flowrestling</a></p>

You'll notice right away that it's common not to stop wrestling when you leave the mat. At 5:00 watch the takedown go off the mat.

In my high school wrestling room there were plastic steps for aerobics, a metal cabinet, the walls were unpadded, and there was always a random bike or something else just sitting around. We would try to throw each other at/on something whenever possible.
10/10/12 8:35 PM
SinCityHustler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/10/12 8:35 PM

Here you go

10/10/12 8:36 PM
SinCityHustler

And here

10/10/12 8:37 PM
Moist Gracie

J Robinson 28 day intensive high school wrestling camp. i think something like 1/3 of all that enter don't finish due to injury/skin disease/being cut from the camp due to lack of effort. "Intensity is a learned skill." - J Robinson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHKrJ5-r2WQ

And lastly, this has been posted a bunch of times before, but for those of you that haven't seen it, here's a documentary that follows the U of Minn guys around for a season. It shows how mentally demanding an entire season can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5BwwQhshxE&feature=related
10/10/12 8:44 PM
SinCityHustler

good stuff

10/10/12 8:45 PM
SinCityHustler

aaaa

10/10/12 9:08 PM
Wasa-B
333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im a wrestler. Im not that tough......maybe i used to be....when I did wrestle.
10/10/12 9:11 PM
Tolstolobic

Their wrestling Phone Post
10/10/12 9:31 PM
wiggum
322 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Iowa video is pretty representative of the average 'lighter' practice and the image of Keddy wearing the brace is indicative of wrestling culture.

We had a smaller room among top d1 teams. If a guy ever got pushed against a wall, we were supposed to pick his legs up from under him so he landed on his head. Sometimes we'd handfight our way into the public weight room. During iron man drills (1 goes with 2, 1 goes with 3, 1 goes with 4) the guy who was in next would be chomping at the bit to get in there and the second the whistle blew, he was on that guys head.

If you were facing someone who you were better than, your goal was to get 100 takedowns. If you had an hour grind match and did anything less than 'sprint' pace, you felt like a huge piece of shit.
10/10/12 10:02 PM
DanChow
106 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wrestled and it is the most taxing thing I ever did..even worse than long distance running and that includes intervals on the track and hill running which I did.

What I hated most was wrestling a really quick guy who could reverse me before I could use my strength.
10/10/12 10:06 PM
i pee blood

this video should be posted everytime this question pops up: http://www.flowrestling.org/video/74913-Iowa-Short-Time-Workout
10/10/12 10:31 PM
GregNoActionJackson
206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great thread. As someone who wrestled for 11 years, boxed for a little bit, was in the army. There's nothing like a wrestlers lifestyle Phone Post
10/10/12 11:45 PM
wiggum

i pee blood - this video should be posted everytime this question pops up: http://www.flowrestling.org/video/74913-Iowa-Short-Time-Workout

Thanks for posting.

First MMA gym I ever went to sucked. I was coming straight out of college wrestling at a program near this level. I was at the competition BJJ practice (competition being the key word). At the end of practice, the coach said, "all right. We've got 3 five minute GOs, so make sure to pace yourself."

I started laughing. I just imagined my college - or even my high school coach - screaming "all we've got is 3 five minute GOs, SO YOU BETTER SPRINT!"

As sincity said, it's a difference in culture.
10/11/12 12:08 AM
Anthony
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UGCTT_FryedTakayamaOwnedMySN 3x - 
Twister Trent -
GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post
Voted up when I get to a PC! Well said! Phone Post
Agreed. Don't forget about making weight 2 to 3 times a week!
My senior year I was 145 cutting to 125, I even hit 119 once.... It was terrible but it's what the team needed.

That's why most wrestlers are tough, when most would bitch and find a way out you just lower your head and keep pushing Phone Post

My kid's senior year, his coach asked him to fill in the empty 170. He was 219lbs. He did it in a month and a half training 2 to 3 a days. Wrestlers are hardcore.
10/11/12 11:31 PM
wiggum

ttt
10/12/12 1:32 AM
Ninja mon

In the last week I've trained with 3 D1 wrestlers. Man they're a nightmare to deal with. I was either getting thrown like a ragdol on the feet and on the ground.
10/12/12 1:40 AM
caseharts
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Immaculata - I like the 1st post on this thread and even voted it up. My only response is that there are equally tough sports/Combat Sciences such as Boxing, Thai Boxing and even MMA. The severity of these 3 Sports equals Wrestling.
No
They don't Phone Post
10/12/12 1:48 AM
UGCTT_AlexE
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post
This is spot on Phone Post
10/12/12 1:49 AM
caseharts
514 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as mental strength, physical toughness and overall athleticism. Gtfo of here with other martial arts.

They're all tough but after doing them all. There is something special about wrestling. It's different. Until you compete in it you're opinion is invalid here. Because joining wrestling changed my life. The bjj nerds will say this the muay Thai nerds will say that. I used to be a hardcore one, still am one. Until you are humble enough to put on those shoes. Don't get on here saying a thing.

People will argue its not this it's not that. It breeds the toughest competitors. That doesn't mean always the best because that has many variables (camp, skill set, build etc) but overall wrestling is the best at making warriors. Phone Post
10/12/12 3:45 AM
baby-silverback
359 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT Phone Post
10/13/12 12:03 AM
Ninja mon

Vision Quest is one of the greatest movies ever for sure! It never gets old.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.