UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> What makes wrestlers so tough?

10/14/12 12:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watching Jon Fitch, I just kept screaming WRESTLING!
10/14/12 1:40 PM
justinthevikingwren
1003 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GriffinQ - If you've ever wrestled... You'd know. It's the grind. You're performing in a sport that requires you to go full blast for minutes at a time without rest, without being allowed to take a step back, and against an opponent just as mean and strong as you who is trying to break your spirit and your body.
You're constantly dehydrated and under fed yet you have practice six days a week in a sport that won't get you a lot of public accolades. You have to be both strong and explosive, but you must also be durable and have cardio for days. You put your body through hell in preparation for every match, but there's no genuine downtime. If you want to be the best, or even be "good," you have to work every single day. Wrestling is a sport where there are no shortcuts... Even if you're the most athletic guy on the mat, you can still be broken by a mean sonova bitch who knows how to outwork you. Phone Post
Well said Phone Post
10/14/12 1:45 PM
Ninja mon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn I wish I would've wrestled. This is a great thread, long live the UG.
10/14/12 1:45 PM
ZzFDKzZ

Because you get broken physically and mentally every day in practice. Phone Post
10/14/12 3:37 PM
wiggum
274 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ZzFDKzZ -  Because you get broken physically and mentally every day in practice. Phone Post

At the end of the Anderson Chael 2 Primetime, Chael broke it down nicely. I came up in the same wrestling circles as Chael (though a generation later) and have had similar experiences.

If you've ever seen Chael's youtube question on mental toughness, he discusses all the doubts and breaking points he faced as a wrestler. He says that he always thought that those were unique to him. It wasn't until he realized that Les Gutches, Dan Gable, and Daniel Cormier all had those same moments of cowardice - and that they recognize and fight through them - that he realized how far he can go.

In the primetime, he was asked why he wasn't afraid of "the best." He said it's because he sees those reputations die inside a practice room. He's seen world champions, Olympic gold medalists become cowards in a practice room. So have I. And that's what makes wrestling special.

Sometimes, I see a camp that doesn't have much wrestlers, but feels like a wrestling culture. Cesar's, JDS' camps, Novia Uniao (sp?). The goal isn't to test your limits, but to break through them. That's wrestling.
10/31/12 6:59 PM
Ninja mon

Keep it coming please!
10/31/12 7:25 PM
dermotfix
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

10/31/12 7:32 PM
DiazWasRobbed

Pretty disgusted at the lack of respect for BJJ in this thread.

I think a lot of BJJ schools nowadays are more "family-friendly" and there are tons of them. That's why people just shrug when you say you do it, it's mainstream now.

The school I go to is tough as shit. My Instructor always pairs me with bigger guys for our 1 hour almost non stop sparring. And by bigger, I mean 1 or 2 weight classes above.

I'm a pretty light dude, so I get thrown around like a fucking ragdoll the whole time. When I first started I used to keep getting out muscled and submitted, then I realized that for jiu jitsu technique>strength most of the time. I had to work hard to learn how to properly defend and hold my own against stronger guys. Going to sparring practices 3 times a day and cardio conditioning at home non stop. Got a torn Rotator cuff 2 weeks ago, gonna be out for a little while. Got my arm broken a couple times. Almost got knee bared too. Shit sucks.

I have great respect for wrestlers, and I'm sure if I did your guys practices and drills I would get pummeled. But if you've never done BJJ, and I mean REAL BJJ training, not going to one of those Mc Dojos and getting your black belt in two years. A real school where you have to work hard, non stop competitions, etc. Hard stuff man.
10/31/12 7:38 PM
wiggum

DiazWasRobbed - Pretty disgusted at the lack of respect for BJJ in this thread.

I think a lot of BJJ schools nowadays are more "family-friendly" and there are tons of them. That's why people just shrug when you say you do it, it's mainstream now.

The school I go to is tough as shit. My Instructor always pairs me with bigger guys for our 1 hour almost non stop sparring. And by bigger, I mean 1 or 2 weight classes above.

I'm a pretty light dude, so I get thrown around like a fucking ragdoll the whole time. When I first started I used to keep getting out muscled and submitted, then I realized that for jiu jitsu technique>strength most of the time. I had to work hard to learn how to properly defend and hold my own against stronger guys. Going to sparring practices 3 times a day and cardio conditioning at home non stop. Got a torn Rotator cuff 2 weeks ago, gonna be out for a little while. Got my arm broken a couple times. Almost got knee bared too. Shit sucks.

I have great respect for wrestlers, and I'm sure if I did your guys practices and drills I would get pummeled. But if you've never done BJJ, and I mean REAL BJJ training, not going to one of those Mc Dojos and getting your black belt in two years. A real school where you have to work hard, non stop competitions, etc. Hard stuff man.

"Going to sparring practices 3 times a day and cardio conditioning at home non stop."

Sounds like a poor training program.

"Got my arm broken a couple times. Almost got knee bared too. Shit sucks."

Sounds like your gym is either filled with spazzes or you need to learn to tap.

Seriously, nobody is arguing that BJJ isn't tough when taught a certain way. But you talk to the top guys in MMA or really even the top guys in BJJ, almost everybody will tell you that the grind of wrestling is harder than pretty much any thing.

I've trained extensively with world champion wrestlers, fighters, and jiujitsu players. They are all great and the toughest guys in all of them are extremely tough.

But something makes wrestling a little different.
10/31/12 7:47 PM
DiazWasRobbed

wiggum - 

"Going to sparring practices 3 times a day and cardio conditioning at home non stop."

Seriously, nobody is arguing that BJJ isn't tough when taught a certain way. But you talk to the top guys in MMA or really even the top guys in BJJ, almost everybody will tell you that the grind of wrestling is harder than pretty much any thing.

I've trained extensively with world champion wrestlers, fighters, and jiujitsu players. They are all great and the toughest guys in all of them are extremely tough.

"But something makes wrestling a little different"

Is it the good times with your team mates you spend naked with in the locker room? Or just the general homosexual nature of wrestling? God damn, you guys have such big egos. Hard to reason with.
10/31/12 7:53 PM
DiazWasRobbed

wiggum - 

"Sounds like a poor training program"

Ok, you have successfully rustled my jimmies. I GUARANTEE I train harder then you do. Laying on top of people isn't training.
10/31/12 7:59 PM
DiazWasRobbed

"Sounds like your gym is either filled with spazzes or you need to learn to tap"

Come to my gym ass hole. You'd get submitted by every white belt there.
10/31/12 8:00 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DiazWasRobbed -
wiggum - 

"But something makes wrestling a little different"

Is it the good times with your team mates you spend naked with in the locker room? Or just the general homosexual nature of wrestling? God damn, you guys have such big egos. Hard to reason with.
Wrestling is harder. It's more grueling. If in bjj you had to make weight as often and weren't allowed to stall as much I'd have an argument. But they do stall for "position". I did bjj years before wrestling. Wrestling is way harder. The physicality is just different. 1 hour in bjj isn't the same as 1 hour in wrestling. There are guys in bjj who have a more scrambling style but even then it's not the same. Bjj is a slower more methodical sport. That doesn't make it lesser or worse it makes it different. Wrestling is just a more grueling experience and there is nothing like it. We don't think we are better but we know it's not the same. Until you experience a collegiate wrestling program you need to stop making assumptions. Phone Post
10/31/12 8:03 PM
DiazWasRobbed

It's all good dude. I just want some mutual respect, that's all. Wiggum is pissing me the fuck off
10/31/12 8:09 PM
wiggum

DiazWasRobbed: You're a homophobe and I'm not going to engage with that.

You also seem very young or very stupid. As a bunch of people here know, I've been competing and training at the highest levels of wrestling, MMA, and BJJ for some time. That you would guarantee the white belts at your school would tap me is just silly: you have no idea what would happen. I have a hunch, but I can't know either.

You also clearly haven't wrestled at a high level before. Everybody who posted on this thread who has trained at high levels of BJJ and wrestling has acknowledged differences in the training. The claim that wrestling involves laying on top of people is just ignorant.

It's not to insult BJJ. BJJ offers a lot that wrestling doesn't.

Now, I'm not sure if you're trolling or not. Pending on your response, I may disengage.
10/31/12 8:15 PM
caseharts
406 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice use of the word disengage. Phone Post
ajl416az

why should wiggum have to give you the respect of having something as difficult as wrestling, when you have not?

wrestling is harder then BJJ, period.
not only is the talent pool smaller and less developed technically, the entire mentality of the sport makes it harder. there are tons of opportunities to chill in BJJ competition/training. when you're in your guard, when you have dominant position, etc.

but in wrestling, there is no time to chill. the entire time, it's 100% and you can't concede an inch.
and because winning is so hard, training must be even harder

there is a reason wrestlers are so suited for fighting. it's not coincidence that so many wrestlers are mentally tough
DiazWasRobbed

wiggum - DiazWasRobbed: You're a homophobe and I'm not going to engage with that.

You also seem very young or very stupid. As a bunch of people here know, I've been competing and training at the highest levels of wrestling, MMA, and BJJ for some time. That you would guarantee the white belts at your school would tap me is just silly: you have no idea what would happen. I have a hunch, but I can't know either.

You also clearly haven't wrestled at a high level before. Everybody who posted on this thread who has trained at high levels of BJJ and wrestling has acknowledged differences in the training. The claim that wrestling involves laying on top of people is just ignorant.

It's not to insult BJJ. BJJ offers a lot that wrestling doesn't.

Now, I'm not sure if you're trolling or not. Pending on your response, I may disengage.

Sure thing dude. "I may disengage."

You're way too elite and mature for me to be talking to you. I'm going to climb the ranks and establish myself, then, I hope I will be worthy to speak to you. By then I hope your ego has shrunken a little bit, so we can speak without being delusional.
10/31/12 8:16 PM
caseharts

DiazWasRobbed - It's all good dude. I just want some mutual respect, that's all. Wiggum is pissing me the fuck off
It's all fine. I say you go to a wrestling program. At the very least you will learn. That's what I did. Now all my bjj coaches have lots of trouble taking me down. But I'm still a sucker for guillotines Phone Post
10/31/12 8:21 PM
DiazWasRobbed

ajl416az - why should wiggum have to give you the respect of having something as difficult as wrestling, when you have not?

not only is the talent pool smaller and less developed technically, the entire mentality of the sport makes it harder. there are tons of opportunities to chill in BJJ competition/training. when you're in your guard, when you have dominant position, etc.

but in wrestling, there is no time to chill. the entire time, it's 100% and you can't concede an inch.

there is a reason wrestlers are so suited for fighting. it's not coincidence that so many wrestlers are mentally tough

Sigh....When someone is in my guard he is trying to slam me down and break it. This all happens very fast.....no chilling time at all. When i have mount he is trying to bridge and flip me over.....no relaxing
10/31/12 8:24 PM
caseharts

DiazWasRobbed -
ajl416az - why should wiggum have to give you the respect of having something as difficult as wrestling, when you have not?

Sigh....When someone is in my guard he is trying to slam me down and break it. This all happens very fast.....no chilling time at all. When i have mount he is trying to bridge and flip me over.....no relaxing
Dude. You're doing it again. You're looking exclusively from the bjj pov. I promise I've been doing both longer and respectfully understand its a much slower paced sport. It will catch up hopefully one day. Hendricks is a great example of how far wrestling can take you. His bjj isn't his string suit. Phone Post
10/31/12 8:38 PM
REALLYBIGRHINO

wrestling is the hardest sport ever imo
11/24/12 5:23 AM
SinCityHustler

wiggum - 
ZzFDKzZ -  Because you get broken physically and mentally every day in practice. Phone Post

At the end of the Anderson Chael 2 Primetime, Chael broke it down nicely. I came up in the same wrestling circles as Chael (though a generation later) and have had similar experiences.

If you've ever seen Chael's youtube question on mental toughness, he discusses all the doubts and breaking points he faced as a wrestler. He says that he always thought that those were unique to him. It wasn't until he realized that Les Gutches, Dan Gable, and Daniel Cormier all had those same moments of cowardice - and that they recognize and fight through them - that he realized how far he can go.

In the primetime, he was asked why he wasn't afraid of "the best." He said it's because he sees those reputations die inside a practice room. He's seen world champions, Olympic gold medalists become cowards in a practice room. So have I. And that's what makes wrestling special.

Sometimes, I see a camp that doesn't have much wrestlers, but feels like a wrestling culture. Cesar's, JDS' camps, Novia Uniao (sp?). The goal isn't to test your limits, but to break through them. That's wrestling.

Awesome post!  Not at all surprised it was made by you.  

11/24/12 5:41 AM
UGCTT_Sparro
64 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh how I wish the high schools here in the UK did wrestling as a sport, I would of been the 1st one in line to sign up.

In HS I used to be a huge fan of the WWF/E, much like I am the UFC now. I remember when kurt angle first came onto the scene and he was getting heavily pushed for being the 1st Olympic gold medalist to grace the WWE, at the time I always thought WTF ! How can you have wrestling matches that have a fixed outcome as an Olympic sport ?

Then over the years of being on various wrestling Internet forums etc i learned about this American HS sport and what he actually won a gold medal for, ever since then I've been like fuck, why couldn't I do wrestling in HS :( Phone Post
11/24/12 1:43 PM
wiggum

SinCityHustler - 
wiggum - 

Awesome post!  Not at all surprised it was made by you.  

Thanks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.